|133 Countries · 395 NGOs · 315 Individuals|
171 Manufacturers · 389 Designs · 88 Plans
|Sponsored by Solar Cookers International|
Funded by the Agua Fund, Inc.
Solar cooking around the world
- October 3 - November 13, 2016: Appropriate Technology for the Developing World - Are you interested in international development, humanitarian work, or helping others with renewable energy internationally? If you answered yes, this course, put on by Solar Energy International is for you! The first section of this course surveys technologies that aim to improve people’s access to basic human needs: water and sanitation, food processing and cooking technologies, biomass, rural electrification, and appropriate building techniques. The second section of the class focuses on project development and implementation. Throughout this course the focus is on the community- their needs, how to guide decision makers to understand the benefits of different technologies, and how to learn from the community. Working with a community will ensure the success of an appropriate technology project. Register here...
- August 5-7, 2016: Spitak Solar Cooking Festival - Guests will be able to stay for free at the Center in Spitak (donation are appreciated). The guests will need to pay for their own food. Spitak is 100 km. North of the capital Yerevan. Bus transport is available. For more information write firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NEW: November 10-12, 2016: (Qingdao) The Solar Energy Forum-2016 is the first to take place in China. Organizers hope to have over 100 oral presentations in the field of solar energy. Those interested in presenting about solar cooking will be included in Session 4- Smart Solar Applications and Services, and should not delay in contacting organizers. The forum is intended to provide a platform for professionals around the world to exchange state-of-the-art research and development and identify research needs and opportunities in this emerging field. More information...
- January 16-22, 2017: (Vadodara, Gujarat) Solar Cookers International is organizing the next solar cooking conference to take place at the Muni Seva Ashram in Goraj (near Vadodara), Gujarat, India from 16-22 January, 2017. Topics to be addressed include: solar cooking, solar food processing, energy policy, marketing & scaling up, coalition building & entrepreneurship, and solar thermal industrial applications. Applications for abstracts are still being accepted on these topics and others. See a complete list of topics and submittal information. The conference is also seeking corporate sponsorship.
- NEW: October 5-7, 2016: (Capri) AEIT 2016 International Annual Conference: Sustainable Development in the Mediterranean Area, Energy and ICT Networks of the Future. The energy conference, with a broad range of topics, will focus on issues relevant to the Mediterranean region. More information...
- October 11-14, 2016 (Palma, Mallorca): 11th ISES EuroSun Conference - The International Conference on Solar Energy for Buildings and Industry is being organized by the International Solar Energy Society (ISES) , Asociación Espanola de Energia Solar (AEDES), and the University of the Balearic Islands. The conference "will be a unique platform to discuss the latest developments with leading solar energy specialists as well as policy makers and industry representatives. The congress will host topic sessions, keynote speakers, plenary sessions and open discussion forums, as well as social events where you will have the opportunity to network, to meet old friends and to make new contacts."
- Conference topics include:
- Solar Architecture and Net Zero Energy Buildings
- Solar Heat for Industrial Processes.
- Thermal Storage
- Solar Thermal Systems: Domestic Hot Water, Space Heating and Cooling
- Solar Assisted District Heating and Cooling and Large Scale Applications
- Testing & Certification
- Solar Thermal Collectors and Solar Loop Components
- PV and PVT systems for buildings and industry
- Solar Resource and Energy Meteorology
- Solar Education
- Renewable Energy Strategies and Policies
- Wolfgang Scheffler will make a keynote presentation on using solar thermal energy for steam generation. Registration is open until July 10, 2016. More information...
- NEW: August 4-7, 2016: (Chepstow) Visit the UK Green Gathering, which will be run exclusively on wind and solar, and take part in the '2016 All World Fireless Cooker Beauty Contest' promoted by SLiCK solar cookers. An impartial judging panel will be drawn from festival attendees. Send hard copy A4 photos of your fireless cooker with a short write-up if you can not attend. Details to come on the SLiCK website.
- NEW: Saturday, July 16, 2016: (Sacramento) EnergyTeachers.org is offering a solar cooking workshop at the summer conference of the American Association of Physics Teachers, in Sacramento. EnergyTeachers.org is offering to reimburse, for needy teachers, the $85 workshop fee, but there is also the conference registration fee, which starts at $85 for attending only workshops, and goes to higher amounts for the five-day conference. For more information contact email@example.com or see workshop details and registration.
