|135 Countries · 350 NGOs · 279 Individuals|
166 Manufacturers · 401 Designs · 90 Plans
|Sponsored by Solar Cookers International|
Funded by the Agua Fund, Inc.
Solar cooking around the world
Request for Proposals
- NEW: 2 July 2017: (Expression of Interest) The Moving Energy Initiative (MEI), a collaboration between several energy nonprofit organizations and the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), is requesting interest from organizations interested in expanding their fuel distribution and sales in and around the Kakuma and Kalobeyei refugee camps in northeastern Kenya. The initiative aims to create a viable market opportunity for deployment at scale of a non-wood based cooking solution. The effort is funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID). Submissions are to be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org, and need to be in by 2 July 2017 . Questions regarding the program can be made to: Joe.Attwood@energy4impact.org
- NEW: 11 September 2017: (São Paulo) The 1st Ibero-American Meeting of Solar Energy Applied to Food Processing (EnSolAPA) will take place at ABRAVA, Rio Branco Avenue, 1492 - Campos Elíseos. The group stresses the importance for regions with high potential for solar radiation, to be able to take advantage of the latest developments in solar food processing. Speakers have beed scheduled, but there is still presentation time available. If interested, a single page abstract can be submitted to the organizing committee (email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org) by 5 August 2017. Presentations will be in Portuguese or Castilian. There is no charge for attending the presentations, but registering with the organizing committee is required by 15 August 2017. Contact email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.
- NEW: 12-15 September 2017: (São Paulo) The CONGRESS CIAR-CONBRAVA 2017 convenes. Contact email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information. CIAR-CONBRAVA 2017 - (English version)
- NEW: 27 August 2017: (Sorède) A day of solar cooking demonstrations, sponsored by FourSolaire at the foot of the Himalayan Solar Furnace from 10am - noon. The event will include a presentation by Prof. Celestino Ruivo at 11:30am.
- NEW: 6-17 November 2017: (Bonn) The 23rd session of the Conference of the Parties (COP 23) to the UN Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) will be organized by Fiji and hosted at the headquarters of the UNFCCC Secretariat in Bonn, Germany. Events and exhibits will take place in the "Bonn Zone" of the official conference venue, making it a major hub for showcasing climate action, knowledge-sharing, capacity-building and networking. More information...
- 24-28 October 2017: (New Delhi) The Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves’ Clean Cooking Forum 2017 is scheduled to take place at the India Habitat Center, located in central New Delhi. The Forum will convene partners and stakeholders to help accelerate the growth of clean cookstoves. More information...
- NEW: 30 October - 3 November 2017: (Kathmandu) Plenary meetings of working and task groups will be meeting for the ISO TC 285 chapter. Information about travel support opportunities for qualified applicants from the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves can be made by 1 August, 2017 at: GACC travel application
- 22-24 January 2018: (Faro) CONSOLFOOD 2018 is scheduled to take place at the Instituto Superior de Engenharia, Universidade do Algarve, Campus da Penha. This solar cooking conference will include oral sessions, keynote lectures, a round table discussion, and a poster session. The organizers encourage potential participants to submit abstracts in the first submission period before 4th June, 2017. The abstract must mention the main topics of the presentation or poster. The abstracts will be assessed by the members of the scientific committee and the organizing committee will inform each author whether their submitted abstract has been accepted.
- NEW: 29 October - 2 November 2017: (Abu Dhabi) The ISES Solar World Congress 2017 will convene at the Jumeirah Hotel Etihad Towers. The event will be hosted by Masdar Institute of Science and Technology. SWC 2017 and SHC 2017 will provide the most up-to-date information on renewable energy technology trends and breakthroughs, global and regional policies, and market opportunities.gional policies, and market opportunities. More information...
- 28 October 2017: (Tucson) A free solar cooker demonstration and construction workshop will take place at the Wheeler Taft Abbett Sr. Public Library on Saturday from 1pm. - 4pm. Registration opens 14 October. More information...
- NEW: 2 June - 4 July 2017: (San Diego) There will be a solar cooking exhibit in the Farm Area of the San Diego County Fair. The fair will be closed most Mondays and some Tuesdays during the run. More information...
- 10-13 October 2017: (San Francisco) SOCAP (Social Capital Markets) is the world's leading conference on impact investing and social enterprise. SOCAP17 will unite innovators in business, tech, the sharing economy, health, philanthropy, and more to advance environmental and social causes. Up to 150 entrepreneurs will be awarded scholarships to SOCAP17. Interested international applicants can apply at the following link now through 1 June 2017 for early consideration: Application Form. For all other applicants, the deadline is 30 June 2017. Selected scholar entrepreneurs will be notified at the beginning of July.
