Last edited: 13 May 2017
The Third National Solar Energy Conference was held in the city of Guichon, Paysandú in 2007.
- NEW: 21-23 March 2019: AfriShiners - The AfriShiners 3rd International Workshop is taking place in Eldoret, Kenya. (Unfortunately, registration is full for this event). More information...
- February 2007: The third national solar energy conference was held in February in the city of Guichon, Paysandú. Sponsored by the Uruguayan Center of Appropriate Technologies (CEUTA), delegates attended from all departments in the country. Also attending were representatives of the National Bureau for the Environment (DINAMA), U.N. Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), and the municipal government of Paysandú. Solar cookers were on display in Plaza Williman, where they could be seen by the general public. The city of Guichon was the site of a workshop on construction and use of solar cookers in 2004. Out of that gathering has grown the national solar conferences. The fourth national conference will be held early in 2008. Contact: Juan José Oña
- August 2006: Juan José Oña reports that Uruguay observed its Solar Week with the Second National Conference on Solar Energy in Montevideo in March. The Uruguayan Center of Appropriate Technologies (CEUTA) formed a network of solar promoters at last year's conference and has held workshops nationwide during the past year. These actions have invigorated the solar cooking movement in Uruguay, which was reflected in this year's conference. The events featured solar cookers, water heaters, and solar food dryers designed and built by inventors from across the country. People who had attended earlier workshops were invited to a special workshop to deepen their skills. The workshop featured solar cooking promoters Pedro Serrano of Chile and Alfredo Estevez of Argentina. Brazil also sent representatives to the conference, where promoters shared their experiences with solar technology and training and discussed future plans. The conference also included a panel discussion on solar energy and public policy. An exhibition in the city center exposed thousands of people to many homemade, low-cost solar devices, and media coverage of the conference was good. The conference was sponsored by CEUTA and a host of governmental and non-governmental agencies. Contact: Juan José Oña
- July 2005: The Centro Uruguayo de Tecnologias Apropriadas took part in organizing Uruguay’s first "National Solar Energy Encounter" in March. The event followed a series of workshops that taught people to build their own solar equipment, including solar ovens, solar water heaters, and solar food dryers. Solar activists from many parts of the country gathered in Montevideo to share ideas and plan future activities. The gathering gained wide exposure in the news media. Contact: Juan José Oña
- Main article: History of solar cooking
Climate and culture
- Find a Kiva microfinance partner in Uruguay.
- See general guidance on raising funds through grants and donations.
Articles in the media
Audio and Video
Grupos de discusión Facebook
- Cocineros Solares
- Cocinillas Solares Sin Fronteras
- Cocina Solar Mexico
- Solar Renewable Energy in Costa Rica
- Solar Show Cooking (Spain)
- Preguntas Frecuentes de la Cocción Solar
- Main article: Solar Cookers International Association
Manufacturers and vendors