- Solar Cooker at Cantina West will arrange solar cooking classes and demonstrations throughout Utah and southern Nevada for interested groups. Shade and seating will be provided for the class. More information...
- EVENT: August 4-7, 2016: (Chepstow, United Kingdom) Visit the UK Green Gathering, which will be run exclusively on wind and solar, and take part in the '2016 All World Fireless Cooker Beauty Contest' promoted by SLiCK solar cookers. More information...
- Report: The Lancet Neurology: For the first time, air pollution emerges as a leading risk factor for stroke worldwide - The Lancet
- Report: Traditional Charcoal in Africa and Need of African Institutes (ARTIS) - Dieter Seifert
- Wiki page: Developmental Association for Renewable Energies
- Wiki page: Solar charcoal
- Wiki page: Baking in a parabolic solar cooker
- Wiki page: HoSa Solar
- Bulgaria news: It is now possible to rent a solar cooker in Bulgaria and have the rental amount apply toward the purchase price if desired: http://hosasolar.bg (English version)
- Article in the media: From cookstoves to forests, UN puts eye on mending global environment - Christian Science Monitor
- Article in the Media: India: Government Presents 102 Awards for Solar Process Heat and Solar Cooking - Global Solar Thermal Energy Council
- Ecuador News: Prof. Rodrigo Carpio reports that Fundación Inti Uma Ecuador continues to organize solar cooking workshops for community groups, schools, and universities. More information...
- EVENT: July 16, 2016: (Sacramento, USA) EnergyTeachers.org is offering a solar cooking workshop at the summer conference of the American Association of Physics Teachers, in Sacramento. EnergyTeachers.org is offering to reimburse, for needy teachers, the $85 workshop fee, but there is also the conference registration fee, which starts at $85 for attending only workshops, and goes to higher amounts for the five-day conference. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org or see workshop details and registration.
- Presentations: 1) The Solar Food Dehydrator; 2) The Solar Box Oven; 3) The Solar Dryer in Wings for Buko Shells
- Report: ADES Gold Standard voluntary carbon credit project (2006)
- Handbook: How to Use Integrated Sustainable Solar CooKing - Solar Cooking The Netherlands - KoZon
- Handbook: Trainers' Manual: How to Use Integrated Sustainable Solar CooKing - Solar Cooking The Netherlands - KoZon
- Handbook: Instruction booklet for end users (images without text) - Solar Cooking The Netherlands - KoZon
- External link: Información detallada en español acerca de los hornillos Ben 2 y Ben 3
- Resource: Two new sets of solar cooking pots available on Amazon.com
- Article in the media: South African Company Designs Unique Solar Cooker - VOA
- Video: A group in Mauritania shows how an invasive plant can be used to make charcoal briquettes
- Cooker design: High Back Solar Cooker
- Document: All Season Solar Cooker 2.0 frequently-asked questions
- EVENT: June 21-22, 2016: (New York City, USA) The 13th Annual Renewable Energy Finance Forum-Wall Street will take place at the Grand Hyatt Hotel. Organizers state that the event draws an especially senior audience, comprising of over 600 decision makers, lenders, investors, investment bankers, private equity investors, venture capitalists, and other top transactional professionals in renewable energy finance. More information...
- EVENT: June 15-17, 2016: (Madrid, Spain) GENERA 2016, the annual Energy and Environment International Trade Fair, will be held at IFEMA - Feria de Madrid. Hall 5. The range of sustainable energy topics will include solar thermal. More information...
- EVENT: June 14-16, 2016: (Brussels, Belgium) Sustainable Energy Week has been organized by the European Commission to debate new policy developments, best practices and sustainable energy ideas, while networking events to forge alliances. More information...
- Kenya news: Camily Wedende recently presented the benefits of solar cooking to fellow members of Rotary Club of Eldoret, Kenya. Camily is the group leader of the Eldoret Student Projects program.
