Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Last updated: 21 September 2016
Solar box cookers typically cook food at temperatures in the 100 - 175 °C (212 - 347 °F) range. Depending on their size, this type of solar cooker can accommodate multiple pots simultaneously. The sides and bottom are insulated to retain cooking heat. Worldwide, they are the most widespread. There are several hundred thousand in India alone.
Simple solar box cooker designs to build are the Easy Lid Cooker and the "Minimum" Solar Box Cooker. An example of a popular well-constructed manufactured solar box cooker is the All American Sun Oven.
Advantages and disadvantages
- Can cook multiple pots simultaneously
- Can be built from several types of simple materials
- Can cook large quantities of food using multiple pots simultaneously
- Most modes rarely have to be turned to follow the sun while cooking
- Can be used to bake breads and cakes
- Cannot fry foods
- Simple box cookers may lack adequate reflector area
- The box may shade the cooking pot when the sun is lower in the sky. Manufactured box cookers often have a mechanism to tilt the cooker forward, while maintaining a flat cooking tray
- February 2015: Comparative assessment of two different designs of box solar cookers under algerian sahara conditions - F. Yettou, et al
- December 2013: Réalisation et expérimentation d’un cuiseur solaire boîte à surface réceptrice inclinée muni d’un réflecteur plan - F. Yettou, B. Azoui, A. Malek, A. Gama, M.A. Rouissa et O. Benzeggouta
- September 2009: Contribution à l’amélioration des performances d’un cuiseur solaire boîte - Arezki Harmim, M. Belhamel, M. Boukar et M. Amar
- January 1990: Comparative Study of Box-Type Solar Cookers in Nicaragua — Daniel Kammen and William F. Lankford. Published in Solar & Wind Technology