|135 Countries · 350 NGOs · 274 Individuals|
164 Manufacturers · 403 Designs · 93 Plans
|Sponsored by Solar Cookers International|
Funded by the Agua Fund, Inc.
Solar cooking around the world
- NEW: SCI & GACC Webinar: 31 May 2018, 11 a.m. EDT (15:00 GMT: Solar Cookers International and the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves will present 'The Clean, Sustainable Cooking Solution - Solar Thermal' (Preregistration required)
- 16-18 April 2018: (Tiemcen) The Research-2-Practice Forum 2018: Energy, Water Security and Climate Change in Africa will be meeting at the Pan African University Institute for Water and Energy Sciences (PAUWES) in Tiemcen. Additional support from the German Government and in cooperation with a consortium of German universities (UNU-EHS, ZEF and ITT) led by UNU-EHS and the University Abou Bekr Belkaid in Tlemcen are jointly organizing the forum. The focus of the forum will be to promote and support applied and practice-oriented research and strategic partnerships in renewable energy, water and climate security in Africa. Information & submission guidelines, (due by 8 January 2018)
- NEW: 13-14 April 2018: (Nantes) Stage « Construction de cuiseur solaire », sur deux jours. Vous fabriquerez votre propre cuiseur solaire de A à Z. Tarif : EUR 130 (+ adhésion). Télécharger le programme et la fiche d’inscription.
- NEW: 14 April and 16 June 2018: (Nantes) Stage « Fabrication du cuiseur thermos », sur en jour. Vous fabriquerez votre cuiseur thermos à partir de matériaux de récupération. Une journée pour découvrir son fonctionnement et comment réduire sa facture énergétique. Tarif : EUR 50 (+ adhésion). Réduction de 50% sur les frais de stage pour les étudiants, chômeurs et moins de 25 ans. Télécharger le programme et la fiche d’inscription.
- NEW: 15-16 June 2018: (Nantes) Stage « Construction de cuiseur solaire », sur deux jours. Vous allez fabriquer votre propre cuiseur solaire de A à Z. Tarif : EUR 130 (+ adhésion). Télécharger le programme et la fiche d’inscription.
- NEW: 28-29 September 2018: (Nantes) Atelier « Projet de développement et cuiseurs écologiques » - Deux journées qui permettent aux participants de consolider leur démarche de projet de diffusion de cuisson écologique, et d’acquérir les connaissances sur les différents cuiseurs et sur la fabrication d’un cuiseur à bois économe. Tarif : EUR 100 (+ adhésion) Réduction de 50% sur les frais de stage pour les étudiants, chômeurs et moins de 25 ans. Télécharger le programme et la fiche d’inscription.
- NEW: 8-10 June 2018: (Brösarp) - Food festival demonstration: Solar chef, Sara Hjalmarsson, will be demonstrating solar cooking technology at the Skåne Food Festival held in southern Sweden. Anyone interested in assisting Sara can contact her. She feels there will be a reduced/free entrance to the event for helpers, and possibly she can assist with accomodations. Skåne festival information... Contact Sara
- NEW: 2-4 August 2018: (Näsåker) - Folkfest demonstration: The Urkult festival held in northern Sweden attracts environmentally conscious families from around the world, according to solar chef, Sara Hjalmarsson. She will be demonstrating solar cooking while she prepares various dishes, following a theme of being sustainable, vegan, and gluten-free. The goal is to get people interested and willing to buy solar/thermal. Urkult festival information...
- NEW: 10-13 September 2018: (Rapperswil) - EuroSun 2018: The 12th International Conference on Solar Energy for Buildings and Industry be held on the campus of the HSR University of Applied Science Rapperswil on Lake Zürich. The call for papers is open until 9 March, 2018. More information: http://www.eurosun2018.org, email@example.com
- NEW: 21-23 June 2018: (Kampala) - AfriShiners workshop: Hosted by the Giving Hope Foundation, will be the 2nd international workshop on clean cooking and food processing. The event organizer and Lernen - Helfen - Leben e.V. board member, Bernhard Müller, will be on hand with the Baba Moto improved combustion stove, and will be speaking on energy management. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Faustine Odaba will lead a workshop on fireless cookers. Also included, is a visit to a local solar stove testing facility. Preliminary Program information...
- NEW: 18 March 2018, Sunday: (Tucson) - 4th Annual Free STEM Festival: Citizens for Solar will be demonstrating solar cooking from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. More information...
- NEW: 9-10 April 2018: (Sacramento) - Green California Summit: The annual Green California Summit was established eleven years ago to support emissions reduction and environmental stewardship, and to provide information, education and resources to the public and private sector professionals who create, manage and execute green projects and programs. Admission to the keynote, Expo, and Leadership Awards is free. More information...
- NEW: 17-18 March 2018 (Graysdale) - Survival & Green Living Expo: More information...
- NEW: 2-30 April 2018: (Dodgeville) - The BIETR, etc. exhibit by Joel Goodman will be on display throughout April at the Iowa County Courthouse in Dodgeville from 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. weekdays. It will include solar collector and storage building studies for heating and cooling, solar kitchens for the tropics, reused wind blades, PV pergolas, and various other works. More information...
