The Solar Cookers World Network is an alliance of over 300 NGOs, businesses, educational institutions, manufacturers, and governments agencies in over 50 countries. Its purpose is to improve health, economics, societies and environments through collective actions to spread solar cooking, water pasteurization and food processing, especially to regions of greatest need. The US NGO Solar Cookers International sponsors the Network and acts as its secretariat. If you or your organization are an active solar cooking promotor or manufacturer of solar cookers, join the Network by filling out this online form.
Solar Cookers World Leaders by World Region and Country
Activities include collective advocacy, technology and networking. Solar cookers, pasteurizers and food processers have access to policy makers through Solar Cookers International's consultative status with United Nations agencies. Volunteer U.N. representatives educate policy makers and contribute to policies formations. These open doors for SCWNet members to advocate and work with agencies in their country offices. These agencies include:
- World Health Organization (WHO), for smoke and water-borne diseases reduction.
- High Commissioner for Refugees (HCR), to relieve extreme hardships in fuel-scarce, dangerous areas, Framework Convention on Climate Change (FCCC) for reduced CO2 and carbon particulates.
- Commission for Sustainable Development (CSD)
- Country goals for Millennium Development Goals are reducing poverty, improving health and education.
Many Network members agree to be listed for advocacy on behalf of solar cooking, and provide demonstrations, training and resources at conferences, public venues and for new groups.
See main article: Advocacy resolutions to date
Current efforts include:
- Updating standards for evaluating solar cookers performance for diverse consumer needs. Leading this is Prof. Ajay Chandak at Promoters and Researchers in Non-Conventional Energy (PRINCE) in India.
- The Network and PRINCE are sponsoring an International Competition in Dhule, India, October 11-13, 2011.
- Upscaling capacities to produce, distribute, introduce and maintain services to serve worldwide needs at greater capacity.
- Members share information through their web pages in this wiki website.
- Occasional conferences allow discussions on ways to increase marketing and visibility of our simple solutions. The most recent international conference was in Spain in 2006, and since then there have been two regional conferences in Asia - in Kathmandu, Nepal in 2007, and in Indore, India in 2009.
- Online discussion groups allow association members to freely share ideas and experiences. Each section works independently, among its interested participants.
- Solar Cookers International's Solar Cooker Review includes news sent by promoters.
- Occasional E-News alerts solar cookers leaders to opportunities to collaborate.
Join the Solar Cookers World Network
If you are a solar cooking promotor, designer, or manufacturer, and you would like to be included in the Network, fill out this online form. If you have questions contact Tom Sponheim at: email@example.com
DONATIONS support the Network activities, maintain a highest-quality website,and increase all our opportunities for success. Donate by credit card or PayPal. All donations are tax-deductible in the USA through the Network’s sponsor, Solar Cookers International, a 501-c-3 not-for-profit organization. THANK YOU.
Recent news and developments
- September 2009: The September 2009 issue of Solar Cookers World Network's newsletter is now online.
- April 2009 New newsletter for the new Canada/USA/Europe Net. Scroll down for more information.
- February 2009: SCWNet Newsletter
- November 2008: SCIA Newsletter
- October 2008: SCIA Newsletter
- May 2008: SCIA Newsletter
- January 2008: SCIA Newsletter
- July 2007: SCIA Newsletter
The Network was formed as the Solar Cookers International Association at the 2006 International Conference on Solar Cookers and Food Processing in Granada, Spain, and renamed to the Solar Cookers World Network in 2009.