|135 Countries · 350 NGOs · 284 Individuals|
167 Manufacturers · 400 Designs · 90 Plans
|Sponsored by Solar Cookers International|
Funded by the Agua Fund, Inc.
Solar cooking around the world
- 22-24 January 2018: (Faro) CONSOLFOOD 2018 is scheduled to take place at the Instituto Superior de Engenharia, Universidade do Algarve, Campus da Penha. This solar cooking conference will include oral sessions, keynote lectures, a round table discussion, and a poster session. The organizers encourage potential participants to submit abstracts in the first submission period before 4th June, 2017. The abstract must mention the main topics of the presentation or poster. The abstracts will be assessed by the members of the scientific committee and the organizing committee will inform each author whether their submitted abstract has been accepted.
- October 2016 - May 2017: (Geneva): Solemyo is offering solar cooker construction workshops from October 2016 until May 2017 on the first Saturday of each month. Three participants is the minimum class size. Organize a group of friends to attend. Vous trouverez plus d'informations ici - (English version)
- NEW: 28 October 2017: (Tucson) A free solar cooker demonstration and construction workshop will take place at the Wheeler Taft Abbett Sr. Public Library on Saturday from 1pm. - 4pm. Registration opens 14 October. More information...
- NEW: 9 May 2017: (Valley Center) Patricia McArdle, former USA diplomat and dedicated solar cooking advocate, will speak at the upcoming meeting of the Dos Valles Garden Club. It takes place at St. Stephens Roman Catholic Church, 31020 Cole Grade Road, and begins at 10am. Patricia will bake cakes and banana bread for her audience. The public is invited to attend the free presentation. More information...
- NEW: 10-13 October 2017: (San Francisco) SOCAP (Social Capital Markets) is the world's leading conference on impact investing and social enterprise. SOCAP17 will unite innovators in business, tech, the sharing economy, health, philanthropy, and more to advance environmental and social causes. Up to 150 entrepreneurs will be awarded scholarships to SOCAP17. Interested international applicants can apply at the following link now through 1 June 2017 for early consideration: Application Form. For all other applicants, the deadline is 30 June 2017. Selected scholar entrepreneurs will be notified at the beginning of July.
- 9-12 October 2017: (Denver) - American Solar Energy Society Conference - There will be a Solar Thermal Cooking Track at the ASES SOLAR 2017 conference at Colorado University. Submit topics for a forum, a panel presentation, or to demonstrate a solar cooker design. Commercial and Industrial (C & I), Scalable distribution models, and other papers encouraged. Accepted papers will be peer-reviewed and published in the ASES conference proceedings. Submit papers by 1 April 2017 to ASES proposal submittals
- 21 August 2017: (Chicago) Celebrate the total eclipse of the sun at the Adler Planetarium. All things solar with free outdoor activities and safe viewing of the sun, with music, solar cars, and solar cooking demonstrations. More information...
- (Saint George) Solar Cooker at Cantina West will arrange solar cooking classes and demonstrations throughout Utah and southern Nevada for interested groups. More information...
- 20-22 June 2017: Solar Cookers International will lead other NGOs in a breakout session at the Interaction Forum focused on development programs and disaster relief.
- Article in the media: Solar Cookers: Who Needs Them? - Valley Center Happenings
- Page: Photography
- Article in the media: Solar Cooking: From the past and into the future - Paul Funk
- Uganda news: Disabled Technicians Uganda Limited and Heliac, Denmark began a technology-sharing partnership at the 6th SCI World Conference 2017 in India. Edward Sembajjwe is constructing Heliac’s Fresnel lens solar cooker in Uganda.
- Report: Solar Cooking—the solution to environmental impact and fuel scarcity in Kakuma Refugee Camp - Godfrey Mawira Kaburu
- Video: TEDx Talk by Dr. Ajay Chandak
- Page: Farmers With A Vision
- EVENT: 9 May 2017: (Valley Center, California, USA) Patricia McArdle, former US diplomat and dedicated solar cooking advocate, will speak at the upcoming meeting of the Dos Valles Garden Club.
- Page: Data collection
- Page: CONSOLFOOD 2018
- Video: SCI Vice President, Monica Woods, discusses the SCI mission
- EVENT: 10-13 October 2017: (San Francisco, Calfornia, USA) SOCAP17 will unite innovators in business, tech, the sharing economy, health, philanthropy, and more to advance environmental and social causes
- Thailand news: Vendor grills delicious chicken with solar heat from the Thai sun for over two decades - Coconuts Bangkok
- India news: Steam-based cooking system coming up at KGMU - The Times of India
- Employment opportunity: Solar Cookers International is seeking an Administration Assistant. Deadline to apply: 26 April 2017.
- Employment opportunity: Solar Cookers International is seeking a Public Relations Officer. Position Open until filled.
