|133 Countries · 395 NGOs · 315 Individuals|
171 Manufacturers · 389 Designs · 88 Plans
|Sponsored by Solar Cookers International|
Funded by the Agua Fund, Inc.
Solar cooking around the world
- October 3 - November 13, 2016: Appropriate Technology for the Developing World - Are you interested in international development, humanitarian work, or helping others with renewable energy internationally? If you answered yes, this course, put on by Solar Energy International is for you! The first section of this course surveys technologies that aim to improve people’s access to basic human needs: water and sanitation, food processing and cooking technologies, biomass, rural electrification, and appropriate building techniques. The second section of the class focuses on project development and implementation. Throughout this course the focus is on the community- their needs, how to guide decision makers to understand the benefits of different technologies, and how to learn from the community. Working with a community will ensure the success of an appropriate technology project. Register here...
- August 5-7, 2016: Spitak Solar Cooking Festival - Guests will be able to stay for free at the Center in Spitak (donation are appreciated). The guests will need to pay for their own food. Spitak is 100 km. North of the capital Yerevan. Bus transport is available. For more information write firstname.lastname@example.org.
- November 10-12, 2016: (Qingdao) The Solar Energy Forum-2016 is the first to take place in China. Organizers hope to have over 100 oral presentations in the field of solar energy. Those interested in presenting about solar cooking will be included in Session 4- Smart Solar Applications and Services, and should not delay in contacting organizers. The forum is intended to provide a platform for professionals around the world to exchange state-of-the-art research and development and identify research needs and opportunities in this emerging field. More information...
- January 16-22, 2017: (Vadodara, Gujarat) Solar Cookers International is organizing the next solar cooking conference to take place at the Muni Seva Ashram in Goraj (near Vadodara), Gujarat, India from 16-22 January, 2017. Topics to be addressed include: solar cooking, solar food processing, energy policy, marketing & scaling up, coalition building & entrepreneurship, and solar thermal industrial applications. Applications for abstracts are still being accepted on these topics and others. See a complete list of topics and submittal information. The conference is also seeking corporate sponsorship.
- October 5-7, 2016: (Capri) AEIT 2016 International Annual Conference: Sustainable Development in the Mediterranean Area, Energy and ICT Networks of the Future. The energy conference, with a broad range of topics, will focus on issues relevant to the Mediterranean region. More information...
- NEW: October 14-16, 2016: (Ouarzazate) Morocco Solar Festival
- NEW: March 23-25, 2017: (Lahore) Solar Pakistan 2017 will be taking place at the Lahore Expo Centre. "The main focus of this exhibition is to highlight the importance of the most practical and readily available non-conventional renewable resource i.e. Solar Energy." It appears the primary focus will concern photovoltaics but organizers are soliciting exhibiters in the solar drying sector. More information...
- NEW: July 27, 2016: (Faro) EcoSol Meeting - Surprise moment with Padre Himalaya and a solar lunch will take place at the Instituto Superior de Engenharia - Universidade do Algarve, Campus da Penha, Faro-Portugal. Meeting language will be Portuguese, but this will be not a big barrier if you are interested in this solar cooking activity. More information...
- October 11-14, 2016 (Palma, Mallorca): 11th ISES EuroSun Conference - The International Conference on Solar Energy for Buildings and Industry is being organized by the International Solar Energy Society (ISES) , Asociación Espanola de Energia Solar (AEDES), and the University of the Balearic Islands. The conference "will be a unique platform to discuss the latest developments with leading solar energy specialists as well as policy makers and industry representatives. The congress will host topic sessions, keynote speakers, plenary sessions and open discussion forums, as well as social events where you will have the opportunity to network, to meet old friends and to make new contacts."
- Conference topics include:
- Solar Architecture and Net Zero Energy Buildings
- Solar Heat for Industrial Processes.
- Thermal Storage
- Solar Thermal Systems: Domestic Hot Water, Space Heating and Cooling
- Solar Assisted District Heating and Cooling and Large Scale Applications
- Testing & Certification
- Solar Thermal Collectors and Solar Loop Components
- PV and PVT systems for buildings and industry
- Solar Resource and Energy Meteorology
- Solar Education
- Renewable Energy Strategies and Policies
- Wolfgang Scheffler will make a keynote presentation on using solar thermal energy for steam generation. Registration is open until July 10, 2016. More information...
- NEW: August 4-7, 2016: (Chepstow) Visit the UK Green Gathering, which will be run exclusively on wind and solar, and take part in the "2016 All World Fireless Cooker Beauty Contest" promoted by SLiCK solar cookers. An impartial judging panel will be drawn from festival attendees. Send hard copy A4 photos of your fireless cooker with a short write-up if you can not attend. Details to come on the SLiCK website.