- EVENT: Monday, June 20, 2016: (Worldwide) Join the global community of supporters dedicated to making an impact with solar cooking. Gather your friends wherever you are and join in via Facebook, Twitter, email or YouTube with #CelebrateSolstice on June 20. - See more at: Celebrate Solstice - SCI
- Facebook link: Inti Illimani
- External link: The Fireless Cookbook - Margaret Johnes Mitchell (Kindle version available for $0.99 USD)
- External link: The All Season Solar Cooker 2.0 is now available on Amazon
- Cooker design: Solari
- Article in the media: Band-e-Amir: Afghanistan’s Hidden Wonderland - UNDP
- Report: Solar Thermal Technologies in Pakistan - Practical Action
- Article in the media: How Solar + Storage Can Be Cheaper Than Coal - Clean Technica
- Afghanistan news: The Wildlife Conservation Society, in partnership with the United Nations Development Programme, delivered solar cookers and fuel-efficient stoves to residents of the Band-e-Amir National Park in order to reduce fuelwood consumption. Read more...
- Article in the media: This Solar-Powered Cooker Is Actually Saving People’s Lives - Huffington Post Tech UK
- Interview: Jo Hasler und der LAZOLA-Solarkocher - SunPod
- Article in the media: Kenya’s Young Inventors Shake Up Old Technology - Inter Press Service
- Algerian NGO: Renewable Energy Development Center (CDER)
- Report: Comparative assessment of two different designs of box solar cookers under algerian sahara conditions - F. Yettou, et al
- Solar cooking recipe site: Sunshine on my Shoulder - Merry Bevill
- Wiki page: Centre de Développement DISADISA/ASBL
- DRC news: Centre de Developpement Disadisa ONGD/ASBL- May 2016
- Article in the media: Ministry selected Aryans Chandigarh for developing as Green Campus - Punjab News Express
- Article in the media: WHO: Global air pollution is worsening, and poor countries are being hit the hardest - The Washington Post
- Updated construction plans: Ben 2 and Ben 3 Firewood Stoves
- South African vendor: So Solar
- Stove design: Hobo Stove Gasifier
- Demonstration video: TIDES Demo 2012- Day One narrated by Patricia McArdle
- Article in the media: India air pollution kills half a million per year, costs hundreds of billions – study - RT
- Sierra Leone news: Solar Cookers International is seeking community solar cooking trainers and local manufacturing partners in Sierra Leone (near Newton and Freetown) to explore a potential project. If interested, contact email@example.com with information about your experience and qualifications.
- Cooker design: MUMA Solar Cooker
- India news: It was acknowledged at CONSOLFOOD 2016 that Tapi Food Products began their solar food processing in 2007 with a Scheffler solar parabolic to steam system, becoming India's first solar food processing facility. Case Study of Food Processing Factory Using Solar Concentrators - Ghanshyam Lukhi, Tapi Foods, India
- Article in the media: Making xacuti while the sun shines - Times of India
- Article in the media: From cookstoves to beefsteak, José Andrés wants to revolutionize the world of food - Fusion
- Wiki page: Solar and thermal calculations
- Sudan news: Industrial Development of Solar Cookers in Sudan
- Article in the media: GEDA’s solar cooker initiative wins laurels - Times of India
- Article in the media: South African Company Designs Unique Solar Cooker - Voice of America
- EVENT: : Sunday, June 12, 2016: (Limassol sea wall open theater, Cyprus) The Diamond Solar Cooking Show
- Video: Piyush Goyal, Minister of State with Independent Charge for Power, Coal and New & Renewable Energy, presents on solar energy use in India.
- Sudan news: Solar Cooking on Earth Day
For older news and new content log, please see the Solar cooking news archive.
Solar Cookers International Network
- About this wiki
- Create an account to remove most ads
- Add a new article
- Sign up for the SCI Digest
- Become an SCI Associate
Solar cooking basics
- Intro to solar cooking
- Build a solar cooker
- Buy a solar cooker
- Pots, reflectors, etc.
- Cooking guidelines
- Frequently-asked questions
- Construction plans
- Manufacturers and vendors
- Discussion groups
Teaching and promotion
- Promoting solar cooking
- Most significant projects
- Project evaluations
- Funding your project
- Classroom resources
Solar cooking in depth
- Refugee camps
- Institutional solar cooking
- Testing solar cookers
- Tracking the sun
- Health and safety
- Research topics
- Integrated cooking
- Heat-retention cooking
- Water pasteurization
- Fuel-efficient woodstoves
- Water distillation
- Food processing
- Food drying
- Non-cooking uses