|135 Countries · 350 NGOs · 282 Individuals|
167 Manufacturers · 396 Designs · 87 Plans
|Sponsored by Solar Cookers International|
Funded by the Agua Fund, Inc.
Solar cooking around the world
- NEW: Fall 2016: Dr. Ajay Chandak posted on the Solar Cookers World Network Facebook page that he is organizing workshops on Whatsapp. The first two are on solar cooking and innovative financing for solar power projects. These workshops will help new entrepreneurs, people already in solar business, people who want to use solar cooking or invest in solar rooftop or power projects. Interested people should contact on his personal Whatsapp number, +91-9823033344. Introduce yourself and share your contact so that he can directly save it. These workshops are free.
- NEW: 31 October - 8 November 2016: Mother Earth News Homesteading Summit - Marjory Wildcraft, of The Grow Network, has teamed up with Mother Earth News to offer online access to the upcoming Mother Earth News Homesteading Summit. Viewing is free but registration is necessary. More information...
- 3 October - 13 November 2016: Appropriate Technology for the Developing World - Are you interested in international development, humanitarian work, or helping others with renewable energy internationally? If you answered yes, this course, put on by Solar Energy International is for you! The first section of this course surveys technologies that aim to improve people’s access to basic human needs: water and sanitation, food processing and cooking technologies, biomass, rural electrification, and appropriate building techniques. The second section of the class focuses on project development and implementation. Throughout this course the focus is on the community- their needs, how to guide decision makers to understand the benefits of different technologies, and how to learn from the community. Working with a community will ensure the success of an appropriate technology project. Register here...
- 10-12 November 2016: (Qingdao) The Solar Energy Forum-2016 is the first to take place in China. Organizers hope to have over 100 oral presentations in the field of solar energy. Those interested in presenting about solar cooking will be included in Session 4- Smart Solar Applications and Services, and should not delay in contacting organizers. The forum is intended to provide a platform for professionals around the world to exchange state-of-the-art research and development and identify research needs and opportunities in this emerging field. More information...
- 16-22 January 2017: 6th SCI World Conference 2017 - Solar Cookers International is organizing the next solar cooking conference to take place at the Muni Seva Ashram in Goraj (near Vadodara), Gujarat. Topics to be addressed include: solar cooking, solar food processing, energy policy, marketing & scaling up, coalition building & entrepreneurship, and solar thermal industrial applications. Applications for abstracts are still being accepted on these topics and others. See a complete list of topics and submittal information. The conference is also seeking corporate sponsorship.
- 23-25 March 2017: (Lahore) Solar Pakistan 2017 will be taking place at the Lahore Expo Centre. "The main focus of this exhibition is to highlight the importance of the most practical and readily available non-conventional renewable resource i.e. Solar Energy." It appears the primary focus will concern photovoltaics but organizers are soliciting exhibiters in the solar drying sector. More information...
- NEW: Friday, 11 November 2016: (Faro) Prof. Celestino Ruivo has organized a solar cooking meeting for Friday. More details are available by contacting Celestino at firstname.lastname@example.org. The "solar magusto" will be presented at the meeting.
- NEW: October 2016 - May 2017: (Geneva): Solemyo is offering solar cooker construction workshops from October 2016 until May 2017 on the first Saturday of each month. Three participants is the minimum class size. Organize a group of friends to attend. Vous trouverez plus d'informations ici - (English version)
- Solar Cooker at Cantina West will arrange solar cooking classes and demonstrations throughout Utah and southern Nevada for interested groups. More information...
- Media article (Spain): La cocina solar y sus beneficios - Huelva Información
- EVENT: Fall 2016: (Online) Dr. Ajay Chandak is organizing free workshops on Whatsapp. The first two are on solar cooking and innovative financing for solar power projects. Information to register...
- Patent: Non-imaging system for radiant energy flux transformation (Patent #US20020139414A1)
- Solar Cookers International news: Julie Greene, SCI Executive Director, was nominated for the Outstanding Women Leaders Award for Vision by the National Association of Women Business Owners, Sacramento Valley. More info...
- Solar Cookers International news: Solar Cookers International proudly joined Peace Boat Int'l to demonstrate solar cooking in New York, NY on 20 October 2016.
- Switzerland news: Solemyo is offering solar cooker workshops at their location in Geneva through the fall and winter
- Manufacturer page: ISOMET has a long history of promoting solar cooking and drying in Burkina Faso.
- Media article (Solari): Solari, la pentola per cucinare a energia solare. L'idea di Bodin Hon, designer giramondo con la passione per l'Italia - (English version) - L'Huffington Post
- Media article (The Gambia): Mental health facility receives donation of solar appliances to help with patient recovery'
- Report: How Solar Connect sustains the solar cooking business - Kawesa Mukasa, Director
- Report: Développement et expérimentation d’un nouveau cuiseur solaire stationnaire - A. Harmim * , M. Merzouk 1, M. Boukar et M. Amar
- EVENT: 15-16 October 2016: (La Paz, Bolivia) Inti Illimani is offering a two-day workshop covering the construction and use of solar cookers in the Sopocachi neighborhood of La Paz. More information at: asociación.email@example.com
- Sudan news: All-metal solar box cooker in production from the Solar Energy Enterprises Company
- EVENT: 10 October 2016 - 22:00 GMT (16:00 Central Time - Chiapas): Nociones basicas de la concentración solar.
