Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Last updated: 23 July 2016
Solar Smelters International is a non-profit organization - dedicated to providing high temperature solar energy applications for those in need - promoting and educating the public regarding industrial solar process heat and the safety of its use; encouraging all concerned to harness concentrated sunlight for materials processing - such as smelting of rocks/glass/metals, and for the processing of waste/chemicals via industrial solar process temperatures in producing steam/water distillation. The organization founder is Martin Nix.
Recent News and developments
- May 2015: Solar Smelters Global is now a real live corporation. The company will design the mass assembly line, and market to other companies, worldwide. This Patented device turns out 10,000 degrees, the surface temperature of the sun, which not only can melt rock and glass, it can make steam, hot heat transfer fluids like oil, or hot air (my favorite) to drive a turbine. Working on the funding.(Solar Smelters International Facebook post)
- January 2013: Martin Nix has received patent approval for his 'Half Parabolic Dish Reflector with Planar Reflector Solar Smelter' design. Martin explains that it is an improvement over existing smelter technology, in that it puts the focus of the sun safely into a hole in the ground. That means the focus of the sun is not in the air, where the melted metal can spill on people, or where someone can get injured. The focus or target does not move around, but is stable. Not only can this device be used as a solar cooker, it can also be used to generate steam, sterilize medical instruments, or melt rocks, glass and metals. Read more about the solar smelter and Martin's patent history at: Half Parabolic Dish Reflector with Planar Reflector Solar Smelter patent approval
Audio and video
The following documents are blueprints of solar smelters:
- Build-it-yourself blueprint 1
- Build-it-yourself blueprint 2
- Build-it-yourself blueprint 3
- Build-it-yourself blueprint 4
- Build-it-yourself blueprint 5
- Patent application title: Half parabolic dish reflector with planar reflector solar smelter, April, 2010