|135 Countries · 350 NGOs · 279 Individuals|
166 Manufacturers · 400 Designs · 92 Plans
|Sponsored by Solar Cookers International|
Funded by the Agua Fund, Inc.
Solar cooking around the world
Webinars and online events
- NEW: 29 November 2017, Wednesday: (8am-9:30am PST, 16:00–17:30 GMT): Winrock & U.S. EPA Cook Stoves & Indoor Air presents a webinar to hear Jim Jetter and his U.S. EPA colleagues discuss results from recent EPA cookstove research, including publications on life cycle assessments, mutagenicity health effects, PAH emissions, and ultrafine particles. Also to be included are the latest round of cookstove/fuel test reports. Webinar participation is free. For registration and log-in information inquire at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- NEW: 10 January 2018, Wednesday: (8-9am PDT, 15:00-16:00 GMT): Sector updates webinar - Solar Cookers International will sponsor the webinar, Solar Cooking Sector Updates, which is open and available to the public. It will give SCI and its partners an opportunity to promote sector knowledge sharing, coordination, and collaboration. Registration details will be shared at later date.
- NEW: 10 January 2018, Wednesday: (9-10am PDT, 16:00-17:00 GMT): Refugee Working Group (Conference Call) A one hour call is scheduled to follow the sector updates webinar. Registration details will be shared at later date.
- 6-17 November 2017: (Bonn) The 23rd session of the Conference of the Parties (COP 23) to the UN Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) will be organized by Fiji and hosted at the headquarters of the UNFCCC Secretariat in Bonn, Germany. Events and exhibits will take place in the "Bonn Zone" of the official conference venue, making it a major hub for showcasing climate action, knowledge-sharing, capacity-building and networking. More information...
- NEW: 28 November- 1 December 2017: (Nairobi) Safe Access to Fuel and Energy (SAFE) Humanitarian Workshop. More information...
- 3-6 December 2017: (Kathmandu) Call for Posters The International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD), jointly with the Government of Nepal’s Ministry of Population and Environment and with support from the European Union, is hosting an International Conference titled “Resilient Hindu Kush Himalaya: Developing Solutions towards a Sustainable Future for Asia”. This event will feature a special poster session dedicated to showcasing the innovative knowledge, solutions, and policies that young change-makers are contributing to for resilience-building in the Hindu Kush Himalaya (HKH). The aim of this special session is to give youth working in the HKH an opportunity to present their innovations in relation to the conference theme. The deadline is 8 September 2017 to submit posters. More information...
- 22-24 January 2018: (Faro) CONSOLFOOD 2018 is scheduled to take place at the Instituto Superior de Engenharia, Universidade do Algarve, Campus da Penha. This solar cooking conference will include oral sessions, keynote lectures, a round table discussion, and a poster session. The deadline for submission of abstracts for presentation consideration was 30 September 2017.
- NEW: 30 November-1 December 2017: (Pittsburg) The Student Energy Summit will take place at the Carnegie Science Center, with this year's theme of Innovations in Energy. Middle and high school students engage in hands-on activities featuring new products and applications associated with renewable and non-renewable energy to solve our everyday energy challenges. Students explore improvements in energy production in solar, wind, coal, and natural gas. More information...
- (Saint George) Solar Cooker at Cantina West will arrange solar cooking classes and demonstrations throughout Utah and southern Nevada for interested groups. More information...
- Somalia news: The Somalia government has announced that it will include solar cooking in their Nationally Determined Contributions, the national statement that defines a country's approach to achieving the goals outlined in the Paris Agreement (reported at COP23).
- Photovoltaic cooker design: Compact photovoltaic 12v induction cooker prototype - Puttaraj & Ashok Kundapur
- Chad news: Jesuit inventor frees women from the bondage of firewood and smoke
- EVENT: : 29 November, 2017, Wednesday (Online webinar): Winrock & U.S. EPA Cook Stoves & Indoor Air presents a webinar to hear Jim Jetter and his U.S. EPA colleagues discuss results from recent EPA cookstove research, including the latest round of cookstove/fuel test reports.
- EVENT: : 30 November-1 December, 2017 (Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, USA): The Student Energy Summit will take place at the Carnegie Science Center, with this year's theme of Innovations in Energy.