- Design award: Dr. Ajay Chandak of Promoters, Researchers and Innovators in New and Clean Energy receives Gold Prize at WINTREX in Indonesia
- SUNplicity video: Le nouveau four solaire pliable de SUNplicity modèle 2018
- USA news: Middle school students compete in solar oven challenge
- Wiki article: Haines 2.0 Solar Cooker
- India article in the media: Need low-risk, concessional finance, Narendra Modi says in 10-point action plan - DNA
- Pakistan news: National Environment Mela Held At Ayub National Park - UrduPoint
- India news: ‘Empowering’ men in solar cooking - BusinessLine
- EVENT: 17-18 March 2018 (Graysdale, Illinois, USA): Survival & Green Living Expo - More information...
- EVENT: 18 March 2018 Sunday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. (Tucson, Arizona, USA): 4th Annual Free STEM Festival - Citizens for Solar will be demonstrating solar cooking. More information...
- Article in the media: Idlis Powered by The Sun? This Kerala Firm’s Awesome Innovation Makes Them! - The Better India
- Article in the media: For clean drinking water in Kenya, just add sunshine (and a can) - Reuters
- EVENT: Sustainable cooking program: 14 March 2018, Wednesday (New York City, USA): The Public-Private Alliance Foundation will present a program of panelists representing organizations working to advance solar and biogas cookstoves and fuel, to improve health and daily life in families, create small business opportunities for women and girls, and fight against environmental degradation. From 6:15-8:30pm, and seating is limited. - RSVP by March 9
- SCI & GACC Webinar: 31 May 2018, 11am EST: - Solar Cookers International and the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves will present; The Clean, Sustainable Cooking Solution - Solar Thermal (Preregistration required)
- Heat storage news: Solar powered pizza oven with internal heat storage
- Kenya fireless cooker news: Ongoing fireless cooker workshops are held at the Armstrong Women Empowerment Centre in Rabuor under the direction of Faustine Odaba
- EVENT: 21-23 June 2018: (Kampala, Uganda) - AfriShiners workshop - The 2nd international workshop on clean cooking and food processing
- Fresnel lens news: SunPod-Interview: Sedi Byskov – Polymer Fresnel Lenses (German intro, English interview)
- Kenya news: Scheffler Community Kitchen installed by Altener Solar
- Policy Guide: Communicating Decentralised Renewable Energy to Financiers and Senior Policymakers: A Guide for Campaigners and Non-Governmental Organisations - Climate Outreach
- Solar cooking program analysis: What’s cooking? Unverified assumptions, overlooking of local needs and pro-solution biases in the solar cooking literature - L. Iessaa, et al
- Refugee camp energy use: Prices, Products and Priorities Meeting Refugees’ Energy Needs in Burkina Faso and Kenya - Practical Action
- CONSOLFOOD 2018 Conference posters:
- A Comparison of Copenhagen Solar Cookers with Other Similar Sized Solar Cookers - Sharon Clausson
- Overcoming Obstacles to Solar Cooking in the UK - Dave Oxford and Stewart Maclachlan
- Solar Ovens and Cookers, Powerful Didactic Tool for Green Building (Poster) - Juan Bello Llorente
- CONSOLFOOD 2018 Conference papers:
- Concentrated Solar Thermal Integration into Spice Roasting Industry Tavish Fenbert
- Father Himalaya Solar Furnaces - Jean-Jacques Serra, et al
- DryEcoMate Horticultural Dehydrator Using Solar Thermal and Photovoltaic Energy - J. Garcia, et al
- A Comparison of Copenhagen Solar Cookers with Other Similar Sized Solar Cookers - Sharon Clausson
- The Development of Solar Dryers, the Cuban Experience for Food Preservation - Boris A. Zaldívar Núñez, et al
- Beam Steering Lens Arrays for Solar Cooking - Håkon J Dugstad Johnsen, et al
- Hybrid solar electric cooker: UGLI Hybrid Solar Electric Oven
- Solar cooking book: A Treatise SOLAR COOKERS, by Ashok Kundapur
- Guinea news: Update from Association Des Volontaires Guineens Pour l' Environnement on their work in Guinea
- Lebanon report: Review on solar cooker systems: Economic and environmental study for different Lebanese scenarios - Amal Herez, et al
- EVENT: 6 March 2018, Tuesday (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA): Sci Tech Day with Solar Sisters - Mary Buchenic of Solar Sisters, will discuss the potential global impact of solar cooking and what you can do to help. For school field trips only
- EVENT: 22-24 February 2018: (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA): Celebrate National Engineers Week at Carnegie Science Center with 'Engineer the Future'. Mary Buchenic will be demonstrating solar cookers to encourage future engineers
- Testing news: Performance Evaluation Process featured in Public Private Alliance Foundation newsletter
- EVENT: 9-11 March 2018: (Phamong, Lesotho): The Bethel Business and Community Development Centre is sponsoring a gathering for individuals interested in permaculture approaches to water, food, energy, technology, construction, and landscape development
