|135 Countries · 350 NGOs · 274 Individuals|
162 Manufacturers · 399 Designs · 91 Plans
|Sponsored by Solar Cookers International|
Funded by the Agua Fund, Inc.
Solar cooking around the world
- NEW: 16-18 April 2018: (Tiemcen) The Research-2-Practice Forum 2018: Energy, Water Security and Climate Change in Africa will be meeting at the Pan African University Institute for Water and Energy Sciences (PAUWES) in Tiemcen. Additional support from the German Government and in cooperation with a consortium of German universities (UNU-EHS, ZEF and ITT) led by UNU-EHS and the University Abou Bekr Belkaid in Tlemcen are jointly organizing the forum. The focus of the forum will be to promote and support applied and practice-oriented research and strategic partnerships in renewable energy, water and climate security in Africa. Information & submission guidelines, (due by 8 January 2018)
- 22-24 January 2018: (Faro) CONSOLFOOD 2018 is scheduled to take place at the Instituto Superior de Engenharia, Universidade do Algarve, Campus da Penha. This solar cooking conference will include oral sessions, keynote lectures, a round table discussion, and a poster session. The deadline for submission of abstracts for presentation consideration was 30 September 2017.
- NEW: 10 March 2018, Saturday: (Sacramento) - Solar workshop for educators: For grade levels 3-12+, participants at the SMUD workshop will learn about the history and science of solar thermal technology, which will include solar cooking. Held at SMUD facilities at 6301 S Street from 9am-3pm, the focus will be on how educators can best bring these concepts into their classrooms. More information...
- (Saint George) Solar Cooker at Cantina West will arrange solar cooking classes and demonstrations throughout Utah and southern Nevada for interested groups. More information...
- Haiti news: Haiti Adolescent Girls Network (HAGN) launches solar cooking micro-enterprise program for 16 teen girls - Solavore
- NGO page: Solar Cooking Campaign for Grassroots
- South Africa news: A short film showing local production of Elnatan Calitzdorp Solar Cookers for everyday use
- Solar cooking history: Charles Greeley Abbot's solar cooker from 1940 - National Museum of American History
- Improved combustion stove news: Baba Moto stove from Bernhard Müller - (English version)
- Nepal news: The Foundation for Sustainable Technologies(FoST) demonstrates green technologies in Kathmandu
- Construction plans: Video-assisted construction plans for the Lazola 3 solar box cooker
- India news: Community solar cookers can save fuel, says expert - The Tribune
- India news: PAU professor attends international conference to support solar thermal - The Tribune
- SCI news: Deadline January 15 to vote for SCI, now a finalist in the MIT Climate CoLab "Energy Supply" contest
- Through-the-wall oven design: SunPortal
- India news: PEC to have solar tech park on campus by February, 2018 - The Times of India
- Peru news: Engineering hope: Students, faculty developing life-saving indoor air quality solutions in Peru - Seminole State College
- India news: Indore: Energy conservation inevitable for sustainable development - The Free Press Journal
- Reflector construction news: Making the Petals of Solar Cookers with Mylar and Sheet Coroplast - Elmo Dutra
- East Timor news: Rainbow Power Company donates solar oven to Timor-Leste - Echo NetDaily
- Disaster relief news: 'Like Going Back in Time’: Puerto Ricans Put Survival Skills to Use - The New York Times
- USA news: The Sun Shines in Denver - Green Fire Times
- Zimbabwe news: Thermos bag: A masterstroke in saving energy - NewsDay
- Australia news: Solar-powered cooking to heat up no-waste festival - SBS
- Wiki article: Asulma Centre Self Help Group
- EVENT: 10 March 2018, Saturday: (Sacramento, California, USA) Solar workshop for educators - For grade levels 3-12+, participants at the SMUD workshop will learn about the history and science of solar thermal technology, which will include solar cooking, and how to bring the concepts into their classrooms.
- USA/Uganda news: Arkansas Sixth-Graders Design Ovens for Uganda Community - USNews
- EVENT: 16-18 April 2018: (Tiemcen, Algeria):- The Research-2-Practice Forum 2018: Energy, Water Security and Climate Change in Africa will be meeting at the Pan African University Institute for Water and Energy Sciences.
- Afghanistan news: Trust in Education leads the way in distributing inexpensive solar cookers
- Nicaragua news: Solar energy ‘like light from heaven’ for rural Nicaragua - The Irish Times
- WAPI news: Akihiko Kumagai and Marshall Ndlovu from California State University, Sacramento, California, USA, offer a series of short videos explaining WAPI production
- Improved combustion stove news: Can these 'stoves' finally crack the clean cooking problem? - Devex
- Kenya news: Bernhard Müller of Lernen - Helfen - Leben e.V. held a 2-day solar cooking workshop at the Korando Education Centre in Kisumu County, Kenya.
- Madagascar news: Regula Ochsner, of Association pour le Développement de l'Energie Solaire, reports on their recent solar cooking activity in Madagascar
- Nepal news: FoST demonstration of sustainable technologies at the Kathmandu International Study Center, Dhobighat, Kathmandu, Nepal
- Individual news: Louise Meyer to be the recipient of the Leaders in Energy award
- Food processing news: An updated program for CONSOLFOOD 2018, which takes place in Faro, Portugal in January, is now available.
- Manufacturer news: The popular All Season Solar Cooker has been updated for 2017
- Heat storage publication: Experimental characterization of a solar cooker with thermal energy storage based on solar salt - G. Coccia, G Di Nicola, S Tomassetti, G. Gabrielli, M. Chieruzzi, M. Pierantozzi - Journal of Physics
- Somalia news: The Somalia government has announced that it will include solar cooking in their Nationally Determined Contributions, the national statement that defines a country's approach to achieving the goals outlined in the Paris Agreement (reported at COP23).
- Photovoltaic cooker design: Compact photovoltaic 12v induction cooker prototype - Puttaraj & Ashok Kundapur
- Chad news: Jesuit inventor frees women from the bondage of firewood and smoke
- EVENT: : 29 November, 2017, Wednesday (Online webinar): Winrock & U.S. EPA Cook Stoves & Indoor Air presents a webinar to hear Jim Jetter and his U.S. EPA colleagues discuss results from recent EPA cookstove research, including the latest round of cookstove/fuel test reports.
- EVENT: : 30 November-1 December, 2017 (Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, USA): The Student Energy Summit will take place at the Carnegie Science Center, with this year's theme of Innovations in Energy.
- Nicaragua news: Solar energy ‘like light from heaven’ for rural Nicaragua - Irish Times
- United Kingdom news: Great British Solar Bake Off 2017, held in Chepstow, United Kingdom
For older news and new content log, please see the Solar cooking news archive.
The Solar Cooking Wiki
- About this wiki
- Add or edit an article
- Sign up for the SCI Digest
- Become an SCI Associate
- About Solar Cookers International
Solar cooking basics
- Intro to solar cooking
- Build a solar cooker
- Buy a solar cooker
- Pots, glazing, glue, paint, etc.
- Cooking guidelines
- Frequently-asked questions
- New content
- Construction plans
- Manufacturers and vendors
- Project evaluations
- Discussion groups
Teaching and promotion
Solar cooking in depth
- Refugee camps
- Institutional solar cooking
- Testing solar cookers
- Tracking the sun
- Heat storage
- Health and safety
- Business development
- Research topics
- Integrated cooking
- Heat-retention cooking
- Water pasteurization
- Improved combustion stoves
- Food processing
- Food drying
- Non-cooking uses