- Nicaragua news: Solar energy ‘like light from heaven’ for rural Nicaragua - Irish Times
- United Kingdom news: Great British Solar Bake Off 2017, held in Chepstow, United Kingdom
- Haiti video: How a Haitian village cooks with sunlight
- Puerto Rico news: The World Central Kitchen responds to the food crisis
- Solar advocate: Dedicated solar cooking proponent, Roger Haines, visits India, Kenya, and Uganda in 2017
- Business development: The Avon Ladies Of Renewable Energy – Solar Sister Bringing Light & Jobs To African Women - GirlTalkHQ
- Canada news: Oven cooks using the power of the sun, offered by marine supplier in New Foundland - The News
- Bangladesh news: Green initiative goes slow, lacks support - The Daily Star
- Kenya news: Kakuma Refugee Camp setting the pace in use of renewable energy
- Morocco news: Greenpeace Launches Solar Energy Education Project in Morocco - Morocco World News; Dans différentes régions du Maroc, Greenpeace transmet les rudiments de la cuisine à l'énergie solaire - (English version) - Huffpost Maroc
- South Africa report: The Role of Women in Sustainable Energy Development - Elizabeth Cecelski
- Manufacturer news: GoSun announces the GoSun Go, a smaller version of the company's original solar cooker
- Kenya news: Kenya brings in world's toughest plastic bag ban: four years jail or $40,000 fine - The Guardian
- Wiki article: Sun Scoop Lite
- Article in the media: How stoves can help solve a global pollution crisis - CBS News MoneyWatch
- Document: Rethinking the Box Oven - Dar Curtis
- USA news: Hubbard ‘Solar Sisters’ share love of cooking with sun - WKBN 27
- Wiki article: Greenpeace
- Earthquake response: Julie Greene from SCI, and Ole Kaven, geophysicist, discuss earthquakes and solar cooking options when power is out. Julie's discussion begins at 14:30 in this recording from 2015. - 3BL Media
- Mexico news: Solar Household Energy has partnered with Lorena Harp to provide solar cookers to earthquake victims in Mexico, as well as launch a new solar cooker social enterprise in the country
- Kenya refugee news: Webinar: Solar Cooking Sector Updates Refugee Working Group Call - Kenya
- Untied Kingdom news: Solar Cooking in the UK
- Disaster preparedness: Solar Cookers International’s Work for Disaster Preparedness.
- Bolivia news: Mujeres tacanas usan cocinas solares para secar semillas y convertirlas en artesanía - (English version) - Página Siete
- Cooking pot source: In the USA, it is very easy to find used crockpots in thrift stores that contain an inner ceramic pot with a glass lid that is perfect for solar cooking
- Document: Description of a rack for the Ben 2 and Ben 3 Firewood Stoves
- Zambia news: Clement Musonda has been building and using the Heliac fresnel cooker in Lusaka
- Environmental conference in China: Shyam Nandwani, Ph.D., represented the solar cooking sector at the 2nd International Conference on Advances in Energy and Environmental Research (ICAREE 2017) held in Guangzhou, China
- Wiki article: Solar Sisters
- Design development: Researchers in Mexico have created a solar box cooker requiring fewer reorientations to the sun
- Bolivia video: Inti Illimani aparece en la television boliviana
- Page about an individual: David Stein
- EVENT: : 9 September 2017 (Seattle, Washington, USA): The Sustainable Ballard Festival will be taking over the Ballard Commons Park from 11am to 4pm. Festivities will include solar cooking demonstrations.
- United Arab Emirates news: Women Play Key Role in Solar Energy Projects - Inter Press Service
- Article in the media: A Maker’s Journey to Help Refugees Cook Food with the Sun
- Video: REDMEREE Webinar: Grupo Fénix y las Mujeres Solares de Totogalpa
For older news and new content log, please see the Solar cooking news archive.
The Solar Cooking Wiki
- About this wiki
- Add or edit an article
- Sign up for the SCI Digest
- Become an SCI Associate
- About Solar Cookers International
Solar cooking basics
- Intro to solar cooking
- Build a solar cooker
- Buy a solar cooker
- Pots, glazing, glue, paint, etc.
- Cooking guidelines
- Frequently-asked questions
- New content
- Construction plans
- Manufacturers and vendors
- Project evaluations
- Discussion groups
Teaching and promotion
Solar cooking in depth
- Refugee camps
- