|130 Countries · 395 NGOs · 330 Individuals|
163 Manufacturers · 375 Designs · 74 Plans
|Sponsored by Solar Cookers International|
Funded by the Agua Fund, Inc.
- GoSol.org is currently fundraising through their #FreeTheSun crowdfunding campaign. The campaign can be seen at http://www.gosol.org/FreeTheSun.
- Featured presentation from the SCInet Solar Cooking Convention 2014:
- You can now see all new content as it is added to the site by visiting this page: New content
- Investment brings large-scale solar cooking to Chennai school for orphans and underprivileged boys - Starting in 2013, a partnership between the UNDP, India's Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, and the Global Environment Facility, led to a project to install an ARUN®100 solar concentrator at the Ramakrishna Mission’s Students’ Home. The system provides enough energy to cook 3,000 meals per day and reduces LPG consumption by half, which leads to a savings of US$8,000 per year. Read more...
- Women's Day event in India promotes solar cooking - Sanjib Rout, Chairman of the C.V. Raman College of Engineering organized a workshop on "Solar Cooking for a Healthy & Better Life" at the Bhubaneswar Club in Odisha, India to raise awareness of the potential of solar cooking for commercial applications.
- Show your solar cooker design to the United Nations Development Program - The UN is now assessing what viable small and institutional-sized solar cookers are available in the marketplace for widespread distribution in emergency situations. Proposals must be submitted by 5 p.m. Friday, March 27, 2015. Read more...
- Solar cooker drawings by refugee users now available online - View drawings...
- Show your solar cooker to the Global Alliance - The Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves maintains a catalog of approved stoves, including ten solar cookers and one heat-retention cooking device. See the catalog You can apply to have your solar cooker added. Read more...
- New solar cooking organization in India - On January 23, 2015 Solar Cookers India was formed. Dr. Janak Palta McGilligan has graciously offered her services as the Honorary Executive Director of this new organization, which will work in close partnership with Solar Cookers International.
- SCInet member wins national award - Dr. Janak Palta McGilligan won the prestigious national Padmashri award for distinguished achievement in social service on January 26, 2015. The Padma Awards is one of the highest civilian awards given in India. As former Director and Founder of the Barli Development Institute for Rural Women, she pioneered solar parabolic cooking for institutional solar cooking.
- Apply for the BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Awards: Solar Cookers International has a unique opportunity to nominate projects from SCInet members for the 2015 BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Awards. All materials must be in English. Read more...
- EVENT: International Solar Energy Society webinar on Solar Food Processing for Income Generation - On March 11, the International Solar Energy Society (ISES) will be hosting a webinar on how solar food processing can be used for income generation. "Expert speakers will show examples of how solar food processing can be a profitable business venture. The panelist speakers will present case studies where individuals and companies use solar cooking techniques to earn their living and have made a successful and professional business." Presenters include:
- The webinar will be held from 3:00pm - 4:30pm GMT (7:00am - 8:30am PST/10:00am - 11:30pm EST). More info and registration...
- Apply for the SEED Award - The SEED Awards recognize "the most promising, innovative and locally-led start-up social and environmental enterprises in countries with developing and emerging economies. The independent SEED International Jury of experts selects enterprises which have the potential to make real improvements in poverty eradication and environmental sustainability while contributing to a greener economy." Apply by March 31, 2015. Read more...
- SCInet welcomes new members this month:
- Pat Browne, a solar cooking promoter in California, USA
- ATP GreenTech Pvt Ltd, a leading supplier of solar cookers and sustainable living promoter in Delhi, India along with their CEO Charanjit Khurana
- The SELCO Foundation, a sustainable lifestyle foundation in India
- Atul Sagade a solar cooking promoter in Maharashtra, India
- Garden of God Naturestead, promoting solar cooking in Lagos, Nigeria
- Sun Frost, makers of the Sun Frost Cooker-Sterilizer
- Friends of Solar Cooking Arizona, USA, organized by Berta Nelson
Solar Cookers International Network
Solar cooking basics
- Intro to solar cooking
- Build a solar cooker
- Buy a solar cooker
- Pots, reflectors, etc.
- Cooking guidelines
- Construction plans
- Manufacturers and vendors
- Discussion groups
Teaching and promotion
- Promoting solar cooking
- Most significant projects
- Project evaluations
- Funding your project
- Classroom resources
Solar cooking in depth
- Refugee camps
- Institutional solar cooking
- Testing solar cookers
- Tracking the sun
- Health and safety
- Research topics
- Integrated cooking
- Heat-retention cooking
- Water pasteurization
- Fuel-efficient woodstoves
- Water distillation
- Solar food processing
- Solar canning
- Solar food drying
- Solar autoclave
- Non-cooking uses
Questions and comments: firstname.lastname@example.org