The UN refugee agency, Stichting Vluchteling (Netherlands Refugee Foundation) and the Vajra Foundation have teamed up to distribute solar cookers in the Nepalese camps. The project in Nepal is financed by the Dutch Postcode Lottery, which has been supporting UNHCR's work worldwide since 2002.
Most significant projects
- 85,000 refugees from Bhutan have solar cooked their meals in Nepal - The Vajra Foundation Holland (Stichting Vajra) has worked in the Bhutanese refugee camps in Nepal since 1995 to bring solar cooking and heat-retention cooking to the refugees there. By 2013 some 85,000 refugees were cooking their meals using these methods. The on-the-ground work is done by Vajra Foundation Nepal and financing is provided by the Dutch Lottery and the Dutch NGO Stichting Vluchteling.
- See other Most significant solar cooking projects worldwide.
Recent news and developments
- February 2008: Bhutanese refugees in Nepal have a new way to prepare meals, without firewood, kerosene or the risk of smoke inhalation - the solar cooker. - Ode Magazine
- February 2008: Feature: Sunny side up - The Financial Times
- July 2007: Dutch children learn to cook crêpes on solar cookers used in Nepal camps - Reuters
2517 HZ The Hague
Tel: + 31 70 346 89 46
Fax: + 31 70 361 57 40