Sun Ovens International makes a large solar oven called the Villager Sun Oven, which is designed for large-scale feeding situations requiring cooking great volumes of food. Even though it is called an oven, food can be baked, boiled, and steamed at cooking temperatures of 500° F / 260° C with no fuel costs. Over 1,200 meals a day can be cooked. For use at night or on rainy days, the Villager is equipped with a propane back-up unit. This oven weighs 980 pounds / 444b kg. and comes mounted on a trailer.
Villager Sun Ovens are currently in use in 55 countries around the world. The primary use is in large scale feeding or in bakeries. An optional 150 piece Sun-Bakery package, enabling the creation of a self-sustaining micro-enterprise to turn out fresh baked goods while creating jobs and eliminating the cost of fuel, is available. Some schools use a VILLAGER to cook lunches and then bake bread in the afternoon. The bread is sold to help generate income.
The VILLAGERS are made in the U.S. and shipped to the country in which they will be used.
Each VILLAGER SUN OVEN® when utilized as a Sun Bakery can save over 150 tons of wood annually which results in the reduction of 277 tons of CO2 green house gas emissions annually.
VILLAGER SUN OVEN®SOLAR POWERED COOKING FOR HIGH DEMAND FEEDING SITUATIONS
Even though it is called an oven, food can be baked, boiled and steamed.
Bake… hundreds of loaves of bread per dayBoil… countless liters of water
Cook… Virtually Anything: Rice, Beans, Maize, Dahl, Vegetables, Pasta, Fish, Meat...Up to 1,200 meals a day
Sterilize… medical instruments
- High temperatures… in excess of 500 F / 260 C
- Rugged durable construction… designed to last for 15 years
- Easy Track tracking system…enables precise manual adjustment to follow the sun
- Propane back up system…operates on rainy days or at night
- Trailer mounted… easy to transport and secure for storage
- Simple to operate…operators can be trained in a matter of hours
- Collapsible reflector assembly… folds for easy transport and storage
Trailer mounted folded for storage 74in 187.9cm
Trailer mounted open for use 109.5in 287.2cm
Ground level folded for storage 55in 139.7cm
Ground level open for use 99in 251.5cm
At bezel 25.8sqft 2.37sqm
At base 14.7sqft 1.35sqm
Cooking chamber 7cuft . 20cum
Cooking shelf 6.53sqft . 60sqm
Reflective Area 91.75sqft 8.44sqm
Reflector diameter when open 109in 276.9cm
Glass 16sqft 1.47sqm
Deck 4 x 6ft 1.22 x 1.83m
Overall width at fenders 64in 162.5cm
Oven and trailer 980 lbs. 444kg
- 1 Trailer leveling leg
- 1 Trailer dolly
- 2 Jack Stands
- 2-20 lb. propane tanks
- 3 Oven thermometers
- School feeding programs
- Retreat centers
- Refugee programs
- Missions compounds
- Emergency relief
- Hospitals (Cooks food for staff and patients and sterilizes medical instruments.)
In some cases, the same VILLAGER SUN OVEN can be used to serve a number of purposes. Orphanages use them to cook food for the children. In addition, they bake bread which they sell to generate income. The children are able to learn the usable job skill of making bread, and the orphanage benefits from the additional income and money they save by not purchasing cooking fuel.
Solar powered bakeries provide fresh baked goods anywhere the sun shines.
The is available with a 150-piece sun-bakery package. This turn-key package bakery enables the creation of a self-sustaining micro-enterprise to turn out fresh baked goods while creating jobs and eliminating the cost of fuel.
Recent news and developments
- May 2009: Using the Villager Sun Oven - Village Sun Oven YouTube Video
- July 2008: Visiting Google's Cafe Thoreau - Solar cooking at Google
- August 2007: Villager Sun Oven: Bring out the big (solar) guns - Treehugger
- Sun Oven to be Donated to Needy in Haiti
- Industrial Strength Sun Oven
- The Terra Foundation's data sheet on this cooker
- Villager Sun Ovens
- World's Largest Sun Oven at Summerlin Earthfaire
- The Power of Solar Cooking
- Hope in Haiti
- The Solar Cook's Blog - Villager Sun Ovens
- A Google Doc where you can track institutional cookers worldwide
SUN OVENS INTERNATIONAL, INC.
39W835 Midan Drive
Elburn, IL 60119
Toll Free: 800-408-7919