|135 Countries · 350 NGOs · 277 Individuals|
164 Manufacturers · 406 Designs · 94 Plans
|Sponsored by Solar Cookers International|
Funded by the Agua Fund, Inc.
Solar cooking around the world
- SCI & GACC Webinar: 31 May 2018, 11 a.m. EDT (15:00 GMT) - Solar Cookers International and the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves will present 'The Clean, Sustainable Cooking Solution - Solar Thermal' (Preregistration required)
- NEW: 19 August 2018 (Sorède): Journée "Cuisons Solaire" - 2ème Edition - More information...
- 28-29 September 2018 (Nantes): Atelier « Projet de développement et cuiseurs écologiques » - Deux journées qui permettent aux participants de consolider leur démarche de projet de diffusion de cuisson écologique, et d’acquérir les connaissances sur les différents cuiseurs et sur la fabrication d’un cuiseur à bois économe. Tarif : EUR 100 (+ adhésion) Réduction de 50% sur les frais de stage pour les étudiants, chômeurs et moins de 25 ans. Télécharger le programme et la fiche d’inscription.
- NEW: 25-26 May, 2018 (Wietow): Sustainable solar cooking and farming conference - The 10th International SolarZentrum Conference for food quality, solar cooking, drying, farming, and gardening takes place at SolarZentrum MV - (English version), Nr. 11 · 23972 Lübow. Friday will include presentations on solar cooking, drying, farming, food quality, PV lighting options, and more. Saturday is scheduled for preserving foods, solar cooking tips, and at 10 a.m., a solar funnel cooker construction workshop of with Michael Bonke (EUR 10 fee for cooker materials). More information (German)...
- NEW: 19-21 June 2018 (Valencia): IX Congreso Ibérico | VII Congreso Iberoamericano de las Ciencias y Técnicas del Frío - More information... - (English version)
- NEW: 20-22 June 2018 (Madrid): XVI Congreso Ibérico y XII Congreso Iberoamericano de Energía Solar - More information...
- NEW: 17-19 October 2018 (Palma de Mallorca): 2nd International Conference on Solar Technologies and Hybrid Mini-Grids - The deadline for call for papers is 30 May 2018. More information...
- 8-10 June 2018 (Brösarp): Food festival demonstration - Solar chef, Sara Hjalmarsson, will be demonstrating solar cooking technology at the Skåne Food Festival held in southern Sweden. Anyone interested in assisting Sara can contact her. She feels there will be a reduced/free entrance to the event for helpers, and possibly she can assist with accomodations. Skåne festival information... Contact Sara
- 2-4 August 2018 (Näsåker): Folkfest demonstration - The Urkult festival held in northern Sweden attracts environmentally conscious families from around the world, according to solar chef, Sara Hjalmarsson. She will be demonstrating solar cooking while she prepares various dishes, following a theme of being sustainable, vegan, and gluten-free. The goal is to get people interested and willing to buy solar/thermal. Urkult festival information...
- NEW: 27-29 June 2018 (Lausanne): Tech4Dev 2018 - Be part of the solution at the UNESCO Chair in Technologies for Development’s 5th International Conference, Tech4Dev 2018: Voices of the Global South at the SwissTech Convention Center. It is hosted by the Cooperation and Development Center-CODEV at EPFL. Alternative technology approaches, including sustainable solar energy, will be presented. Early bird registration is open, benefit with reduced conference fees. More information...
- 10-13 September 2018 (Rapperswil): EuroSun 2018 - The 12th International Conference on Solar Energy for Buildings and Industry be held on the campus of the HSR University of Applied Science Rapperswil on Lake Zürich. The call for papers is open until 9 March, 2018. More information: http://www.eurosun2018.org, firstname.lastname@example.org
- 21-23 June 2018 (Kampala): AfriShiners workshop - Hosted by the Giving Hope Foundation, will be the 2nd international workshop on clean cooking and food processing. The event organizer and Lernen - Helfen - Leben e.V. board member, Bernhard Müller, will be on hand with the Baba Moto improved combustion stove, and will be speaking on energy management. He can be reached at email@example.com. Faustine Odaba will lead a workshop on fireless cookers. Also included, is a visit to a local solar stove testing facility. Preliminary Program information...
- NEW: 5-8 August 2018 (Boulder, Colorado): SOLAR 2018: Pathways to the Renewable Energy Transformation - The American Solar Energy Society returns to Colorado this year, moving north to Boulder, a city with a progressive sustainable energy vision, to continue the conversation on maximizing renewable energy, and to forge pathways for communities in every state to follow, in achieving renewables-driven electrification, climate resilience, and clean-energy driven opportunities for all. More information...
- Individual promoter: Bernardo Sosa
- Wiki article: Tolokatsin Solar Cooker
- Wiki article: SolarFlex Food Dryer
- Solar drying news: Wasting Less of Africa’s Harvest in Order to Prosper - The New York Times
- Refugee camp news: Derk Rijks reports that 4000 Darfuri women at Iridimi Refugee Camp in Chad have qualified for and received Carbon Credits from the UN Gold Standard Foundation. More information...
- Video: Inclined trough line concentrating solar steam generator for which Ajay Chandak is seeking a US partner (Contact...)
- EVENT: 5-8 August 2018 (Boulder, Colorado, USA): SOLAR 2018: Pathways to the Renewable Energy Transformation
- Puerto Rico news: - A solar cooker request has resulted in parabolic cooker training coordinated by several organizations. Solar ovens are also provided to other hard hit rural areas.
- Solar cooker/dryer design: Muhammed Yasin Khan offers his version of a solar box oven with a solar dryer attachment.
- Individual promoter: Marie-Line Dupuy
- EVENT: 19-21 June 2018 (Valencia, Spain): IX Congreso Ibérico VII Congreso Iberoamericano de las Ciencias y Técnicas del Frío
- EVENT: 20-22 June 2018 (Madrid, Spain): XVI Congreso Ibérico y XII Congreso Iberoamericano de Energía Solar
- EVENT: 19 August 2018 (Sorède, France): Journée "Cuisons Solaire" - 2ème Edition
- EVENT: 17-19 October 2018 (Palma de Mallorca, Spain): 2nd International Conference on Solar Technologies and Hybrid Mini-Grids
- Charcoal production news: Champion of the Earth Fatima Jibrell attends high-level talks on Somalia’s illegal charcoal trade - UNDP
- Zambia news: Pasteurizng water in Lusaka with the Heliac solar cooker to help curtail the spread of cholera
- Construction plans: Video-assisted construction plans for the Lazola 3 solar box cooker (English, German)
- Parabolic cooker news: Spanish documentation on the SK1.4 parabolic solar cooker
- Zimbabwe news: Low Awareness Restrains Growth of Solar Technologies - Inter Press Service
- EVENT: 25-26 May, 2018 (Wietow, Germany): SolarZentrum sustainable solar cooking and farming conference at the Solar Center MV
- Mexico news: Desarrollo, implementación y apropiación de cocinas solares para el medio rural de Michoacán - M. González-Avilés, Bernardo López-Sosa, et al
- Testing research: Evaluation framework for small-dimension solar cookers - Bernardo López-Sosa
- Photovoltaic cooking news: Photovoltaic cooking makes sense - IDTechEx
- NGO page: Public Private Alliance Foundation
- Mexico news: Bernardo López Sosa, tecnologías para las comunidades indígenas - (English version)
- Photovoltaic cooking news: IIT-B sends cooking for a SIX - The Asian Age
- Classroom resources: Solar Cooking Education in the Classroom: Activities and Experiments Lesson Plans - Global Development Solutions
- Classroom resource: Solar Cookers - Effective Tools for 3-D Learning - Mary Buchenic
- India news: Oil minister Pradhan attends ONGC Solar Chulha Challenge - The Econimic Times
- Photovoltaic solar cooking news: IIMK LIVE hosts Live Demo of Solar Cooking Innovation - India EducationDiary.com
- Haiti news: John Buchenic created Global Development Solutions to support international nonprofit agencies. - The Vindicator
- Rocket Stove video: El Procedimiento de la Construcción de una Cocina Rocket
- USA news: Hubbard, Ohio lawyer runs nonprofit to maximize US aid to poor nations - The Vindicator
- India news: The Jimmy McGilligan Centre for Sustainable Development has its first solar food fest to celebrate Sustainable Development Week - The Times of India
- USA news: Harnessing the Sun with a Solar Oven to Make Blue Hopi Cornbread - Mother Earth News
- EVENT: 18 April 2018, Wednesday (Cape Girardeau, Missouri, USA): EcoPalooza - Earth Day celebration at Southwest Missouri State University
- Zambia news: Cooking Without Charcoal - Zambia Daily Mail
- India news: Task force meet held for mass solar cooking options - Central Chronicle
- Mali news: Togo Tilé's new workshop and ICS-shop in Segou is now ready and will be officially opened this month. There are 80 employees, all young and mostly women selling products in 17 locations throughout Mali.
