News and recent developments Edit
- Summer 2009: Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker had the opportunity to taste a solar cooked meal as part of the Solar Cooking Challenge. The weather was pretty sketchy that day, but Paul Munsen with Sun Ovens International was able to speak with the Mayor about the many benefits to using a solar oven. The Sun Oven works great as an emergency prep tool. But there was also discussion about its use as a piece of camping equipment. This is a product with many uses, and one that can save money on utility bills because it does not use electricity or gas from a conventional oven. Paul even shared the Water Pasteurization Indicator (WAPI) with Mayor Becker. The WAPI is a simple little tool for knowing when water that is placed in the Sun Oven has been purified, since the water won't really come to a boil in the oven.
Discover the Taste of the Sun! Edit
- Be Prepared for Emergencies
- Slash Utility Bills
- Improve Utah’s Air Quality
- Saving Lives Around The World
- The Ultimate Solar Appliance
Prepare for An Emergency by Harnessing the Power of the Sun=Edit
Preparedness minded people seeking to be prepared for unforeseen events have found SUN OVENS® ideal for cooking when utilities are down.
The SUN OVEN® operates using the power provided freely by one of God's greatest gifts – the sun. Using a SUN OVEN® decreases reliance on electricity and gas, utilities which have been proven to be easily affected during times of trouble. Amounts of stored fuel for cooking purposes can significantly be lessened as well. The SUN OVEN® truly helps in being prepared for any situation, while making the most of God's bountiful gifts at the same time.
Reduce Utility CostsEdit
Rocky Mountain Power estimates that 11.5% of the electricity used in each home in Utah is used for cooking and 29.6% is used for air conditioning. The energy wasted when cooking indoors is more than what's used on the stovetop or in the oven. In the summer, additional energy is often required to cool down the rest of the house, which can get heated up by cooking in the kitchen. When you use a SUN OVEN®, the heat stays outdoors, saving energy costs while benefiting the environment.
Help Fight Air PollutionEdit
Air pollution in Utah is reaching unhealthy levels. The highest ozone concentrations usually occur when there is bright sunshine with high temperatures between 2 p.m. and 8 p.m., May through September. Using a SUN OVEN® decreases peak electricity demand, which improves air quality and makes Utah a better place to live now and for future generations.
Saving Lives by Preserving Forests Around the WorldEdit
SUN OVENS International is committed to providing an alternative to cooking with wood, charcoal, and dung in deforested developing countries which have been blessed with an abundance of sun and is involved in solar cooking projects in deforested countries on five continents. The domestic sales of SUN OVENS ® help finance these endeavors. Forests are dwindling at a more rapid rate than ever before. One third of humanity, over 2.4 billion people, depend on wood and charcoal to prepare food, and the worldwide supply of wood is rapidly decreasing. The acrid smoke from cooking fires subjects women and their children to levels of smoke that are often 100 times above the international safety standards. This results in three deaths a minute, totaling over 1.6 million deaths each year. The use of SUN OVENS® reduces the amount of acrid smoke from cooking fires by up to 70%.
The Ultimate Solar ApplianceEdit
No energy costs, no pollution, just fresh, moist, luscious sun-cooked food. SUN OVEN ® cooking is easy, fun, natural and nutritious. Food can be baked, boiled or steamed at temperatures of 360° to 400° F with the power of the sun. Sun-baked foods stay moister and have less shrinkage than conventionally cooked foods and do not burn or scorch. Sun-baked roasts are tastier and more succulent, and sun-baked bread has unparalleled taste and texture. The aroma of food sunning itself in a SUN OVEN ® is sure to please your senses. SUN OVENS ® are ideal on sunny days year round for camping, everyday use in your back yard, at picnics, or in the event of a power failure. SUN OVENS ® are the perfect solution to cooking while camping in dry forests where open flames are banned. Using a SUN OVEN ® on a boat is easy, fun and safe. SUN OVENS ® can also be used to purify water and dehydrate foods.
- Sun Ovens: An Alternative Cooking Method http://studio5.ksl.com/?nid=59&sid=6090273
- Get Solar Ovens Out and Into Sun http://www.mormontimes.com/mormon_living/tips_living/?id=9923