|133 Countries · 395 NGOs · 315 Individuals|
171 Manufacturers · 389 Designs · 88 Plans
|Sponsored by Solar Cookers International|
Funded by the Agua Fund, Inc.
Solar cooking around the world
- October 3 - November 13, 2016: Appropriate Technology for the Developing World - Are you interested in international development, humanitarian work, or helping others with renewable energy internationally? If you answered yes, this course, put on by Solar Energy International is for you! The first section of this course surveys technologies that aim to improve people’s access to basic human needs: water and sanitation, food processing and cooking technologies, biomass, rural electrification, and appropriate building techniques. The second section of the class focuses on project development and implementation. Throughout this course the focus is on the community- their needs, how to guide decision makers to understand the benefits of different technologies, and how to learn from the community. Working with a community will ensure the success of an appropriate technology project. Register here...
- August 5-7, 2016: Spitak Solar Cooking Festival - Guests will be able to stay for free at the Center in Spitak (donation are appreciated). The guests will need to pay for their own food. Spitak is 100 km. North of the capital Yerevan. Bus transport is available. For more information write firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NEW: Sunday, June 12, 2016: (Limassol sea wall open theater): The Diamond Solar Cooking Show is a public event where we show citizens how anyone can use the heat of the sun as a simple and effective way to cook food, distill water or dry fruit. During the cooking time, we will have the opportunity to explain to people why sustainable energy is important and to help them discover the transition to secure, clean and efficient energy. At the end of the event, everyone can taste the food that we cooked. On the event site, we will also set up a kids’ workshop in order to teach them how to create a solar cooker using mirror paper. The event takes place from 9:00 - 13:00 and the participation cost is €2 per person. More info...
- 27-28 Mai 2016: (Nantes) PROJET DE DÉVELOPPEMENT ET CUISEURS ÉCOLOGIQUES - Deux journées avec Bolivia Inti-Sud Soleil qui permettent aux participants de consolider leur démarche de projet de développement de cuisson écologique, et d’acquérir les connaissances sur les cuiseurs écologiques et sur la fabrication d’un cuiseur à bois économe. Plus d'informations...
- NEW: May 27-28, 2016: (Wietow) Eighth International Conference: Food quality, solar cooking, drying, farming and gardening. More information...
- NEW: January 16-22, 2017: (Vadodara, Gujarat) Solar Cookers International is organizing the next solar cooking conference to take place at the Muni Seva Ashram in Goraj (near Vadodara), Gujarat, India from 16-22 January, 2017. Topics to be addressed include: solar cooking, solar food processing, energy policy, marketing & scaling up, coalition building & entrepreneurship, and solar thermal industrial applications. Applications for abstracts are still being accepted on these topics and others. See a complete list of topics and submittal information.
- June 7-10, 2016: (Florence): The 16th IEEE International Conference on Environment and Electrical Engineering is an international forum for the exchange of ideas and information on energy systems, taking place next summer in Italy. Delegates make presentations and discuss various issues, including clean and renewable energy solutions, for protection of our environment. Originally, authors were invited to submit original papers by January 31, 2016. Due to numerous requests, the manuscript submission deadline has been extended to February 15, 2016. More information...
- October 11-14, 2016 (Palma, Mallorca): 11th ISES EuroSun Conference - The International Conference on Solar Energy for Buildings and Industry is being organized by the International Solar Energy Society (ISES) , Asociación Espanola de Energia Solar (AEDES), and the University of the Balearic Islands. The conference "will be a unique platform to discuss the latest developments with leading solar energy specialists as well as policy makers and industry representatives. The congress will host topic sessions, keynote speakers, plenary sessions and open discussion forums, as well as social events where you will have the opportunity to network, to meet old friends and to make new contacts."
- Conference topics include:
- Solar Architecture and Net Zero Energy Buildings
- Solar Heat for Industrial Processes.
- Thermal Storage
- Solar Thermal Systems: Domestic Hot Water, Space Heating and Cooling
- Solar Assisted District Heating and Cooling and Large Scale Applications
- Testing & Certification
- Solar Thermal Collectors and Solar Loop Components
- PV and PVT systems for buildings and industry
- Solar Resource and Energy Meteorology
- Solar Education
- Renewable Energy Strategies and Policies
- Wolfgang Scheffler will make a keynote presentation on using solar thermal energy for steam generation. Registration is open until July 10, 2016. More information...
