|133 Countries · 395 NGOs · 314 Individuals|
170 Manufacturers · 386 Designs · 88 Plans
|Sponsored by Solar Cookers International|
Funded by the Agua Fund, Inc.
Solar cooking around the worldEdit
- October 3 - November 13, 2016: Appropriate Technology for the Developing World - Are you interested in international development, humanitarian work, or helping others with renewable energy internationally? \If you answered yes, this course, put on by Solar Energy International is for you! The first section of this course surveys technologies that aim to improve people’s access to basic human needs: water and sanitation, food processing and cooking technologies, biomass, rural electrification, and appropriate building techniques. The second section of the class focuses on project development and implementation. Throughout this course the focus is on the community- their needs, how to guide decision makers to understand the benefits of different technologies, and how to learn from the community. Working with a community will ensure the success of an appropriate technology project. Register here...
- August 5-7, 2016: Spitak Solar Cooking Festival - Guests will be able to stay for free at the Center in Spitak (donation are appreciated). The guests will need to pay for their own food. Spitak is 100 km. North of the capital Yerevan. Bus transport is available. For more information write email@example.com.
- April 17 - May 1, 2016: (Mastatal, Puriscal) Rancho Mastatal is an environmental learning center and lodge located along the edge of the last remaining virgin rainforest of Costa Rica’s Puriscal County. The center will be hosting this two-week workshop to promote forest conservation and living harmoniously in this pristine environment. Alternative cooking technologies: methane bio-digesters, rocket and bio-char stoves, cob, and yes, solar ovens will be one of topics covered in the course. Registration information...
- 27-28 Mai 2016: (Nantes) PROJET DE DÉVELOPPEMENT ET CUISEURS ÉCOLOGIQUES - Deux journées avec Bolivia Inti-Sud Soleil qui permettent aux participants de consolider leur démarche de projet de développement de cuisson écologique, et d’acquérir les connaissances sur les cuiseurs écologiques et sur la fabrication d’un cuiseur à bois économe. Plus d'informations...
- NEW: January 16-22, 2017: (Vadodara, Gujarat,) Solar Cookers International is organizing the next solar cooking conference to take place at the Muni Seva Ashram in Goraj (near Vadodara), Gujarat, India from 16-22 January, 2017. Topics to be addressed include: solar cooking, solar food processing, energy policy, and solar thermal industrial applications. More information...
- June 7-10, 2016: (Florence): The 16th IEEE International Conference on Environment and Electrical Engineering is an international forum for the exchange of ideas and information on energy systems, taking place next summer in Italy. Delegates make presentations and discuss various issues, including clean and renewable energy solutions, for protection of our environment. Originally, authors were invited to submit original papers by January 31, 2016. Due to numerous requests, the manuscript submission deadline has been extended to February 15, 2016. More information...
- NEW: Saturday, April 30, 2016: (Tucson) Citizens for Solar will be holding its Annual Solar Potluck at Catalina State Park from 10am until sunset. If you are a solar cook, please bring your own solar oven(s) and join them for cooking. The Solar Potluck and Exhibition opens to the public at 10:00am, but solar cooks are asked have their ovens set up by 9:30am. The cost of the Solar Potluck is free; $7/car to get into the Park. More information...
- NEW: Saturday, June 11, 2016: (Cordova) Solar cooking allows you to cook your food while saving time, energy and money—plus it's fun! Gain an understanding of how solar cooking works and the pros and cons of a number of different types of cookers. We will discuss how and when to use your solar cooker and provide recipes that lead to successful meals. Try solar-cooked foods and learn about how solar cookers are helping change lives in many parts of the world. Price: $40. More information...
- Solar Cooker at Cantina West will arrange solar cooking classes and demonstrations throughout Utah and southern Nevada for interested groups. Shade and seating will be provided for the class. More information...
- Document: Illustrated instructions for building the tripod stand for the Ben 2 and Ben 3 Firewood Stoves without welding (también en español)
- Training future trainers of solar cooking - Camily Wedende, group leader of Eldoret Student Projects in Elodoret, Kenya and member of Rotary Club of Eldoret, leads a Train-the-Trainers Workshop for the Rotary Club of Gulu, Uganda. The Uganda Rotary Club is preparing to distribute 500 Haines Solar Cookers in Northern Uganda and is learning more about solar cooking from Camily's years of experience building, teaching and cooking with solar.
- New cooker design: Sun Cork
- Article in the media: Rural school promotes solar energy - The Namibian
- Document: Faro Declaration of Intent 2016
- Newsletter: Kathy Dahl-Bredine's March-April 2016 newsletter. (Mexico)
- Article in the media: Back to the future: A solar oven project (food waste recycling) - The Tiger
- Article in the media: Baking a carrot cake on a boat led to buying a company - Star Tribune
- Article in the media: Churchville-Chili solar cooker team wins ASU Tech Challenge - Gates-Chili Post
- Document: Devices for temperature measurement in the HotPot Solar Cooker - Solar Household Energy
- Video: One Earth Designs vil revolusjonere energibranshen (Norway)
- Article in the media: Griller pølser og lader opp mobilen ved hjelp av sola - Adressa.no
- EVENT: : Sunday, April 24, 2016: (Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, USA) In celebration of Earth Week, the Sisters of St. Agnes invite the public to an open house from 1 to 4 pm. to learn about solar energy. There will be displays on renewable energy, sustainable living, and the creation of a solar oven. St. Agnes Convent is located at 320 Fond du Lac County K, Fond du Lac. More information...
- EVENT: : Thursday, April 21, 2016: (Sierra Vista, Arizona, USA) The Sierra Vista Farmers Market’s annual Earth Day Celebration will be held during regular market hours from 10am to 2pm. at Veterans’ Memorial Park. The event will include solar cooking demonstrations. More information...