- Solar drying news: AIWC promotes solar-dried veggies and fruits - The Hans India
- Solar drying news: Now, healthy and storable ‘solar dried food’ - The New Indian Express
- Costa Rica news: Video of Dr. Nandwani showing his various solar cookers explaining how they work
- Solar wall oven news: Frugal, yet high tech, innovations that can change your lives - The Hindu BusinessLine
- Tanzania news: Results from SCI project shows that 60 families were able to reduce their use of cooking fuel by 25% through the use of the Integrated Cooking Method
- EVENT: 27-29 June 2018 (Lausanne, Switzerland): Tech4Dev 2018 - Voices of the Global South at the SwissTech Convention Center. Alternative technology approaches, including sustainable solar energy, will be presented.
- EVENT: 28 April 2018, Saturday (Tucson, Arizona, USA): Solar Cooking Potluck - Citizens for Solar will host the 36th Annual Solar Potluck at Catalina State Park. Activities will begin at 10 a.m.
- SCI news: Employment opportunities at Solar Cookers International
- EVENT: 14 April 2018, Saturday (Mesa, Arizona, USA): Celebrate Mesa at Pioneer Park with solar cooking and other sustainable activities from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Manufacturer news: Solar Energy Cooking Challenge with GoSun's Patrick Sherwin -Cision PRWeb
- Dominican Republic news: Solar Oven Partners UMC introduce solar cooking in Monte Cristi
- Nigeria news: Abuja Junior School Invents Solar Cooker - PM News
- Solar Wall Oven design: Variation to the Paul Funk and Barbara Kerr design
- India news: Meet Janak Palta: Woman Who Conceptualised Sustainable Living & Empowered Women - The Logical Indian
- Refugee camp news: Solarkocher für Flüchtlinge in Uganda - PNP (English version)
- Vietnam news: Solar Serve News #54
- Design award: Dr. Ajay Chandak of Promoters, Researchers and Innovators in New and Clean Energy receives Gold Prize at WINTREX in Indonesia
- SUNplicity video: Le nouveau four solaire pliable de SUNplicity modèle 2018
- USA news: Middle school students compete in solar oven challenge
- Wiki article: Haines 2.0 Solar Cooker
- India news: Need low-risk, concessional finance, Narendra Modi says in 10-point action plan - DNA
- Pakistan news: National Environment Mela Held At Ayub National Park - UrduPoint
- India news: ‘Empowering’ men in solar cooking - BusinessLine
- EVENT: 17-18 March 2018 (Graysdale, Illinois, USA): Survival & Green Living Expo - More information...
- EVENT: 18 March 2018 Sunday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. (Tucson, Arizona, USA): 4th Annual Free STEM Festival - Citizens for Solar will be demonstrating solar cooking. More information...
- India news: Idlis Powered by The Sun? This Kerala Firm’s Awesome Innovation Makes Them! - The Better India
- Kenya news: For clean drinking water in Kenya, just add sunshine (and a can) - Reuters
- EVENT: Sustainable cooking program: 14 March 2018, Wednesday (New York City, USA): The Public-Private Alliance Foundation will present a program of panelists representing organizations working to advance solar and biogas cookstoves and fuel, to improve health and daily life in families, create small business opportunities for women and girls, and fight against environmental degradation. From 6:15-8:30pm, and seating is limited. - RSVP by March 9
- SCI & GACC Webinar: 31 May 2018, 11am EST: - Solar Cookers International and the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves will present; The Clean, Sustainable Cooking Solution - Solar Thermal (Preregistration required)
- Heat storage news: Solar powered pizza oven with internal heat storage
- Kenya fireless cooker news: Ongoing fireless cooker workshops are held at the Armstrong Women Empowerment Centre in Rabuor under the direction of Faustine Odaba
- EVENT: 21-23 June 2018: (Kampala, Uganda) - AfriShiners workshop - The 2nd international workshop on clean cooking and food processing
- Fresnel lens news: SunPod-Interview: Sedi Byskov – Polymer Fresnel Lenses (German intro, English interview)
For older news and new content log, please see the Solar cooking news archive.
- For questions and comments about the Solar Cooking Wiki (this website), contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Solar Cooking Wiki
- About this wiki
- Add or edit an article
- Sign up for the SCI Digest
- Become an SCI Associate
- About Solar Cookers International
Solar cooking basics
- Intro to solar cooking
- Build a solar cooker
- Buy a solar cooker
- Pots, glazing, glue, paint, etc.
- Cooking guidelines
- Frequently-asked questions
- Top news
- New content
- Construction plans
- Manufacturers and vendors
- Project evaluations
- Discussion groups
Teaching and promotion
Solar cooking in depth
- Refugee camps
- Institutional solar cooking
- Testing solar cookers
- Tracking the sun
- Heat storage
- Health and safety
- Business development
- Research topics
- Integrated cooking
- Heat-retention cooking
- Water pasteurization
- Improved combustion stoves
- Food processing
- Food drying
- Other non-cooking uses