- NEW: July 23 - August 6, 2016: (Dexter) People will be gathering at the Lost Valley Educational Center and eco-village, situated on eighty seven acres of mostly forested land located at 81868 Lost Valley Ln, Dexter, OR 97431, for solar cooking and camping. More information...
- Solar Cooker at Cantina West will arrange solar cooking classes and demonstrations throughout Utah and southern Nevada for interested groups. Shade and seating will be provided for the class. More information...
- USA news: Solar cooker manufacturer receives national certification as a women's business enterprise
- Presentation: Solar cooking and charcoal production in East Africa - Bernhard Müller
- EVENT: July 23 - August 6, 2016: (Dexter, OR, USA) People will be gathering at the Lost Valley Educational Center and eco-village, situated on eighty seven acres of mostly forested land located at 81868 Lost Valley Ln, Dexter, OR 97431, for solar cooking and camping. More information...
- Video: Τρέχουμε με 200! - Ηλιακός Φούρνος (Greenwave 2015)
- Video: SCInet Solar Cooking Festival 2014
- Article in the media: Environmentalists Deeply Concerned With Firewood Consumption in Refugee Camps - allAfrica
- EVENT: July 27, 2016: (Faro) EcoSol Meeting - Surprise moment with Padre Himalaya and a solar lunch will take place at the Instituto Superior de Engenharia - Universidade do Algarve, Campus da Penha, Faro-Portugal. Meeting language will be Portuguese, but this will be not a big barrier if you are interested in this solar cooking activity. More information...
- EVENT: October 14-16, 2016: (Ouarzazate) Morocco Solar Festival
- EVENT: Sunday, July 24, 2016: (Lincoln City, Oregon, USA) The Sustainable Living Center in Lincoln City is developing a series of free workshops to address how to cook after the 'Big One'. The first takes place from 1 pm - 4 pm. All are invited to participate in this free, hands-on solar demonstration workshop. More information...
- India news: NGO organizes solar cooker workshop for students - Times of India
- EVENT: Saturday, July 23, 2016: (Shoreline, Washington, USA) The NW SolarFest 2016 will take place from 10am - 5pm at Shoreline Community College, located at 16101 Greenwood Ave N. This event has included solar cooking demonstrations and displays in the past.
- Article in the media: Local retired professor looks to improve solar cooking - 22News - WWLP.com
- Report: China: Accelerating Household Access to Clean Cooking and Heating - World Bank
- Document: Faro Declaration of Intent (Spanish)
- Article in the media: Fun in the Sun: The 2015 Solar Cooking Festival - Energy Vanguard
- United Arab Emirates news: A new solar concentrator power plant was recently approved for construction in Dubai and is set to be the largest in the world. The plant will reportedly generate 1,000 megawatts of power by 2020 and 5,000 megawatts by 2030. Read more...
- Article in the media: Africa’s Charcoal Economy Is Cooking. The Trees Are Paying - New York Times
- Report: Optimization of Focal Length for a parabolic Solar Cooker Design - Hartmut Ehmler
- Article in the media: Senza gasolio né legna, con il solar cooker si cucina con la luce del sole - Lifegate
- Video: Cooking with stored solar heat in a "Sun Bucket"
- Handbook: Peace Corps Improved Cookstoves Manual (2013)
- Video: A Walk On The Brightside: Solar Cookers For Africa
- EVENT: July 16 2016: (Kofu) The 2nd All Japan Solar Cookers Convention. For more information, contact the Japan Solar Cooking Association.
- Article in the media: SunFire fights energy poverty in Africa with parabolic solar kits - inhabitat
- EVENT: March 23-25, 2017: (Lahore, Pakistan) Solar Pakistan 2017 will be taking place at the Lahore Expo Centre. "The main focus of this exhibition is to highlight the importance of the most practical and readily available non-conventional renewable resource i.e. Solar Energy." More information...
- Video: Fireless cookers complement solar cookers
- Article in the media: Un four solaire innovant assemblé par l’ESAT de Braconnac - APJH dan le Tarn (English version)
- Haiti news: El Fuego del Sol wins the 2015 Energy Globe Award for Haiti
- Tracking device: Simple solar tracker on Instructibles.com
- Reflective material option: New "Cool Roofing" material
- EVENT: August 4-7, 2016: (Chepstow, United Kingdom) Visit the UK Green Gathering, which will be run exclusively on wind and solar, and take part in the '2016 All World Fireless Cooker Beauty Contest' promoted by SLiCK solar cookers. More information...
