Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|135 Countries · 350 NGOs · 282 Individuals|
167 Manufacturers · 396 Designs · 87 Plans
|Sponsored by Solar Cookers International|
Funded by the Agua Fund, Inc.
Solar cooking around the world
- 16-18 January 2017: 6th SCI World Conference 2017 - Solar Cookers International is organizing the next solar cooking conference to take place at the Muni Seva Ashram in Goraj (near Vadodara), Gujarat. Topics to be addressed include: solar cooking, solar food processing, energy policy, marketing & scaling up, coalition building & entrepreneurship, and solar thermal industrial applications. Applications for abstracts are still being accepted on these topics and others. See a complete list of topics and submittal information. The conference is also seeking corporate sponsorship. There will be optional off-site technology visits and an entrepreneurial workshop scheduled after the conference. See the information below.
- NEW: 19-22 January 2017: Supplemental conference site visits: Solar Cooking Technology Tour - A very special four day optional tour has been organized after the conference to give participants real life exposure to an incredible variety of solar power systems located in India. Simple meals and comfortable but modest local accommodations are included in the overall cost of the tour. Conference registration fees do not include site visit expenses. A summary of the site visits itinerary is listed below. Detailed site visit itinerary and registration information
- 19 January: Muni Seva Ashram to Tapi Food Products in Surat. Evening is free for people to visit Surat City. Stay overnight in Surat in a local hotel.
- 20 January: Travel from Surat to Dhule. Visit Dr. Ajay Chandak and stay overnight in Dhule.
- 21 January: Travel from Dhule to Indore. Visit the the Jimmy McGilligan Centre for Sustainable Development and stay overnight in Indore.
- 22 January: Visit Jaivik Setu and the Barli Development Institute for Rural Women in Indore. The tour will end in Indore, India on the 22nd of January. The bus will return to the Ashram by 9 pm on the 22nd of January.
- NEW: 19-20 January 2017: Supplemental conference workshop: Social Entrepreneurship Workshop after the conference: (Goraj) - The Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves (GACC) and the Global Social Benefit Institute (GSBI) jointly developed a program that helps prepare social enterprises in the developing world to apply for grants, investments, awards, and capacity development programs. Workshop topics will include the Social Impact Model, target market segmentation, value proposition, marketing, sales, distribution strategy, partnerships, value chains, and growth strategy. The workshop will be held at the Muni Seva Ashram. Details and registration information ...
- 23-25 March 2017: (Lahore) Solar Pakistan 2017 will be taking place at the Lahore Expo Centre. "The main focus of this exhibition is to highlight the importance of the most practical and readily available non-conventional renewable resource i.e. Solar Energy." It appears the primary focus will concern photovoltaics but organizers are soliciting exhibiters in the solar drying sector. More information...
- October 2016 - May 2017: (Geneva): Solemyo is offering solar cooker construction workshops from October 2016 until May 2017 on the first Saturday of each month. Three participants is the minimum class size. Organize a group of friends to attend. Vous trouverez plus d'informations ici - (English version)
- Solar Cooker at Cantina West will arrange solar cooking classes and demonstrations throughout Utah and southern Nevada for interested groups. More information...
- Haiti news: Eagle Scout arranges a solar cooker delivery to Haiti
- Media article (USA): Julie Greene is on a sun-fueled mission - Sacramento Business Journal
- Media article (Germany): Energiebilanz von Solarzellen - Energie Weblog (English version)
- Video: Julie Greene, SCI Executive Director, presenting at TEDxSacramento
- Audio: Sea Change Radio interview with Julie Greene
- Video: Las cocinas solares llegaron ayer a la playa de La Antilla - Canalcosta
- Kenya news: Faustine Odaba conducted a workshop about solar and heat-retention cooking cooking in Lordariak, Kajiado County, Kenya located between Nairobi and the Tanzanian border, for 132 participants.
- Page: Nakivale Refugee Settlement
- Video: Aquí la tierra - Un electrodoméstico revolucionario - TVE
- Brazilian promoter: Surian dos Santos
- Retained-heat cooker design: KotoThermosCooker
- Page: United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
- Cooker design: The LIBERTAD 400, a collapsable parabolic solar cooker from France.
- EVENT: 19 November 2016: (Ihiala, Nigeria) Solar Technology Fair at the Mother Paul Offiah Memorial Boy's Secondary School Azia
- Solar dryer design: SimplaSec Plus Solar Dryer
- Report: The Effect of Thickness of Aluminium Films on Optical Reflectance - Robert Lugolole and Sam Kinyera Obwoya
- Video: Caritas Chinh Toa and Solar Serve in Danang helped flood victims in Quang Binh
- Construction plans: Food drying attachment for solar panel cookers
- Uganda news: Makerere Students Assemble 'Made in Uganda' Solar Cooker - allAfrica
- EVENT: 3 November - 4 December 2016: (Aubagne, France) An experimental solar restaurant, "Le Présage" has been opened by chef, Ghislaine Milliet in Aubagne for one month.
