|129 Countries · 395 NGOs · 344 Individuals|
163 Manufacturers · 374 Designs · 74 Plans
|Sponsored by Solar Cookers International|
Funded by the Agua Fund, Inc.
- Show your solar cooker to the Global Alliance - The Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves maintains a catalog of approved stoves, including ten solar cookers and one heat-retention cooking device. See the catalog You can apply to have your solar cooker added. Read more...
- New solar cooking organization in India - On January 23, 2015 Solar Cookers India was formed. Dr. Janak Palta McGilligan has graciously offered her services as the Honorary Executive Director of this new organization, which will work in close partnership with Solar Cookers International.
- SCInet member wins national award - Dr. Janak Palta McGilligan won the prestigious national Padmashri award for distinguished achievement in social service on January 26, 2015. The Padma Awards is one of the highest civilian awards given in India. As former Director and Founder of the Barli Development Institute for Rural Women, she pioneered solar parabolic cooking for community use.
- Apply for the BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Awards: Solar Cookers International has a unique opportunity to nominate projects from SCInet members for the 2015 BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Awards. The BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Awards seek to recognize and encourage world-class research and artistic creation, awarding contributions of lasting impact for their originality, theoretical significance, and ability to push back the frontiers of the known world. For consideration for nomination, please email Solar Cookers International with the Subject Line “BBVA Awards” for nomination instructions. Final applications must be received no later than May 1, 2015. All materials must be in English. Read more...
- EVENT: International Solar Energy Society webinar on Solar Food Processing for Income Generation - On March 11, the International Solar Energy Society (ISES) will be hosting a webinar on how solar food processing can be used for income generation. "Expert speakers will show examples of how solar food processing can be a profitable business venture. The panelist speakers will present case studies where individuals and companies use solar cooking techniques to earn their living and have made a successful and professional business." Presenters include:
- The webinar will be held from 3:00pm - 4:30pm GMT (7:00am - 8:30am PST/10:00am - 11:30pm EST). More info and registration...
- Apply for the SEED Award - The SEED Awards recognize "the most promising, innovative and locally-led start-up social and environmental enterprises in countries with developing and emerging economies. The independent SEED International Jury of experts selects enterprises which have the potential to make real improvements in poverty eradication and environmental sustainability while contributing to a greener economy." Apply by March 31, 2015. Read more...
- SCInet welcomes new members this month:
- Pat Browne, a solar cooking promoter in California, USA
- ATP GreenTech Pvt Ltd, a leading supplier of solar cookers and sustainable living promoter in Delhi, India along with their CEO Charanjit Khurana
- The SELCO Foundation, a sustainable lifestyle foundation in India
- Atul Sagade a solar cooking promoter in Maharashtra, India
- Garden of God Naturestead, promoting solar cooking in Lagos, Nigeria
- Sun Frost, makers of the Sun Frost Cooker-Sterilizer
- Friends of Solar Cooking Arizona, USA, organized by Berta Nelson
- Missed the SCInet Solar Cooking Convention 2014? - Watch all of the presentation videos on demand...
- Celebrity chef José Andrés wants to cook cleaner this year - Writing in National Geographic, José Andrés discusses his New Year's Resolutions which include the goal to "cook cleaner"! Read article...
- Available sunshine in the Sahel region of Africa documented - Authors, Beth Newton, Sophie Cowie, Derk Rijks, Jamie Banks, Helen Brindley, and John h. Marsham have published a well-documented analysis of the potential sunshine available for solar cooking in the Sahel region, particularly in northern Chad where a number of Sudanese refugee camps are located. TchadSolaire has been training both refugees and the indigenous population to solar cook in the region since 2005. Even along river population centers where clouds tend to form, solar cooking is possible for over 330 days a year. Read more: Solar Cooking in the Sahel - NOWCAST
- 15,000 students in Mumbai solar cook and set world-record - In an event organized by Keshav Srushti, 15,000 students from 80 schools in Mumbai, India set a new world record for the largest-ever solar cooking gathering. Each student was given a solar cooker and taught how to assemble and use it as part of a national campaign to spread awareness of the importance of solar technology. C Vidyasagar Rao, governor of Maharashtra and Ashish Shelar, minister of state, Power, Coal & New Renewable Energy, attended the record-setting gathering. Read more at: Over 15,000 students create a new world-record in solar cooking
- The solar bakery project in Burundi is up and running! - Each solar oven for the new bakery in Gitega, Burundi, is capable of baking hundreds of loaves of bread each day. The ovens will allow the users to save over 150 tons of firewood each year, which results in the reduction of around 277 tons of greenhouse gas emissions annually. The project creates a new economic opportunity for the local bakers, now in a smoke-free setting. Read more at: R20 and local partner, CIRID, host inauguration ceremony of solar bakery project in Gitega, Burundi
Solar Cookers International Network
Solar cooking basics
- Intro to solar cooking
- Build a solar cooker
- Buy a solar cooker
- Pots, reflectors, etc.
- Cooking guidelines
- Construction plans
- Manufacturers and vendors
- Discussion groups
Teaching and promotion
- Promoting solar cooking
- Most significant projects
- Project evaluations
- Funding your project
- Classroom resources
Solar cooking in depth
- Refugee camps
- Institutional solar cooking
- Testing solar cookers
- Tracking the sun
- Health and safety
- Research topics
- Integrated cooking
- Heat-retention cooking
- Water pasteurization
- Water distillation
- Solar food processing
- Solar canning
- Solar food drying
- Solar autoclave
- Non-cooking uses
- Rocket Stoves
Questions and comments: email@example.com