|133 Countries · 395 NGOs · 315 Individuals|
171 Manufacturers · 389 Designs · 88 Plans
|Sponsored by Solar Cookers International|
Funded by the Agua Fund, Inc.
Solar cooking around the world
- 3 October - 13 November 2016: Appropriate Technology for the Developing World - Are you interested in international development, humanitarian work, or helping others with renewable energy internationally? If you answered yes, this course, put on by Solar Energy International is for you! The first section of this course surveys technologies that aim to improve people’s access to basic human needs: water and sanitation, food processing and cooking technologies, biomass, rural electrification, and appropriate building techniques. The second section of the class focuses on project development and implementation. Throughout this course the focus is on the community- their needs, how to guide decision makers to understand the benefits of different technologies, and how to learn from the community. Working with a community will ensure the success of an appropriate technology project. Register here...
- 10-12 November 2016: (Qingdao) The Solar Energy Forum-2016 is the first to take place in China. Organizers hope to have over 100 oral presentations in the field of solar energy. Those interested in presenting about solar cooking will be included in Session 4- Smart Solar Applications and Services, and should not delay in contacting organizers. The forum is intended to provide a platform for professionals around the world to exchange state-of-the-art research and development and identify research needs and opportunities in this emerging field. More information...
- 16-22 January 2017: (Vadodara, Gujarat) Solar Cookers International is organizing the next solar cooking conference to take place at the Muni Seva Ashram in Goraj (near Vadodara), Gujarat. Topics to be addressed include: solar cooking, solar food processing, energy policy, marketing & scaling up, coalition building & entrepreneurship, and solar thermal industrial applications. Applications for abstracts are still being accepted on these topics and others. See a complete list of topics and submittal information. The conference is also seeking corporate sponsorship.
- NEW: 30 September - 2 October 2016: (Palermo) SUN MED FESTIVAL - La tua energia chiedila al Sole. More information...
- 5-7 October 2016: (Capri) AEIT 2016 International Annual Conference: Sustainable Development in the Mediterranean Area, Energy and ICT Networks of the Future. The energy conference, with a broad range of topics, will focus on issues relevant to the Mediterranean region. More information...
- 14-16 October 2016: (Ouarzazate) Morocco Solar Festival
- 23-25 March 2017: (Lahore) Solar Pakistan 2017 will be taking place at the Lahore Expo Centre. "The main focus of this exhibition is to highlight the importance of the most practical and readily available non-conventional renewable resource i.e. Solar Energy." It appears the primary focus will concern photovoltaics but organizers are soliciting exhibiters in the solar drying sector. More information...
- NEW: Friday, 11 November 2016: (Faro) Prof. Celestino Ruivo has organized a solar cooking meeting for Friday. More details are available by contacting Celestino at email@example.com. The "solar magusto" will be presented at the meeting.
- 11-14 October 2016 (Palma, Mallorca): 11th ISES EuroSun Conference - The International Conference on Solar Energy for Buildings and Industry is being organized by the International Solar Energy Society (ISES) , Asociación Espanola de Energia Solar (AEDES), and the University of the Balearic Islands. The conference "will be a unique platform to discuss the latest developments with leading solar energy specialists as well as policy makers and industry representatives. The congress will host topic sessions, keynote speakers, plenary sessions and open discussion forums, as well as social events where you will have the opportunity to network, to meet old friends and to make new contacts."
- Conference topics include:
- Solar Architecture and Net Zero Energy Buildings
- Solar Heat for Industrial Processes.
- Thermal Storage
- Solar Thermal Systems: Domestic Hot Water, Space Heating and Cooling
- Solar Assisted District Heating and Cooling and Large Scale Applications
- Testing & Certification
- Solar Thermal Collectors and Solar Loop Components
- PV and PVT systems for buildings and industry
- Solar Resource and Energy Meteorology
- Solar Education
- Renewable Energy Strategies and Policies
- Wolfgang Scheffler will make a keynote presentation on using solar thermal energy for steam generation. Registration is open until July 10, 2016. More information...
- NEW: September 2016: (Dodgeville) Joel Goodman presented his Renewable Energy Microgrid Project Ideas at the Dodgeville library at 2 pm, on Friday the 16th. The BIETR (Building Integrated Evacuated Tubes and Reflectors) and solar cooker project models exhibit will continue at the Dodgeville Public Library for the month of September. Preview images...
- Solar Cooker at Cantina West will arrange solar cooking classes and demonstrations throughout Utah and southern Nevada for interested groups. More information...
- Zambia news: UK lecturer donates sixteen parabolic solar cookers to various communities in Zambia
- Bulgaria news: Local celebration in Kocherinovo incudes solar cooking display by HoSa Solar
- Nigeria news: American University of Nigeria students build solar ovens - Vanguard
- Video: Barbara Kerr and Sherry Cole at their Sustainable Living Center in Taylor Arizona in 1997
- Netherlands news: In July 2016 Solar Cooking KoZon was given the opportunity to present themselves at a meeting in the Ministry of Economic Affairs (EZ) in The Hague, Netherlands. Read more...
- Uganda news: Outreach demonstrations in Uganda by Solar Cooking The Netherlands - KoZon in partnership with the Solar Connect Association.
- Mali news: Mali women receive access to solar cooking provided by Solar Cooking The Netherlands - KoZon
- EVENT: Friday, 11 November 2016: (Faro, Portugal) Prof. Celestino Ruivo has organized a solar cooking meeting. More details are available by contacting Celestino at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Research paper: Contribution à l’amélioration des performances d’un cuiseur solaire boîte - Arezki Harmim, M. Belhamel, M. Boukar et M. Amar
- Research paper: Réalisation et expérimentation d’un cuiseur solaire boîte à surface réceptrice inclinée muni d’un réflecteur plan - F. Yettou, B. Azoui, A. Malek, A. Gama, M.A. Rouissa et O. Benzeggouta
- Research paper: Study and simulation of concentrating irradiance in box solar cooker with tracking reflectors - F. Yettou, B. Azoui, A. Malek, and A. Gama
- Lesotho news: The Bethel Business and Community Development Centre has won the 2016 Energy Global Award for Lesotho.