- NEW: Saturday, June 11, 2016: (Cordova) Solar cooking allows you to cook your food while saving time, energy and money—plus it's fun! Gain an understanding of how solar cooking works and the pros and cons of a number of different types of cookers. We will discuss how and when to use your solar cooker and provide recipes that lead to successful meals. Try solar-cooked foods and learn about how solar cookers are helping change lives in many parts of the world. Price: $40. More information...
- Solar Cooker at Cantina West will arrange solar cooking classes and demonstrations throughout Utah and southern Nevada for interested groups. Shade and seating will be provided for the class. More information...
- Afghanistan news: The Wildlife Conservation Society, in partnership with the United Nations Development Programme, delivered solar cookers and fuel-efficient stoves to residents of the Band-e-Amir National Park in order to reduce fuelwood consumption. Read more...
- Article in the media: This Solar-Powered Cooker Is Actually Saving People’s Lives - Huffington Post Tech UK
- Interview: Jo Hasler und der LAZOLA-Solarkocher - SunPod
- Article in the media: Kenya’s Young Inventors Shake Up Old Technology - Inter Press Service
- Algerian NGO: Renewable Energy Development Center (CDER)
- Report: Comparative assessment of two different designs of box solar cookers under algerian sahara conditions - F. Yettou, et al
- Solar cooking recipe site: Sunshine on my Shoulder - Merry Bevill
- Wiki page: Centre de Développement DISADISA/ASBL
- DRC news: Centre de Developpement Disadisa ONGD/ASBL- May 2016
- Article in the media: Ministry selected Aryans Chandigarh for developing as Green Campus - Punjab News Express
- Article in the media: WHO: Global air pollution is worsening, and poor countries are being hit the hardest - The Washington Post
- Updated construction plans: Ben 2 and Ben 3 Firewood Stoves
- South African vendor: So Solar
- Stove design: Hobo Stove Gasifier
- Demonstration video: TIDES Demo 2012- Day One narrated by Patricia McArdle
- Article in the media: India air pollution kills half a million per year, costs hundreds of billions – study - RT
- Sierra Leone news: Solar Cookers International is seeking community solar cooking trainers and local manufacturing partners in Sierra Leone (near Newton and Freetown) to explore a potential project. If interested, contact email@example.com with information about your experience and qualifications.
- Cooker design: MUMA Solar Cooker
- India news: It was acknowledged at CONSOLFOOD 2016 that Tapi Food Products began their solar food processing in 2007 with a Scheffler solar parabolic to steam system, becoming India's first solar food processing facility. Case Study of Food Processing Factory Using Solar Concentrators - Ghanshyam Lukhi, Tapi Foods, India
- Article in the media: Making xacuti while the sun shines - Times of India
- Article in the media: From cookstoves to beefsteak, José Andrés wants to revolutionize the world of food - Fusion
- Page: Solar and thermal calculations
- Sudan news: Industrial Development of Solar Cookers in Sudan
- Article in the media: GEDA’s solar cooker initiative wins laurels - Times of India
- Article in the media: South African Company Designs Unique Solar Cooker - Voice of America
- EVENT: : Sunday, June 12, 2016: (Limassol sea wall open theater, Cyprus) The Diamond Solar Cooking Show
- Video: Piyush Goyal, Minister of State with Independent Charge for Power, Coal and New & Renewable Energy, presents on solar energy use in India.
- Sudan news: Solar Cooking on Earth Day
- Document: Illustrated instructions for building the tripod stand for the Ben 2 and Ben 3 Firewood Stoves without welding (también en español)
- Kenya news - Camily Wedende, group leader of Eldoret Student Projects in Elodoret, Kenya and member of Rotary Club of Eldoret, leads a Train-the-Trainers Workshop for the Rotary Club of Gulu, Uganda. The Uganda Rotary Club is preparing to distribute 500 Haines Solar Cookers in Northern Uganda and is learning more about solar cooking from Camily's years of experience building, teaching and cooking with solar.
- Cooker design: Sun Cork
- Article in the media: Rural school promotes solar energy - The Namibian
- Document: Faro Declaration of Intent 2016
- Newsletter: Kathy Dahl-Bredine's March-April 2016 newsletter. (Mexico)
- Article in the media: Back to the future: A solar oven project (food waste recycling) - The Tiger
- Article in the media: Baking a carrot cake on a boat led to buying a company - Star Tribune
- Article in the media: Churchville-Chili solar cooker team wins ASU Tech Challenge - Gates-Chili Post
- Document: Devices for temperature measurement in the HotPot Solar Cooker - Solar Household Energy
- Video: One Earth Designs vil revolusjonere energibranshen (Norway)
- Article in the media: Griller pølser og lader opp mobilen ved hjelp av sola - Adressa.no
- EVENT: : Sunday, April 24, 2016: (Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, USA) In celebration of Earth Week, the Sisters of St. Agnes invite the public to an open house from 1 to 4 pm. to learn about solar energy. There will be displays on renewable energy, sustainable living, and the creation of a solar oven. St. Agnes Convent is located at 320 Fond du Lac County K, Fond du Lac. More information...
