Last updated: November 20, 2014
Pia Otte has a PhD in Political Science and a MPhil in Development Studies from the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), located in Trondheim, Norway. The focus of her studies has been on the social adoption and the development effects of solar cookers (household/institutional) in the developing world. Within her studies Pia worked closely together with the NUFU Solar project. More information on this project can be found here: http://www.ntnu.no/ept/nufusolar.
Recent news and developments
- July 2014: Two oral presentations at the SCInet Solar Cooking Convention 2014 in Sacramento:
- June 2014: A New Turn Toward Solar Cooking - Pia Piroschka Otte. Learn how solar cookers are accepted and used in Burkina Faso and India. This paper discusses six case-studies from the two countries where Scheffler reflectors were used by a diverse selection of institutions. Read the paper: A (new) cultural turn toward solar cooking—Evidence from six case studies across India and Burkina Faso. More information about how solar cooker use can vary between cultures can be found on the solar cooker dissemination and cultural variables page.
- April 2014: For our Norwegian speaking audience, Pia Otte wrote an article on solar cooking published in Aftenposten Viten, which can be found here: http://www.aftenposten.no/viten/Teknologi-for-de-fattige-7540003.html#.U-dw8vl_ueE
- April 2013: A TEDx talk on solar cooking in Trondheim entitled "What I learned from cooking with the sun" can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddjRSo8LSh4
- November 2009: Published master thesis on solar cooking in Tanzania (VDM publisher) entitled "Cooking with the sun: An analysis of Solar Cooking in Tanzania, its adoption and impact on development"
The PhD research on solar cooking was financed by the NORGLOBAL program
Audio and video
- July 2014:
- July 2014:
- May 2013:
- Solar thermal energy - Small Scale Concentrating Solar Energy System
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pia.otte.7