|135 Countries · 350 NGOs · 274 Individuals|
162 Manufacturers · 399 Designs · 91 Plans
|Sponsored by Solar Cookers International|
Funded by the Agua Fund, Inc.
Solar cooking around the world
Webinars and online events
- 10 January 2018, Wednesday: (8-9am PDT, 15:00-16:00 GMT): Sector updates webinar - Solar Cookers International will sponsor the webinar, Solar Cooking Sector Updates, which is open and available to the public. It will give SCI and its partners an opportunity to promote sector knowledge sharing, coordination, and collaboration. Registration details will be shared at later date.
- 10 January 2018, Wednesday: (9-10am PDT, 16:00-17:00 GMT): Refugee Working Group (Conference Call) A one hour call is scheduled to follow the sector updates webinar. Registration details will be shared at later date.
- NEW: 16-18 April 2018: (Tiemcen) The Research-2-Practice Forum 2018: Energy, Water Security and Climate Change in Africa will be meeting at the Pan African University Institute for Water and Energy Sciences (PAUWES) in Tiemcen. Additional support from the German Government and in cooperation with a consortium of German universities (UNU-EHS, ZEF and ITT) led by UNU-EHS and the University Abou Bekr Belkaid in Tlemcen are jointly organizing the forum. The focus of the forum will be to promote and support applied and practice-oriented research and strategic partnerships in renewable energy, water and climate security in Africa. Information & submission guidelines, (due by 8 January 2018)
- 3-6 December 2017: (Kathmandu) Call for Posters The International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD), jointly with the Government of Nepal’s Ministry of Population and Environment and with support from the European Union, is hosting an International Conference titled “Resilient Hindu Kush Himalaya: Developing Solutions towards a Sustainable Future for Asia”. This event will feature a special poster session dedicated to showcasing the innovative knowledge, solutions, and policies that young change-makers are contributing to for resilience-building in the Hindu Kush Himalaya (HKH). The aim of this special session is to give youth working in the HKH an opportunity to present their innovations in relation to the conference theme. The deadline is 8 September 2017 to submit posters. More information...
- 22-24 January 2018: (Faro) CONSOLFOOD 2018 is scheduled to take place at the Instituto Superior de Engenharia, Universidade do Algarve, Campus da Penha. This solar cooking conference will include oral sessions, keynote lectures, a round table discussion, and a poster session. The deadline for submission of abstracts for presentation consideration was 30 September 2017.
- (Saint George) Solar Cooker at Cantina West will arrange solar cooking classes and demonstrations throughout Utah and southern Nevada for interested groups. More information...
- EVENT: : 16-18 April 2018: (Tiemcen, Algeria):- The Research-2-Practice Forum 2018: Energy, Water Security and Climate Change in Africa will be meeting at the Pan African University Institute for Water and Energy Sciences.
- Afghanistan news: Trust in Education leads the way in distributing inexpensive solar cookers
- Nicaragua news: Solar energy ‘like light from heaven’ for rural Nicaragua - The Irish Times
- WAPI news: Akihiko Kumagai and Marshall Ndlovu from California State University, Sacramento, California, USA, offer a series of short videos explaining WAPI production
- Improved combustion stove news: Can these 'stoves' finally crack the clean cooking problem? - Devex
- Kenya news: Bernhard Müller of Lernen - Helfen - Leben e.V. held a 2-day solar cooking workshop at the Korando Education Centre in Kisumu County, Kenya.
- Madagascar news: Regula Ochsner, of Association pour le Développement de l'Energie Solaire, reports on their recent solar cooking activity in Madagascar
- Nepal news: FoST demonstration of sustainable technologies at the Kathmandu International Study Center, Dhobighat, Kathmandu, Nepal
- Individual news: Louise Meyer to be the recipient of the Leaders in Energy award
- Food processing news: An updated program for CONSOLFOOD 2018, which takes place in Faro, Portugal in January, is now available.
