|124 Countries · 395 NGOs · 455 Individuals|
165 Manufacturers · 374 Designs · 72 Plans
|Sponsored by Solar Cookers International|
Funded by the Agua Fund, Inc.
Welcome to the Solar Cookers International Network (SCInet) Wiki, the world’s premier resource for solar cooking and related technologies. The articles on this site are consulted more than a quarter million times each month as people seek in-depth information on these topics. This wiki-based site can be edited by everyone and thus offers a global platform for information sharing. Learn about solar cooking field projects, research, design, and promotion. Groups and individuals directly involved in these efforts are invited to join SCInet and work with us to improve this resource and to further solar cooking around the world. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We invite you to take a short survey to help us improve this website.
- Hillary Clinton acknowledges solar cooking's role in solving cooking fuel crisis - In her keynote speech at a Global Alliance meeting, Hillary Clinton stated that students from the Clinton School of Public Service had traveled overseas to teach solar cooking.
- Create an account and log in to turn off most of the ads on this site.
- EG Solar has created a clever animated video short explaining the benefits of solar cooking - Visit EG Solar.
- New SCInet members - The SCInet wishes to welcome new member Engineers Without Borders - Sweden, established by Swedish engineer Stefan Karnebäck, working on water pasteurization projects in Cameroon.
- José Andrés debuts Sunny Day pop-up restaurant at Life is Beautiful festival - At the Life is Beautiful festival in Las Vegas, NV, José Andrés debuted Sunny Day, his new solar-powered pop-up restaurant. His goal for the new pop-up restaurant is to educate Americans about clean cooking around the world. Interview with José Andrés.
- Heat-retention cooker receives world attention - Wonderbag reports that over 650,000 of the brightly colored heat-retention cooking bags have been distributed worldwide.
- Solar cooking in the Navajo nation - Raquel Redshirt presented her solar cooker design at the TEDxABQ 2014 conference in Albuquerque, NM on September, 6 2014. She stated that her solar cooker was a more health-conscious option in her community which has a high rate of diabetes.
- Norwegian start-up company tackles heat storage for solar cookers - Guro Seim, CEO of Morpho Solar, announced a breakthrough in the heat storage capabilities for solar cookers. Read more...
- Global Hope Network International delivers solar cookers to Afghanistan - The Global Hope Network International reports its recent success in transporting 300 solar cookers to rural villages in central Afghanistan where all 300 were purchased by villagers.
- Increased demand and success for solar cooking in Mauritania - Solar Clutch has teamed up with Lutheran World Federation to introduce solar cooking to refugees entering Mauritania. Read more at: Solar Cooker Report Mauritania, April 2014
- Gourmet cook shifts to solar catering - Pierre-André Aubert used a mobile solar kitchen unit with an 8m² Scheffler Reflector, mounted on a trailer, in summer 2014 to cook for various events in the south of France. More info... - (English version)
- New SCInet members - The SCInet wishes to welcome new member Clement Musonda, an engineer promoting solar cooking in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and John Futhey, a solar cooker designer in Santa Rosa, California, USA.
| Read the Fall 2014 issue of Solar Cooker Review|
...or see back issues.
- New SCInet members - The SCInet wishes to welcome new members, the C.V. Ramen College of Engineering, under the leadership of Sanjib Rout in India. Also California, USA educator Sheela Kiiskila, and Koku Selom Agbavito, Executive Director of A.V.E.S-TOGO. Also, Irene Perbal from Jackson, California, USA has joined, and is represented by Solar Cooking Plus.
- Successful Kickstarter for the Sun Juicer - Congratulations to Leonel Gotlibowski and the Sun Juicer on their successful Kickstarter campaign! They set a goal of $15,000 and raised a total of $19,152. They describe the Sun Juicer as an emergency ultralight, compact, parabolic solar cooker. Read more...
- Update on Jewish World Watch Solar Cooker Project - Jewish World Watch published their Summer 2014 Solar Cooker Project newsletter. It offers background information on their refugee camp projects, highlights of the latest developments, and how to support it moving forward. Jewish World Watch reports that it has distributed approximately 128,000 CooKits with participation rates of 75% to 100% in the camps where they have worked: Kounoungou, Mile, Oure Cassoni, Touloum, and Iridimi. They also plan to provide an additional cooking pot for 10,000 families. Read more...
Solar Cookers International Network
Solar cooking basics
- Intro to solar cooking
- Build a solar cooker
- Buy a solar cooker
- Pots, reflectors, etc.
- Cooking guidelines
- Construction plans
- Manufacturers and vendors
- Discussion groups
Teaching and promotion
- Promoting solar cooking
- Most significant projects
- Project evaluations
- Funding your project
- Classroom resources
Solar cooking in depth
- Refugee camps
- Institutional solar cooking
- Testing solar cookers
- Tracking the sun
- Health and safety
- Research topics
- Integrated cooking
- Heat-retention cooking
- Water pasteurization
- Water distillation
- Solar food processing
- Solar canning
- Solar food drying
- Solar autoclave
- Non-cooking uses
- Rocket Stoves
Questions and comments: email@example.com