- EVENT: : Thursday, April 21, 2016: (Sierra Vista, Arizona, USA) The Sierra Vista Farmers Market’s annual Earth Day Celebration will be held during regular market hours from 10am to 2pm. at Veterans’ Memorial Park. The event will include solar cooking demonstrations. More information...
- Article in the media: McGilligan demonstrates power of solar cooking - The Free Press Journal
- EVENT: : Saturday, April 30, 2016: (Tucson, Arizona, USA) Citizens for Solar will be holding its Annual Solar Potluck at Catalina State Park from 10am until sunset. More information...
- Document: Remarks on Stove Technologies - Dieter Seifert
- Document: Information on the ISO-TC-285 Cookstoves Standards
- Page: Solar Wok
- Article: Poor people don't need your charity – they need you to listen - World Economic Forum
- EVENT: : Saturday, April 16, 2016: (Thousand Oaks, California, USA) Arbor/Earth Day Celebration - Solar cookers will be demonstrated. More information...
- Article in the media: Roorkee IIT uses solar energy for steam cooking - The Tribune
- Design: EuroSolarCooker Star
- Audio interview: Crosby Menzies, director of SunFire Solutions, interview on the SunPod podcast. The discussion includes how Crosby got started with solar cooking and his new project, Solar Caravans. Recorded at CONSOLFOOD 2016. Listen on podcast page...
- Magazine issue: Energy in Emergency Situations - Boiling Point
- EVENT: Saturday, June 11, 2016: (Cordova, California, USA) Solar cooking allows you to cook your food while saving time, energy and money—plus it's fun! Gain an understanding of how solar cooking works and the pros and cons of a number of different types of cookers. We will discuss how and when to use your solar cooker and provide recipes that lead to successful meals. Try solar-cooked foods and learn about how solar cookers are helping change lives in many parts of the world. Price: $40. More information...
- Video: What can you cook in a Solavore Sport solar oven? You will be amazed by the possibilities!
- Article in the media: These Clark entrepreneurs have some big ideas (Sun Top Solar Cookers)- Clark University
- Video: Demonstration of the CooKit solar panel cooker
- Article in the media: Three Solar Ovens that Give You the Power to Cook with the Sun - EcoWatch
- Kenya News: Local woman from Kingston provides school lunches and solar cookers to nearby Kamin Oningo. Read more...
- Video: SCI Solar Cooking Festival 2014
- Interview: Michael Bonke interviews Pedro Serrano about the solar restaurant, Villaseca, in Chile, with also his reflections on CONSOLFOOD 2016. - SunPod (The nineteen minute interview begins in German for the first few minutes and then switches to English.)
- Philippines news: USAID has begun to provide solar rice dryers to rice farmers in the Philippines as part of the recovery from the typhoon in December 2015.
- Language: Added Pashto translation to the entire site
- Manual: How to Use a Parabolic Solar Cooker (Dari and English) - Grace Magney
- Video: Manual de construcción de cocina solar parabólica de Cartón (Spanish and English)
- Article in the media: When summer arrives, go solar - The Navhind Times
For older news and new content log, please see the Solar cooking news archive.
Solar Cookers International Network
- About this wiki
- Create an account
- Add a new article
- Sign up for the SCI Digest
- Become an SCI Associate
Solar cooking basics
- Intro to solar cooking
- Build a solar cooker
- Buy a solar cooker
- Pots, reflectors, etc.
- Cooking guidelines
- Frequently-asked questions
- Construction plans
- Manufacturers and vendors
- Discussion groups
Teaching and promotion
- Promoting solar cooking
- Most significant projects
- Project evaluations
- Funding your project
- Classroom resources
Solar cooking in depth
- Refugee camps
- Institutional solar cooking
- Testing solar cookers
- Tracking the sun
- Health and safety
- Research topics
- Integrated cooking
- Heat-retention cooking
- Water pasteurization
- Fuel-efficient woodstoves
- Water distillation
- Food processing
- Food drying
- Non-cooking uses