- EVENT: 10-13 September 2018: (Rapperswil, Switzerland): EuroSun 2018, the 12th International Conference on Solar Energy for Building be held on the campus of the HSR University of Applied Science Rapperswil on Lake Zürich
- Employment opportunity: Solar Cookers International has a job opening for a Program Associate, Special Project Manager, and Administration Associate
- Article in the media: SaltX hackathon winners to solve climate change - The Daily Telescope
- Polish wikis: Koncept Gotowania i Suszenia Solarnego and Koncept Kolektorów Solarnych
- Lesotho news: Solar cooker donations help Lesotho grannies
- Switzerland restaurant: Solar cooking at the Lo'13'to restaurant in Geneva, Switzerland
- EVENT: 2-4 August 2018: (Näsåker, Sweden) - Solar chef, Sara Hjalmarsson, will be demonstrating solar cooking technology at the Skåne Food Festival held in southern Sweden
- EVENT: 8-10 June 2018: (Brösarp, Sweden) - The Urkult festival held in northern Sweden attracts environmentally conscious families from around the world. Solar chef, Sara Hjalmarsson, will be demonstrating sustainable solar cooking
- Conference presentation: Photovoltaic Solar Cooking with Thermal Energy Storage - Antonio Lecuona-Neumann, et al
- Article in the media: SolSource Solar Cooker on ‘Shark Tank’ Offers Cheaper, Lighter $239 Model - Business Spotlight
- Video: Stefan Karnebäck describing how the Heliac solar cooker should be used and the requirements for making it perform optimally
- Portuguese TV: News report on recent CONSOLFOOD 2018 conference
- USA broadcast: One Earth Designs' Catlin Powers will pitch their SolSource parabolic solar cooker on the television show Shark Tank on Sunday, 11 February at 2200 EST.
- Sudan news: Solar box cooker promotion model in Alkiryab village
- Food processing news: ISES Webinar: Solar Food Processing for Income Generation
- EVENT: 9-10 April 2018: (Sacramento, California, USA) - Annual Green California Summit with Expo and educational resources
- EVENT: 13-14 April 2018: (Nantes, France) Stage « Construction de cuiseur solaire », sur deux jours. Vous fabriquerez votre propre cuiseur solaire de A à Z. Tarif : 130 euros (+ adhésion). Télécharger le programme et la fiche d’inscription.
- Manufacturer news: Updated website - All Season Solar Cooker
- CONSOLFOOD 2018: The plaza is filled with solar cookers used at the conference
- Australia resource: Solar Cooking in Australia (Facebook group)
- Mali news: Continued success for solar cooking business in Mali
- Kenya news: The Tonembee Association reports that it distributed 150 solar cookers in Kithuia Village, Kenya in April, 2017 and held three educational events in the area between February and June, 2017.
- Uganda news: Profitable solar cooker business thrives in Mbarara, Uganda
- NGO news: Solar Household Energy: 2017 Annual Report
- SCI news: Submit solar cooking use data for 2019 Global Sustainable Development Report, by 2 February 2018 deadline
- India news: Thuruthikkara is first green village in Kerala
- Haiti news: Haiti Adolescent Girls Network (HAGN) launches solar cooking micro-enterprise program for 16 teen girls - Solavore
- NGO page: Solar Cooking Campaign for Grassroots
- South Africa news: A short film showing local production of Elnatan Calitzdorp Solar Cookers for everyday use
- Solar cooking history: Charles Greeley Abbot's solar cooker from 1940 - National Museum of American History
- Improved combustion stove news: Baba Moto stove from Bernhard Müller - (English version)
- Nepal news: The Foundation for Sustainable Technologies(FoST) demonstrates green technologies in Kathmandu
- Construction plans: Video-assisted construction plans for the Lazola 3 solar box cooker
- India news: Community solar cookers can save fuel, says expert - The Tribune
- India news: PAU professor attends international conference to support solar thermal - The Tribune
- SCI news: Deadline January 15 to vote for SCI, now a finalist in the MIT Climate CoLab "Energy Supply" contest
- Through-the-wall oven design: SunPortal
For older news and new content log, please see the Solar cooking news archive.
The Solar Cooking Wiki
- About this wiki
- Add or edit an article
- Sign up for the SCI Digest
- Become an SCI Associate
- About Solar Cookers International
Solar cooking basics
- Intro to solar cooking
- Build a solar cooker
- Buy a solar cooker
- Pots, glazing, glue, paint, etc.
- Cooking guidelines
- Frequently-asked questions
- Top news
- New content
- Construction plans
- Manufacturers and vendors
- Project evaluations
- Discussion groups
Teaching and promotion
Solar cooking in depth
- Refugee camps
- Institutional solar cooking
- Testing solar cookers
- Tracking the sun
- Heat storage
- Health and safety
- Business development
- Research topics
- Integrated cooking
- Heat-retention cooking
- Water pasteurization
- Improved combustion stoves
- Food processing
- Food drying
- Non-cooking uses