- Cooker design: UltraLightCooker Traveller
- Cooker accessory: SunLife has developed a simple scaffold to raise the cook pot and provide a way for carrying
- Report: SunLife releases its Annual Report for 2015.
- Italy news: Forni solari da Murlo a Palermo - (English version)
- Device manual: Sol*Saver Manual
- Cooker design: UltraLightCooker Scout
- Media article (Nepal): Experts stress on providing clean cooking solution for all - myRepública
- Argentina news: Listen to Pierre Herrouët from Solar Inti explain how they his group is working to distribute solar cookers in the rugged Puna region of Argentina. The radio interview (Spanish).
- Video: Como construir una cocina solar de caja (Easy Lid)
- Manufacturer page: Clique Solar designs and installs versions of the ARUN 100 technology throughout India.
- India news: New solar thermal steam cooking system installed in Mahrashtra.
- EVENT: 29 October 2016: (Uruguay) Uruguay Events
- Media article (UK): UK family cuts its bills and carbon emissions - The Oxford Times
- Report: Construct a fresnel lens base from foam and a heated cutting wire - (English version)
- Media article (Spain): La cocina solar y sus beneficios - Huelva Información
- EVENT: Fall 2016: (Online) Dr. Ajay Chandak is organizing free workshops on Whatsapp. The first two are on solar cooking and innovative financing for solar power projects. Information to register...
- Patent: Non-imaging system for radiant energy flux transformation (Patent #US20020139414A1)
- Solar Cookers International news: Julie Greene, SCI Executive Director, was nominated for the Outstanding Women Leaders Award for Vision by the National Association of Women Business Owners, Sacramento Valley. More info...
- Solar Cookers International news: Solar Cookers International proudly joined Peace Boat Int'l to demonstrate solar cooking in New York, NY on 20 October 2016.
- Switzerland news: Solemyo is offering solar cooker workshops at their location in Geneva through the fall and winter
- Manufacturer page: ISOMET has a long history of promoting solar cooking and drying in Burkina Faso.
- Media article (Solari): Solari, la pentola per cucinare a energia solare. L'idea di Bodin Hon, designer giramondo con la passione per l'Italia - (English version) - L'Huffington Post
- Media article (The Gambia): Mental health facility receives donation of solar appliances to help with patient recovery'
- Report: How Solar Connect sustains the solar cooking business - Kawesa Mukasa, Director
- Report: Développement et expérimentation d’un nouveau cuiseur solaire stationnaire - A. Harmim * , M. Merzouk 1, M. Boukar et M. Amar
- EVENT: 15-16 October 2016: (La Paz, Bolivia) Inti Illimani is offering a two-day workshop covering the construction and use of solar cookers in the Sopocachi neighborhood of La Paz. More information at: asociación.email@example.com
- Sudan news: All-metal solar box cooker in production from the Solar Energy Enterprises Company
- EVENT - 10 October 2016 - 22:00 GMT (16:00 Central Time - Chiapas): Nociones basicas de la concentración solar.
- El Salvador news: In 2017, Cocina Solar Booix is planning to collaborate with Grupo El Salvador de Ingeniería Sin Fronteras and distribute 100 of their box cookers to families in El Salvador.
- Parvati Solar Cooker news: Parvarti Solar Cooker available through eBay
- Algeria news: The Renewable Energy Development Center of Algeria has developed the Asymetric CPC box solar cooker.
- Media article (India): HIMURJA provides over 37,000 solar cookers - daijiworld
- Senegal news: Pilot project initiated in Diouloulou, South Senegal with assistance from Solar Cooking KoZon
- Document: Ben Stove workspace - Dieter Seifert
For older news and new content log, please see the Solar cooking news archive.
Solar Cookers International Network
- About this wiki
- Create account and add your knowledge
- Add a new article
- Sign up for the SCI Digest
- Become an SCI Associate
Solar cooking basics
- Intro to solar cooking
- Build a solar cooker
- Buy a solar cooker
- Pots, glazing, glue, paint, etc.
- Cooking guidelines
- Frequently-asked questions
- Construction plans
- Manufacturers and vendors
- Project evaluations
- Discussion groups
Teaching and promotion
Solar cooking in depth
- Refugee camps
- Institutional solar cooking
- Testing solar cookers
- Tracking the sun
- Health and safety
- Research topics
- Integrated cooking
- Heat-retention cooking
- Water pasteurization
- Improved combustion stoves
- Food processing
- Food drying
- Non-cooking uses