- Haiti news: Your urgent help needed: Contribute to advocacy for solar cooking in Haiti
- USA news: Solar Cookers International closes its online store
- India news: Haryana government exempts solar devices from Value Added Tax levy - The Economic Times
- Solar cooking promotion: SCI has proposed data collection guidelines for successful solar cooking projects
- Kenyan NGO: Tonembee Association
- India news: Ayurvedic pain reliever made in solar cooker at Jimmy McGilligan Centre - The Free Press Journal
- EVENT: 28 October 2017: (Tucson, Arizona, USA) A free solar cooker demonstration and construction workshop will take place at the Wheeler Taft Abbett Sr. Public Library
- Employment opportunity: Solar Cookers International (SCI) is seeking a Communications Manager
- India news: Indore : Jimmy memorial week begins with solar food festival - The Free Press Journal
- Graphic: Comparison of fuelwood consumption in a Ben 3 Firewood Stove vs. a three-stone fire
- Page: Environmental benefits of solar cooking
- Kenya news: Kenya learns to cook with solar power – even when the sun doesn’t shine - Reuters
- Video request: Help celebrate SCI's 30th anniversary and show the world how you solar cook. Send a short video.
- Employment opportunity: Solar Cookers International is looking for an experienced researcher and writer to investigate data about successful, scaled solar cooking projects that can be replicated.
- Design: Greenhouse Solar Cooker
- Vietnam news: Solar Serve News #51
- EVENT: Thursday, April 27th, 2017: (8-9am PST, 3-4pm GMT): Solar Cookers International will host the "Sector Updates: Share Your News" webinar
- Video: Gap Sap with Padma Shri Janak Palta McGilligan Social Worker S02E02 Hindi
- Page: Water&Solar100, a parabolic solar cooker with electronic tracking capabilities
- Classroom resource: Rubric for Characteristics of Effective Solar Cooking Lessons - Mary Buchenic
- Video: Gap Sap With Deepak Gadhia Social and Solar Entrepreneur
- EVENT: 22-24 January 2018: (Faro, Portugal) CONSOLFOOD 2018 is scheduled to take place at the Instituto Superior de Engenharia, Universidade do Algarve, Campus da Penha.
- Video: Homemade Solar Water Filter - MAD Science Hacks
- USA news: The American Solar Energy Society (ASES) has become an Organization Associate of the Solar Cookers International Association
- Philippines news: MKP 2016: Supporting Sustainable Ecotourism Development Initiative - Global Indonesian Voices
- New vendor: Solar Solutions Central sells the Water Pasteurization Indicator
- Mexico event: Workshop de Cocinas Solares
- Document: Curriculum for a 10th grade physics education course based on project-oriented teaching via solar cookers - Hezi Yizhaq, Daniel Feuermann
- Ethiopia news: Ethiopia: Improving Citizens' Life Style - The Ethiopian Herald
- Lebanon news: Refugee crisis strains Lebanon’s deficient electricity network
- Video: Children's reaction after solar cooking for the first time at record-setting India festival - Vivek Kabra
- Report: Gender-Based Violence in Humanitarian Settings: Cookstoves and Fuels - Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves
- Refugee camp news: Several important commitments grew from the 6th SCI World Conference 2017 regarding camps for refugees
- India news: Solar Cooking Challenge at the Uttarakhand Renewable Development Agency
- India news: Budget 2017: Experts urge for greater subsidy on purchase of solar products - Daily News & Analysis
- Bolivia news: International Women's Day: Gender Justice is on the march in the Amazon - Ecologist
- India news: This IIT-Bombay graduate has helped 119,500 children cook using solar energy, and he isn’t done yet - Your Story
- EVENT: 22-23 April 2017 (New Haven, Connecticut, USA) The GHIC 2017: Global Health & Innovation Conference will take place at Yale University
- Page: Infinity Bakery, a low cost, small commercial scale solar cooker
- Ethiopia news: Training on the production of solar cookers and PV panels closes - Addis Ababa University
- Page: Heliac Solar Cooker, a prototype fresnel lens design
For older news and new content log, please see the Solar cooking news archive.
Solar Cookers International Network
- About this wiki
- Create account and add your knowledge
- Add a new article
- Sign up for the SCI Digest
- Become an SCI Associate
Solar cooking basics
- Intro to solar cooking
- Build a solar cooker
- Buy a solar cooker
- Pots, glazing, glue, paint, etc.
- Cooking guidelines
- Frequently-asked questions
- New content
- Construction plans
- Manufacturers and vendors
- Project evaluations
- Discussion groups
Teaching and promotion
Solar cooking in depth
- Refugee camps
- Institutional solar cooking
- Testing solar cookers
- Tracking the sun
- Health and safety
- Business development
- Research topics
- Integrated cooking
- Heat-retention cooking
- Heat storage
- Water pasteurization
- Improved combustion stoves
- Food processing
- Food drying
- Non-cooking uses