Last updated: August 4, 2013The San Diego Solar Cooking Club was formed in summer 2007 as a way to spread the word about solar cooking in the San Diego area. We meet for cooking demonstrations, oven making workshops, potlucks, and tabling events. Our goal is to share information and to have fun. We recently participated in a cooking demonstration for the national conference of the Solar Energy Society, "Solar 2008", and tabled at the Balboa Park Earth Fair for Earth Day. http://Meetup.com/532, or our email list. We welcome new members with or without experience.
News and recent developments
- January 2013: Jim La Joie has provided an update for 2012. The San Diego Solar Cooking Meetup group conducted six construction workshops and four solar cooking demonstrations during 2012. We have 303 members registered at our website http://www.meetup.com/cooking-532/. Solar cooking demonstrations are offered at community green events (SanTree fest in Santee, Sustain LaMesa, San Diego Earth Day, and local schools. The building workshops involve from 10 to 20 students each building an All Season Solar Cooker for their personal use. During 2012 other like-minded groups became interested in the All Season Solar Cooker and have established links to the website and have begun conducting workshops of their own, using plans and information from the website. Group member Jim La Joie continues his outreach efforts via website www.allseasonsolarcooker.com, contacting users in over 140 different countries this past year. Most recently he donated cookers to a sustainability project in the dry forests of northern Peru.
- Saturday, March 5, 2011: (Santee) The San Diego Solar Cooking Club will present a solar cooking demonstration from 9 a.m. - noon, at the Town Center Community Park East, 550 Park Center Drive. More Information...
- Saturday, November 13, 2010: (Escondido) The San Diego Solar Cooking Club will be presenting a solar cooking demonstration from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Grape Day park located at 321 N. Broadway. If you have a solar cooker, please bring it. If not, bring a dish to share. If you are solar cooking you may begin setup at 8 a.m. We will be pot-lucking and tasting our creations at 1 p.m. Please RSVP if coming.
- Saturday, October 9, 2010: (La Mesa) All Season Solar Cooker (ASSC) demonstration and construction workshop, 10 a.m.- 2 p.m. at Harry Griffin Park , 9550 Milden St. All solar cooks and cookers welcome, but you need to set up earlier. If you would like to build a cooker, you must let us know when you RSVP. The donation to cover the materials for a cut and folded, ready to cover cooker will be $30. ASSC plans will be available at no charge. More Information...
Articles in the media
- February 2009: These cooks busiest when sun is shining - San Diego Union-Tribune