Last updated: November 12, 2015
Janak McGilligan and her late husband Jimmy McGilligan were Baha'i pioneers who established and developed the Barli Development Institute for Rural Women. Janak served as Director since its establishment on June 1, 1985 until she retired on April 16, 2011. Jimmy served as Manager from 1988 to 2011. Janak is now the director of the Jimmy McGilligan Centre for Sustainable Development.
Recent news and developments
- March 2015: SCInet member wins national award - Janak McGilligan won the prestigious national Padmashri award for distinguished achievement in social service on January 26, 2015. The Padma Awards is one of the highest civilian awards given in India. As former Director and Founder of the Barli Development Institute for Rural Women, she pioneered solar parabolic cooking for community use.
- January 2009: Advancing towards achievement of Millennium Development Goals by training Rural and Tribal women in Solar Food Processing - A Hands-on Experience at Barli Development Institute for Rural Women in Central India - Dr. Janak Palta McGilligan
Audio and video
- July 2014:
- Barli Development Institute for Rural Women
- Solar Cookers India
- Jimmy McGilligan, Janak's husband and partner in Barli Institute.
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/janakandjimmy
Tel: +91 9977713397, +91 9425032935