- Report: The Lancet Neurology: For the first time, air pollution emerges as a leading risk factor for stroke worldwide - The Lancet
- Report: Traditional Charcoal in Africa and Need of African Institutes (ARTIS) - Dieter Seifert
- Wiki page: Developmental Association for Renewable Energies
- Wiki page: Solar charcoal
- Wiki page: Baking in a parabolic solar cooker
- Wiki page: HoSa Solar
- Bulgaria news: It is now possible to rent a solar cooker in Bulgaria and have the rental amount apply toward the purchase price if desired: http://hosasolar.bg (English version)
- Article in the media: From cookstoves to forests, UN puts eye on mending global environment - Christian Science Monitor
- Article in the Media: India: Government Presents 102 Awards for Solar Process Heat and Solar Cooking - Global Solar Thermal Energy Council
- Ecuador News: Prof. Rodrigo Carpio reports that Fundación Inti Uma Ecuador continues to organize solar cooking workshops for community groups, schools, and universities. More information...
- EVENT: July 16, 2016: (Sacramento, USA) EnergyTeachers.org is offering a solar cooking workshop at the summer conference of the American Association of Physics Teachers, in Sacramento. EnergyTeachers.org is offering to reimburse, for needy teachers, the $85 workshop fee, but there is also the conference registration fee, which starts at $85 for attending only workshops, and goes to higher amounts for the five-day conference. For more information contact email@example.com or see workshop details and registration.
- Presentations: 1) The Solar Food Dehydrator; 2) The Solar Box Oven; 3) The Solar Dryer in Wings for Buko Shells
- Report: ADES Gold Standard voluntary carbon credit project (2006)
- Handbook: How to Use Integrated Sustainable Solar CooKing - Solar Cooking The Netherlands - KoZon
- Handbook: Trainers' Manual: How to Use Integrated Sustainable Solar CooKing - Solar Cooking The Netherlands - KoZon
- Handbook: Instruction booklet for end users (images without text) - Solar Cooking The Netherlands - KoZon
- External link: Información detallada en español acerca de los hornillos Ben 2 y Ben 3
- Resource: Two new sets of solar cooking pots available on Amazon.com
- Article in the media: South African Company Designs Unique Solar Cooker - VOA
- Video: A group in Mauritania shows how an invasive plant can be used to make charcoal briquettes
- Cooker design: High Back Solar Cooker
- Document: All Season Solar Cooker 2.0 frequently-asked questions
- EVENT: June 21-22, 2016: (New York City, USA) The 13th Annual Renewable Energy Finance Forum-Wall Street will take place at the Grand Hyatt Hotel. Organizers state that the event draws an especially senior audience, comprising of over 600 decision makers, lenders, investors, investment bankers, private equity investors, venture capitalists, and other top transactional professionals in renewable energy finance. More information...
- EVENT: June 15-17, 2016: (Madrid, Spain) GENERA 2016, the annual Energy and Environment International Trade Fair, will be held at IFEMA - Feria de Madrid. Hall 5. The range of sustainable energy topics will include solar thermal. More information...
- EVENT: June 14-16, 2016: (Brussels, Belgium) Sustainable Energy Week has been organized by the European Commission to debate new policy developments, best practices and sustainable energy ideas, while networking events to forge alliances. More information...
- Kenya news: Camily Wedende recently presented the benefits of solar cooking to fellow members of Rotary Club of Eldoret, Kenya. Camily is the group leader of the Eldoret Student Projects program.
- EVENT: Monday, June 20, 2016: (Worldwide) Join the global community of supporters dedicated to making an impact with solar cooking. Gather your friends wherever you are and join in via Facebook, Twitter, email or YouTube with #CelebrateSolstice on June 20. - See more at: Celebrate Solstice - SCI
For older news and new content log, please see the Solar cooking news archive.
Solar Cookers International Network
- About this wiki
- Create an account to remove most ads
- Add a new article
- Sign up for the SCI Digest
- Become an SCI Associate
Solar cooking basics
- Intro to solar cooking
- Build a solar cooker
- Buy a solar cooker
- Pots, reflectors, etc.
- Cooking guidelines
- Frequently-asked questions
- Construction plans
- Manufacturers and vendors
- Discussion groups
Teaching and promotion
- Promoting solar cooking
- Most significant projects
- Project evaluations
- Funding your project
- Classroom resources
Solar cooking in depth
- Refugee camps
- Institutional solar cooking
- Testing solar cookers
- Tracking the sun
- Health and safety
- Research topics
- Integrated cooking
- Heat-retention cooking
- Water pasteurization
- Fuel-efficient woodstoves
- Water distillation
- Food processing
- Food drying
- Non-cooking uses