- 9-12 October 2017: (Denver) - American Solar Energy Society Conference - There will be a Solar Thermal Cooking Track at the ASES SOLAR 2017 conference at Colorado University. Submit topics for a forum, a panel presentation, or to demonstrate a solar cooker design. Commercial and Industrial (C & I), Scalable distribution models, and other papers encouraged. Accepted papers will be peer-reviewed and published in the ASES conference proceedings. Submit papers by 1 April 2017 to ASES proposal submittals
- 21 August 2017: (Chicago) Celebrate the total eclipse of the sun at the Adler Planetarium. All things solar with free outdoor activities and safe viewing of the sun, with music, solar cars, and solar cooking demonstrations. More information...
- NEW: 21 June 2017: (Montville Township) Celebrate the very longest day of 2017 during Solar Day & Solstice Sunset at Observatory Park, 10610 Clay St. Various solar powered devices will be displayed, including solar oven baked treats. The event is free. More information
- (Saint George) Solar Cooker at Cantina West will arrange solar cooking classes and demonstrations throughout Utah and southern Nevada for interested groups. More information...
- 20-22 June 2017: Solar Cookers International will lead other NGOs in a breakout session at the Interaction Forum focused on development programs and disaster relief.
- Project evaluation: Cord refugee camp solar cooker project final evaluation
- EVENT: 11 September 2017: (São Paulo, Brazil) The 1st Ibero-American Meeting of Solar Energy Applied to Food Processing (EnSolAPA)
- EVENT: 12-15 September 2017: (São Paulo, Brazil) The CONGRESS CIAR-CONBRAVA 2017 convenes.
- Page: Calitzdorp Solar Cookers: Fabricators and vendors of the LAZOLA 2 box cooker in Calitzdorp, South Africa.
- Article in the media: Inside Barefoot College where women from across the world become ‘solar engineers’ - The Economic Times
- Video: SCI Associate Bruce Knotts describes the impact solar cookers had in East African refugee camps in the 1990’s
- Video: SOL5 Solar Oven at UNHCR Offices in Kakuma, Kenya
- Video: DYI Fresnel mirror solar concentrator
- Construction manual: 100 Suns
- Brazil news: Elmo Dutra leads a cooker construction workshop in Morro da Cruz
- Design video: Cuiseur Solaire Pliable
- Bolivia news: Quand la cuisson solaire et les grands chefs se rencontrent... - (English version)
- EVENT: 30 October - 3 November, 2017 (Kathmandu, Nepal): Plenary group meetings for ISO TC 285 standards
- SCI Associate: International Solar Energy Society
- SCI Associate: American Solar Energy Society
- Design video: Haines/Copenhagen Solar Cooker
- Kenya news: Moving Energy Initiative request for proposals in creating a viable market opportunity for deployment at scale of non-wood based cooking solutions in Kenyan refugee camps
- Testing news: Earthbound Technology conducts reciprocal optics testing.
- Page: Godfrey Mawira (Kenya)
- Book: Solar Oven Cooking - Merry Bevill
- EVENT: 27 August 2017: (Sorède, France) A solar cooking demonstration, sponsored by FourSolaire, at the foot of the Himalayan Solar Furnace.
- Uganda news: Sustainable solar cooker business in Mbarara, Uganda
- Mali news: Togo Tilé establishing self-supporting solar cooker business
- USA news: Georgia middle school students win science fair with comparative solar cooker experiment.
- EVENT: 6-17 November 2017: (Bonn, Germany) The 23rd session of the Conference of the Parties (COP 23) to the UN Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) will take place in Bonn.
- Windshield solar cooker: Your camping chair can become a solar cooker
- Kenya news: Faustine Odaba demonstrates how a parabolic cooker works well with a fireless basket.
- Presentation: Examples of Open Source Appropriate Technology (OSAT) for Development Cooperation - Dieter Seifert
- Haiti news: Evidence: Solar cooking initiatives in Haiti
- EVENT: 2 June - 4 July 2017: (San Diego, California, USA) There will be a solar cooking exhibit in the Farm Area of the San Diego County Fair.
- EVENT: 29 October - 2 November 2017: (Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates) The ISES Solar World Congress 2017 will convene at the Jumeirah Hotel Etihad Towers.
- Classroom resource: Middle school solar cooker challenge meets STEAM requirements
- Page: SolSource Sport, a compact solar cooker from One Earth Designs.
