Solar cookers can be used with pressure cookers or similar devices to provide the heat for autoclave of medical instruments.
Articles in the media
- Students create Salud del Sol to market solar cookers as autoclaves in Nicaragua - State Department Federal Credit Union Brass Magazine
- June 2009: Harnessing Both Sun and Cell Phone to Close Gaps in Local Health Care - Worldchanging
- October 2003: Solar power cooks medical waste - BBC
- Naim Janmohamed M.D. is a pediatrician with programs in Kenya, and is a U.N. Rep. for Solar Cookers International. Dr. Janmohamed has been using solar cookers and pressure cookers to sterilize medical instruments for health centres miles away from regular supplies of electricity.
- Barbara Kerr has experience with solar autoclaves