- Article in the media: McGilligan demonstrates power of solar cooking - The Free Press Journal
- EVENT: : Saturday, April 30, 2016: (Tucson, Arizona, USA) Citizens for Solar will be holding its Annual Solar Potluck at Catalina State Park from 10am until sunset. More information...
- Document: Remarks on Stove Technologies - Dieter Seifert
- Document: Information on the ISO-TC-285 Cookstoves Standards
- Page: Solar Wok
- Article: Poor people don't need your charity – they need you to listen - World Economic Forum
- EVENT: : Saturday, April 16, 2016: (Thousand Oaks, California, USA) Arbor/Earth Day Celebration - Solar cookers will be demonstrated. More information...
- Article in the media: Roorkee IIT uses solar energy for steam cooking - The Tribune
- Design: EuroSolarCooker Star
- Audio interview: Crosby Menzies, director of SunFire Solutions, interview on the SunPod podcast. The discussion includes how Crosby got started with solar cooking and his new project, Solar Caravans. Recorded at CONSOLFOOD 2016. Listen on podcast page...
- Magazine issue: Energy in Emergency Situations - Boiling Point
- EVENT: Saturday, June 11, 2016: (Cordova, California, USA) Solar cooking allows you to cook your food while saving time, energy and money—plus it's fun! Gain an understanding of how solar cooking works and the pros and cons of a number of different types of cookers. We will discuss how and when to use your solar cooker and provide recipes that lead to successful meals. Try solar-cooked foods and learn about how solar cookers are helping change lives in many parts of the world. Price: $40. More information...
- Video: What can you cook in a Solavore Sport solar oven? You will be amazed by the possibilities!
- Article in the media: These Clark entrepreneurs have some big ideas (Sun Top Solar Cookers)- Clark University
- Video: Demonstration of the CooKit solar panel cooker
- Article in the media: Three Solar Ovens that Give You the Power to Cook with the Sun - EcoWatch
- Kenya News: Local woman from Kingston provides school lunches and solar cookers to nearby Kamin Oningo. Read more...
- Video: SCI Solar Cooking Festival 2014
- Interview: Michael Bonke interviews Pedro Serrano about the solar restaurant, Villaseca, in Chile, with also his reflections on CONSOLFOOD 2016. - SunPod (The nineteen minute interview begins in German for the first few minutes and then switches to English.)
- Philippines news: USAID has begun to provide solar rice dryers to rice farmers in the Philippines as part of the recovery from the typhoon in December 2015.
- Language: Added Pashto translation to the entire site
- Manual: How to Use a Parabolic Solar Cooker (Dari and English) - Grace Magney
- Video: Manual de construcción de cocina solar parabólica de Cartón (Spanish and English)
- Article in the media: When summer arrives, go solar - The Navhind Times
- Conference papers: All of the presentations and posters have uploaded to: CONSOLFOOD 2016
- Article in the media: New solar cooker design could have big implications - thedailyobserver.ca
- Full text of book: Solar Cookers in the Third World - GIZ (1990)
- Guinea News: Diallo Abdoulaye Sadio reports that the Association Des Volontaires Guineens Pour l' Environnement has been promoting solar thermal cooking for twenty-two years in Guinea and other other areas of West Africa. He feels by training young people with sustainable employment opportunities is helping to fight against the appeal of terrorist organizations. He is hoping to attract the attention of an NGO willing to help with their efforts.
- Wiki article: Bernhard Müller has written an excellent explanation of how fuel-effcient gasifier stoves work and are constructed. See: Gasifiers
- Senegal News: Senegal receives an integrated cooking facility with help from Sun and Ice. Stephan Zech reports that the company has sponsored a facility in Senegal that is promoting solar cooking, heat retention cooking, and fuel-efficeint stove use. More information...
- Audio: SCI executive director Julie Greene is interviewed on the Sunpod podcast
- Document: A Strategy to Eliminate Water-borne Disease in Lower Nyakach Kenya - Robert Metcalf and Dinah Chienjo
- Document: Nutritive Value of Foods Cooked in Solar Box Cooker - Rajammal P. Devadas
- Video: GoSun Solar Stove Gets Cooking
- Newsletter: SMUD Energy Education News, Spring 2016
- Document: An Investigation of Skirts - Dale Andreatta and Alex Wohlgemuth
- India News: BENGALURU: The Union Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) has invited applications and proposals from educational institutions to convert to green campuses...Solar cooking systems must be utilised for hostels/hospitals etc. All houses, hostels and kitchens must have solar water heaters. Read more...
- Handbook: A Practical Method for Rapid Assessment of the Bacterial Quality of Water - United Nations Human Settlements Programme
- Document: Cooking in a semi-rural area in Sudan, A case study in al-Sororab - Muna Rizig and Ben Croxford
- Audio: Janak McGilligan is interviewed on the Sunpod podcast
For older news and new content log, please see the Solar cooking news archive.
Solar Cookers International Network
- About this wiki
- Create an account
- Add a new article
- Sign up for the SCI Digest
- Become an SCI Associate
Solar cooking basics
- Intro to solar cooking
- Build a solar cooker
- Buy a solar cooker
- Pots, reflectors, etc.
- Cooking guidelines
- Frequently-asked questions
- Construction plans
- Manufacturers and vendors
- Discussion groups
Teaching and promotion
- Promoting solar cooking
- Most significant projects
- Project evaluations
- Funding your project
- Classroom resources
Solar cooking in depth
- Refugee camps
- Institutional solar cooking
- Testing solar cookers
- Tracking the sun
- Health and safety
- Research topics
- Integrated cooking
- Heat-retention cooking
- Water pasteurization
- Fuel-efficient woodstoves
- Water distillation
- Food processing
- Food drying
- Non-cooking uses