Martin Almada is the director of Fundación Celestina Pérez de Almada, which uses solar cookers for cooking and solar food dryers to dry fruit for sale to boost local incomes and improve nutrition in schools.
News and recent developmentsEdit
- February 2013: Dr. Martin Almada reports that Fundación Celestina Pérez de Almada has been working since 1990 to promote food safety and generate employment for rural youth by promoting clean solar energy in Paraguay. Thanks to help form Switzerland and the Netherlands, CPA continues to manufacture solar cookers, solar food dryers, and solar water heaters. CPA is using solar energy to dry herbs for pharmaceutical use and tropical fruits for snacks.
- March 2007: Martin Almada reports that Paraguay has issued a postage stamp featuring a solar cooker. He feels the stamp is an advance in spreading awareness of solar cookers, and will contribute to environmental protection and energy conservation. He hopes that organizations elsewhere will follow this example and encourage creation of solar postage stamps in their own countries.
- March 2006: Paraguay continues to be an exciting place when it comes to transforming lives through solar energy. Responsible for a long chain of successes are two closely entwined organizations: la Fundación Celestina Pérez de Almada and the CEDESOL Foundation. Led by Professor Martin Almada and engineer Jean-Claude Pulfer, the twin organizations bring solar energy out of the laboratories and universities to people in need. Their projects provide enough solar equipment and training to transform whole villages, creating solar futures in several villages, and bringing those futures into the present, one village at a time. With support from the Swiss Embassy in Paraguay, the Almada-Pulfer team recently supplied solar cooking equipment to two schools for lunch preparation. Solar food dryers will provide out-of-season healthy fruit snacks to students. Dr. Almada was recently awarded a prestigious European Solar Prize from the European Association for Renewable Energies (EUROSOLAR). The award honors his “commitment for the use of renewable energies in order to give people hope and find a way out of poverty.” You can find more information on this award and view a short video of Dr. Almada’s work here.
Audio and videoEdit
- Guia de Uso de cocinas y hornos solares - Fundación Celestina Perez de Almada
- Guia de Uso de secaderos solares - Martin Almada
Fax: +595 21425345