- Manufacturer news: The popular All Season Solar Cooker has been updated for 2017
- Heat storage publication: Experimental characterization of a solar cooker with thermal energy storage based on solar salt - G. Coccia, G Di Nicola, S Tomassetti, G. Gabrielli, M. Chieruzzi, M. Pierantozzi - Journal of Physics
- Somalia news: The Somalia government has announced that it will include solar cooking in their Nationally Determined Contributions, the national statement that defines a country's approach to achieving the goals outlined in the Paris Agreement (reported at COP23).
- Photovoltaic cooker design: Compact photovoltaic 12v induction cooker prototype - Puttaraj & Ashok Kundapur
- Chad news: Jesuit inventor frees women from the bondage of firewood and smoke
- EVENT: : 29 November, 2017, Wednesday (Online webinar): Winrock & U.S. EPA Cook Stoves & Indoor Air presents a webinar to hear Jim Jetter and his U.S. EPA colleagues discuss results from recent EPA cookstove research, including the latest round of cookstove/fuel test reports.
- EVENT: : 30 November-1 December, 2017 (Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, USA): The Student Energy Summit will take place at the Carnegie Science Center, with this year's theme of Innovations in Energy.
- Nicaragua news: Solar energy ‘like light from heaven’ for rural Nicaragua - Irish Times
- United Kingdom news: Great British Solar Bake Off 2017, held in Chepstow, United Kingdom
- Haiti video: How a Haitian village cooks with sunlight
- Puerto Rico news: The World Central Kitchen responds to the food crisis
- Solar advocate: Dedicated solar cooking proponent, Roger Haines, visits India, Kenya, and Uganda in 2017
- Business development: The Avon Ladies Of Renewable Energy – Solar Sister Bringing Light & Jobs To African Women - GirlTalkHQ
- Canada news: Oven cooks using the power of the sun, offered by marine supplier in New Foundland - The News
- Bangladesh news: Green initiative goes slow, lacks support - The Daily Star
- Kenya news: Kakuma Refugee Camp setting the pace in use of renewable energy
- Morocco news: Greenpeace Launches Solar Energy Education Project in Morocco - Morocco World News; Dans différentes régions du Maroc, Greenpeace transmet les rudiments de la cuisine à l'énergie solaire - (English version) - Huffpost Maroc
- South Africa report: The Role of Women in Sustainable Energy Development - Elizabeth Cecelski
- Manufacturer news: GoSun announces the GoSun Go, a smaller version of the company's original solar cooker
- Kenya news: Kenya brings in world's toughest plastic bag ban: four years jail or $40,000 fine - The Guardian
- Wiki article: Sun Scoop Lite
- Article in the media: How stoves can help solve a global pollution crisis - CBS News MoneyWatch
- Document: Rethinking the Box Oven - Dar Curtis
- USA news: Hubbard ‘Solar Sisters’ share love of cooking with sun - WKBN 27
- Wiki article: Greenpeace
- Earthquake response: Julie Greene from SCI, and Ole Kaven, geophysicist, discuss earthquakes and solar cooking options when power is out. Julie's discussion begins at 14:30 in this recording from 2015. - 3BL Media
For older news and new content log, please see the Solar cooking news archive.
The Solar Cooking Wiki
- About this wiki
- Add or edit an article
- Sign up for the SCI Digest
- Become an SCI Associate
- About Solar Cookers International
Solar cooking basics
- Intro to solar cooking
- Build a solar cooker
- Buy a solar cooker
- Pots, glazing, glue, paint, etc.
- Cooking guidelines
- Frequently-asked questions
- New content
- Construction plans
- Manufacturers and vendors
- Project evaluations
- Discussion groups
Teaching and promotion
Solar cooking in depth
- Refugee camps
- Institutional solar cooking
- Testing solar cookers
- Tracking the sun
- Heat storage
- Health and safety
- Business development
- Research topics
- Integrated cooking
- Heat-retention cooking
- Water pasteurization
- Improved combustion stoves
- Food processing
- Food drying
- Non-cooking uses