- El Salvador news: In 2017, Cocina Solar Booix is planning to collaborate with Grupo El Salvador de Ingeniería Sin Fronteras and distribute 100 of their box cookers to families in El Salvador.
- Parvati Solar Cooker news: Parvarti Solar Cooker available through eBay
- Algeria news: The Renewable Energy Development Center of Algeria has developed the Asymetric CPC box solar cooker.
- Media article, India: HIMURJA provides over 37,000 solar cookers - daijiworld
- Senegal news: Pilot project initiated in Diouloulou, South Senegal with assistance from Solar Cooking KoZon
- Document: Ben Stove workspace - Dieter Seifert
- Media article, India: Solar cookers to be distributed in 16 villages - The Times of India
- Mali news: Solar Cooking KoZon reports sales of box cookers are brisk at the Togo Tilé retail store in Mali.
- Report: Solar Cooking KoZon Annual Report for 2015
- EVENT: 31 October - 8 November 2016: (Online) The Mother Earth News Homesteading Summit will be available online
- India news: Solar cookers to be distributed in sixteen villages of the Agra region
- Media article, Netherlands: This Man Cooks His Lunch on a Satellite Dish - Munchies
- Zambia news: UK lecturer donates sixteen parabolic solar cookers to various communities in Zambia
- Bulgaria news: Local celebration in Kocherinovo incudes solar cooking display by HoSa Solar
- Media article, Nigeria: American University of Nigeria students build solar ovens - Vanguard
- Video: Barbara Kerr and Sherry Cole at their Sustainable Living Center in Taylor Arizona in 1997
- Netherlands news: In July 2016 Solar Cooking KoZon was given the opportunity to present themselves at a meeting in the Ministry of Economic Affairs (EZ) in The Hague, Netherlands. Read more...
- Uganda news: Outreach demonstrations in Uganda by Solar Cooking The Netherlands - KoZon in partnership with the Solar Connect Association.
- Mali news: Mali women receive access to solar cooking provided by Solar Cooking The Netherlands - KoZon
- EVENT: Friday, 11 November 2016: (Faro, Portugal) Prof. Celestino Ruivo has organized a solar cooking meeting. More details are available by contacting Celestino at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Research paper: Contribution à l’amélioration des performances d’un cuiseur solaire boîte - Arezki Harmim, M. Belhamel, M. Boukar et M. Amar
- Research paper: Réalisation et expérimentation d’un cuiseur solaire boîte à surface réceptrice inclinée muni d’un réflecteur plan - F. Yettou, B. Azoui, A. Malek, A. Gama, M.A. Rouissa et O. Benzeggouta
- Research paper: Study and simulation of concentrating irradiance in box solar cooker with tracking reflectors - F. Yettou, B. Azoui, A. Malek, and A. Gama
- Lesotho news: The Bethel Business and Community Development Centre has won the 2016 Energy Global Award for Lesotho.
- Video: Segment on German TV shows a small group of poor Africans chopping down a large tree to make a bit of money with charcoal production - ARD
- Lesson plans: Solar cooking lesson plans for grades 1-6 - Alison Davis
- USA news: The PPG Foundation has provided financial support for a solar oven engineering/science project for second-grade students in Texico, Illinois, USA.
- United Kingdom news: SLiCK – Solar Cooking at the UK Green Gathering 2016
- Document: Holzkohle in Afrika und ARTIS-Institutes - Dieter Seifert
- Project evaluation: Solar Cooking Compendium: Challenges and Achievements of the Solar Cooker Field Test in South Africa (2004) - GIZ
- Video: Watch the Sun Ovens International webinar replay: How sunlight saves you money while being prepared
- Italy news: Sentinelle dell'Energia held a public presentation about the opportunities to promote and diffuse the utilisation of solar ovens in refugee camps and in India.
- EVENT: Tuesday, 13 September 2016: From 11:00am - 12:20pm EDT (8:00am - 9:30am PDT) the Winrock International and the U.S. EPA will present the webinar: Using Stove Emissions Data to Estimate Air Quality More information...
- Kenya news: Renewed solar cooking workshops at Kenyan refugee camps as participants prepare for camp closings.
- EVENT: Friday, 16 September 2016: (Dodgeville, Wisconsin, USA) Joel Goodman will be presenting his Renewable Energy Microgrid Project Ideas at the Dodgeville library at 2 pm. Preview images...
- Media article, Malawi: Poverty, Drought and Felled Trees Imperil Malawi Water Supply - New York Times
For older news and new content log, please see the Solar cooking news archive.
Solar Cookers International Network
- About this wiki
- Create account and add your knowledge
- Add a new article
- Sign up for the SCI Digest
- Become an SCI Associate
Solar cooking basics
- Intro to solar cooking
- Build a solar cooker
- Buy a solar cooker
- Pots, reflectors, etc.
- Cooking guidelines
- Frequently-asked questions
- Construction plans
- Manufacturers and vendors
- Discussion groups
Teaching and promotion
- Promoting solar cooking
- Most significant projects
- Project evaluations
- Funding your project
- Classroom resources
Solar cooking in depth
- Refugee camps
- Institutional solar cooking
- Testing solar cookers
- Tracking the sun
- Health and safety
- Research topics
- Integrated cooking
- Heat-retention cooking
- Water pasteurization
- Fuel-efficient woodstoves
- Water distillation
- Food processing
- Food drying
- Non-cooking uses