Last updated: May 10, 2016
Solar Punch is a popular New York, USA musical group that uses music to educate audiences about the environment. By using solar energy exclusively to power their performances and demonstrations, they believe that they become a solution to the climate challenge. They want to "inspire by doing... by showing...by inter-acting":
- "In remote farm villages. In mountain resorts. On islands and in urban areas. Our sound and show are portable. We are able to get most of our gear into a few suitcases, making it possible for us to bring our show to remote regions all over the world...
- "We are passionate about both the content (message) and the package (music) we want to entertain, thrill and enlighten but we also want to make sure our facts are correct, our information is current and our demonstrations are effective...
- "As we travel, we develop media and materials to help transmit how we work, why understanding and protecting the environment is a great thing and how the message itself is cross-cultural, cross-generational and world embracing..."
This text was borrowed from http://www.solarpunch.org/solarpunch/the_mission,_the_message,_the_method.html .
The group began showcasing various solar cookers at their events in 2000.
- NEW: January 2016: CONSOLFOOD 2016 presentation poster. Suara Yatra - Our Reflections on Solar-Thermal Applications - James Dean Conklin, Alan Bigelow, Andrew Mattina, Solar Punch
- June 2015: Solar trekking in Nepal planned for November 2015 - James Dean Conklin of Solar Punch has announced plans for a return solar trekking trip to Nepal in November 2015, and a second possible trip planned for November 2016. Those interested in participating should contact Solar Punch.
- March 2015: Alan Bigelow of Solar Punch has released this short trailer documenting some of the experiences they shared with fellow trekkers on the 2014 Solar Himalayan Trek.
- January 29, 2010: (Greenburgh, New York) Hope 2 Haiti benefit performance, 1pm - 6pm
- February 6 2010: (Hastings-on-Hudson, New York) Hope 2 Haiti benefit performance, 3pm - 5pm
Articles in the media
- December 2015: Solar Punch interview - The Himalayan
To find out about all scheduled performances and about the band:
Tel.: +1 646 279-3838