Rowena Gerber heads the Education and Youth group of the Solar Cookers World Network. Rowena, a school teacher, has gotten many students into serious solar cooker design and construction. She also takes part in international gatherings.
News and recent developments
- November 2010: On November 20th, Rowena received the Global Educator Award from the 6th Annual MY HERO Film Festival to recognize the incredible impact of her Solar Oven Project. Over the years, Gerber and her students have raised thousands of dollars to send solar cookers to Senegal, Haiti and Afghanistan. Gerber chose sites that were “sun rich, but so poor otherwise.” These solar ovens harness sunlight to make a tremendous difference in the lives of families. In the process, the Solar Oven Project also teaches children about the importance of protecting and preserving their environment. More Information...
- August 2009: Rowena Gerber was honored as a Teacher Hero on http://www.myhero.com. Click here for a the full article, including a statement from a student as well as an interview with Rowena.
- November 2007: Rowena Gerber, director of the Abess Center for Environmental Studies at Miami Country Day School, reports that her students’ solar cooking activities during Earth Day in New York’s Central Park were quite successful. At 6:00 a.m., Paul Munsen, president of Sun Ovens International, set up one of his company’s giant Villager Sun Ovens® as a teaser to draw a crowd. ABC television broadcast solar cooking updates throughout the day, at various stages of the process. During one segment, the anchor man was served a solar-cooked breakfast of sausage, eggs and cinnamon rolls! As the day progressed, thousands of people filed by to taste the food and learn about solar cooking. Gerber’s students brought some of the solar cookers they had made from recycled materials, and cooked chicken, sausage, hotdogs, corn-on-the-cob, fondue, cookies, bread, and lots of other goodies. Gerber’s students collected donations throughout the day as part of an ongoing effort to raise funds to send a Villager Sun Oven® to Mekhe, Senegal, for a program run by Abdoulaye Toure.
Audio and video
- Rowena Gerber's Solar Oven Project at the Abess Center for Environmental Studies, 2010
- My Hero Project video on Rowena Gerber (High-res version)
- Rowena Gerber and the Solar Oven Project
Office: +1 305-779-7272