- Video: Segment on German TV shows a small group of poor Africans chopping down a large tree to make a bit of money with charcoal production - ARD
- Lesson plans: Solar cooking lesson plans for grades 1-6 - Alison Davis
- USA news: The PPG Foundation has provided financial support for a solar oven engineering/science project for second-grade students in Texico, Illinois, USA.
- United Kingdom news: SLiCK – Solar Cooking at the UK Green Gathering 2016
- Document: Holzkohle in Afrika und ARTIS-Institutes - Dieter Seifert
- Project evaluation: Solar Cooking Compendium: Challenges and Achievements of the Solar Cooker Field Test in South Africa (2004) - GIZ
- Video: Watch the Sun Ovens International webinar replay: How sunlight saves you money while being prepared
- Italy news: Sentinelle dell'Energia held a public presentation about the opportunities to promote and diffuse the utilisation of solar ovens in refugee camps and in India.
- EVENT: Tuesday, 13 September 2016: From 11:00am - 12:20pm EDT (8:00am - 9:30am PDT) the Winrock International and the U.S. EPA will present the webinar: Using Stove Emissions Data to Estimate Air Quality More information...
- Kenya news: Renewed solar cooking workshops at Kenyan refugee camps as participants prepare for camp closings.
- EVENT: Friday, 16 September 2016: (Dodgeville, Wisconsin, USA) Joel Goodman will be presenting his Renewable Energy Microgrid Project Ideas at the Dodgeville library at 2 pm. Preview images...
- Article in the media: Poverty, Drought and Felled Trees Imperil Malawi Water Supply - New York Times
- Audio interview: Deepak Gadhia tells the story his solar cooking research and promotion (Starts in German, but after one minute switches to English)
- Report: Health and Climate-Relevant Pollutant Concentrations from a Carbon-Finance Approved Cookstove Intervention in Rural India - Ther W. Aung, et al
- Haiti news: Solar Oven Partners seeks new director
- Dominican Republic news: Solar Oven Use in the Dominican Republic Pulitzer Center
- World Health Organization news: Report from February 2016; Household air pollution and health
- Water safety device: Potavida is company that has developed a SODIS device with a built-in UV indicator to tell when water is safe to drink.
- Zambia news: Sol Suffit representatives, Clement Musonda and his wife, provided a solar cooking demonstration in a village in Zambia.
- Cooker review: Cook With The Sun: Solavore Solar Oven Review - gearjunkie.com
- Bolivia, USA news: Bolivians' kitchens become a passion for San Clemente teen - The Orange County Register
- Kazakhstan news: New green technology center opens in Karaganda, Kazakhstan.
- Solar cooking volunteer needed (Washington D.C., USA) - Solar Household Energy is seeking a volunteer to represent SHE and demonstrate solar cooking at farmer's markets and other community events in the Washington D.C. area. The time commitment will be Saturdays from 8:30am - 1:30pm. More information...
- EVENT: Sunday, 14 August 2016: (Sacramento, California, USA) - The Sacramento Vegetarian Society with hold their monthly gathering at California Guild Hall, 3830 U Street, at 5:30pm. Ilsa Hess, SVS board member and volunteer from Solar Cookers International, will demonstrate the different ways to cook with the sun. More information...
- Testing news: Dr. Alan Bigelow will be presenting a plan to develop a solar cooker testing certification program at the 6th SCI World Conference 2017 in Gujarat, India this coming January.
- Greece news: A new group, Project Daedalus - Local Technical Group, has formed in Athens to help local refugees. Assembling and using solar panel cookers is part of their approach. More information...
- Design drawings: MUMA Solar Cooker
- Recipe book: 2016 Mojave Desert AQMD & MEEC Solar Cook-Off Recipes
- Wiki article: Low-tech reflective material
- Report: Solar Cooking in the UK - Stewart Maclachlan
- Report: Evaluation of Energy-Saving Options for Refugees (1998) - UNHCR-Geneva
- Report: The Experience of UNHCR and its Partners with Solar Cookers in Refugee Camps (1996) - UNHCR-Geneva
- Report: Solar Cookers International Mid-Year Report for 2016
- CooKit variation: European Solar Panel Cooker
- Solar cooker: Conet Solar Oven
- Canada news: Where the Road Begins: Solar cookers reduce carbon footprint - Powell River PEAK
- Report: Gujarat Solar Power Policy - 2015 - Government of Gujarat
For older news and new content log, please see the Solar cooking news archive.
Solar Cookers International Network
- About this wiki
- Create account to remove most ads
- Add a new article
- Sign up for the SCI Digest
- Become an SCI Associate
Solar cooking basics
- Intro to solar cooking
- Build a solar cooker
- Buy a solar cooker
- Pots, reflectors, etc.
- Cooking guidelines
- Frequently-asked questions
- Construction plans
- Manufacturers and vendors
- Discussion groups
Teaching and promotion
- Promoting solar cooking
- Most significant projects
- Project evaluations
- Funding your project
- Classroom resources
Solar cooking in depth
- Refugee camps
- Institutional solar cooking
- Testing solar cookers
- Tracking the sun
- Health and safety
- Research topics
- Integrated cooking
- Heat-retention cooking
- Water pasteurization
- Fuel-efficient woodstoves
- Water distillation
- Food processing
- Food drying
- Non-cooking uses