- SCI Associate: Paul Funk
- Mali news: Solar Cooking KoZon (SCK) stimulates ISC private enterprises
- Appeal: Contribute your data: Drive solar cooking results
- India news: Janak Palta McGilligan is honored as a Green Hero by TERI for her inspiring work in the field of solar cooking and sustainable lifestyles in Indore, India. TERI video on Janak's work...
- Article in the media: Solar Cookers: Who Needs Them? - Valley Center Happenings
- Page: Photography
- Article in the media: Solar Cooking: From the past and into the future - Paul Funk
- Uganda news: Disabled Technicians Uganda Limited and Heliac, Denmark began a technology-sharing partnership at the 6th SCI World Conference 2017 in India. Edward Sembajjwe is constructing Heliac’s Fresnel lens solar cooker in Uganda.
- Report: Solar Cooking—the solution to environmental impact and fuel scarcity in Kakuma Refugee Camp - Godfrey Mawira Kaburu
- Video: TEDx Talk by Dr. Ajay Chandak
- Page: Farmers With A Vision
- EVENT: 9 May 2017: (Valley Center, California, USA) Patricia McArdle, former US diplomat and dedicated solar cooking advocate, will speak at the upcoming meeting of the Dos Valles Garden Club.
- Page: Data collection
- Page: CONSOLFOOD 2018
- Video: SCI Vice President, Monica Woods, discusses the SCI mission.
- EVENT: 10-13 October 2017: (San Francisco, Calfornia, USA) SOCAP17 will unite innovators in business, tech, the sharing economy, health, philanthropy, and more to advance environmental and social causes.
- Thailand news: Vendor grills delicious chicken with solar heat from the Thai sun for over two decades - Coconuts Bangkok
- India news: Steam-based cooking system coming up at KGMU - The Times of India
- Employment opportunity: Solar Cookers International is seeking an Administration Assistant. Deadline to apply: 26 April 2017.
- Employment opportunity: Solar Cookers International is seeking a Public Relations Officer. Position Open until filled.
- Haiti news: Your urgent help needed: Contribute to advocacy for solar cooking in Haiti
- USA news: Solar Cookers International closes its online store
- India news: Haryana government exempts solar devices from Value Added Tax levy - The Economic Times
- Solar cooking promotion: SCI has proposed data collection guidelines for successful solar cooking projects
- Kenyan NGO: Tonembee Association
- India news: Ayurvedic pain reliever made in solar cooker at Jimmy McGilligan Centre - The Free Press Journal
- EVENT: 28 October 2017: (Tucson, Arizona, USA) A free solar cooker demonstration and construction workshop will take place at the Wheeler Taft Abbett Sr. Public Library
- Employment opportunity: Solar Cookers International (SCI) is seeking a Communications Manager
- India news: Indore : Jimmy memorial week begins with solar food festival - The Free Press Journal
- Graphic: Comparison of fuelwood consumption in a Ben 3 Firewood Stove vs. a three-stone fire
- Page: Environmental benefits of solar cooking
- Kenya news: Kenya learns to cook with solar power – even when the sun doesn’t shine - Reuters
- Video request: Help celebrate SCI's 30th anniversary and show the world how you solar cook. Send a short video.
- Employment opportunity: Solar Cookers International is looking for an experienced researcher and writer to investigate data about successful, scaled solar cooking projects that can be replicated.
- Design: Greenhouse Solar Cooker
- Vietnam news: Solar Serve News #51
- EVENT: Thursday, April 27th, 2017: (8-9am PST, 3-4pm GMT): Solar Cookers International will host the "Sector Updates: Share Your News" webinar
For older news and new content log, please see the Solar cooking news archive.
Solar Cookers International Network
- About this wiki
- Create account and add your knowledge
- Add a new article
- Sign up for the SCI Digest
- Become an SCI Associate
Solar cooking basics
- Intro to solar cooking
- Build a solar cooker
- Buy a solar cooker
- Pots, glazing, glue, paint, etc.
- Cooking guidelines
- Frequently-asked questions
- New content
- Construction plans
- Manufacturers and vendors
- Project evaluations
- Discussion groups
Teaching and promotion
Solar cooking in depth
- Refugee camps
- Institutional solar cooking
- Testing solar cookers
- Tracking the sun
- Heat storage
- Health and safety
- Business development
- Research topics
- Integrated cooking
- Heat-retention cooking
- Water pasteurization
- Improved combustion stoves
- Food processing
- Food drying
- Non-cooking uses