|124 Countries · 395 NGOs · 445 Individuals|
165 Manufacturers · 374 Designs · 72 Plans
|Sponsored by Solar Cookers International|
Funded by the Agua Fund, Inc.
Welcome to the Solar Cookers International Network (SCInet) Wiki, the world’s premier resource for solar cooking and related technologies. The articles on this site are consulted more than a quarter million times each month as people seek in-depth information on these topics. This wiki-based site can be edited by everyone and thus offers a global platform for information sharing. Learn about solar cooking field projects, research, design, and promotion. Groups and individuals directly involved in these efforts, as well as solar cooker manufacturers and vendors, are invited to join SCInet and work with us to improve this resource and to further solar cooking around the world. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Solar Cookers International remembers Rabbi Harold M. Schulweis - As co-founder of Jewish World Watch, Rabbi Schulweis was a visionary behind efforts like the Solar Cooker Project to empower and protect refugee women fleeing the Darfur crisis. He will be missed. His obituary is available online.
- José Andrés details his use of solar cookers at Life is Beautiful event in National Geographic - In an article for National Geographic, Chef José Andrés writes about his pop-up restaurant, Sunny Day, which he opened at the Life is Beatufiul event in Las Vegas, NV. Sunny Day used solar cookers to cook their signature dish, vegetarian tacos, during the day and clean-burining ethanol in the evening. Read article...
- Lapin Kulta Solar Kitchen Restaurant featured in The Guardian - Lapin Kulta Solar Kitchen Restaurant, the traveling solar restaurant from Catalan designer Martí Guixé, Chef Antto Melasniemi and Lapin Kulta beer, was featured in an article in The Guardian as an innovative user of solar energy. The piece discusses the journey of this experimental solar restaurant, including how they were able to cook in Finland in -15°C. Also featured are new innovations in photovoltaic technology, a new apartment in Hamburg, Germany which grows algae for fuel with solar energy, and simple method for water disinfection. Read article...
- Another business uses solar cooking to prepare their product - New-member Bjorn Qorn located in New York, USA, has created a large In-the-ground solar cooker to cook their locally-harvested corn for sale as popcorn.
- José Andrés discusses solar and efficient cooking in Time Magazine - As part of the "What I'm Thankful For" series, celebrity chef, José Andrés, explains that he is thankful that his family has a simple and safe method to cook their food, and how solar cooking and other fuel-efficient cooking methods are bringing this benefit to the world's poor, for whom access to traditional cooking fuels is becoming more difficult and expensive every year. Read more...
- Hillary Clinton acknowledges solar cooking's role in solving cooking fuel crisis - In her keynote speech at a Global Alliance meeting, Hillary Clinton stated that students from the Clinton School of Public Service had traveled overseas to teach solar cooking.
- Create an account and log in to turn off most of the ads on this site.
- EG Solar has created a clever animated video short explaining the benefits of solar cooking - Visit EG Solar.
- New SCInet members - The SCInet wishes to welcome new members Engineers Without Borders - Sweden, established by Swedish engineer Stefan Karnebäck, working on water pasteurization projects in Cameroon, and Bjorn Qorn with their solar-cooked popcorn business.
- José Andrés debuts Sunny Day pop-up restaurant at Life is Beautiful festival - At the Life is Beautiful festival in Las Vegas, NV, José Andrés debuted Sunny Day, his new solar-powered pop-up restaurant. His goal for the new pop-up restaurant is to educate Americans about clean cooking around the world. Interview with José Andrés.
- Heat-retention cooker receives world attention - Wonderbag reports that over 650,000 of the brightly colored heat-retention cooking bags have been distributed worldwide.
- Solar cooking in the Navajo nation - Raquel Redshirt presented her solar cooker design at the TEDxABQ 2014 conference in Albuquerque, NM on September, 6 2014. She stated that her solar cooker was a more health-conscious option in her community which has a high rate of diabetes.
- Norwegian start-up company tackles heat storage for solar cookers - Guro Seim, CEO of Morpho Solar, announced a breakthrough in the heat storage capabilities for solar cookers. Read more...
- Global Hope Network International delivers solar cookers to Afghanistan - The Global Hope Network International reports its recent success in transporting 300 solar cookers to rural villages in central Afghanistan where all 300 were purchased by villagers.
- Increased demand and success for solar cooking in Mauritania - Solar Clutch has teamed up with Lutheran World Federation to introduce solar cooking to refugees entering Mauritania. Read more at: Solar Cooker Report Mauritania, April 2014
- Gourmet cook shifts to solar catering - Pierre-André Aubert used a mobile solar kitchen unit with an 8m² Scheffler Reflector, mounted on a trailer, in summer 2014 to cook for various events in the south of France. More info... - (English version)
- New SCInet members - The SCInet wishes to welcome new member Clement Musonda, an engineer promoting solar cooking in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and John Futhey, a solar cooker designer in Santa Rosa, California, USA.
Solar Cookers International Network
Solar cooking basics
- Intro to solar cooking
- Build a solar cooker
- Buy a solar cooker
- Pots, reflectors, etc.
- Cooking guidelines
- Construction plans
- Manufacturers and vendors
- Discussion groups
Teaching and promotion
- Promoting solar cooking
- Most significant projects
- Project evaluations
- Funding your project
- Classroom resources
Solar cooking in depth
- Refugee camps
- Institutional solar cooking
- Testing solar cookers
- Tracking the sun
- Health and safety
- Research topics
- Integrated cooking
- Heat-retention cooking
- Water pasteurization
- Water distillation
- Solar food processing
- Solar canning
- Solar food drying
- Solar autoclave
- Non-cooking uses
- Rocket Stoves
Questions and comments: email@example.com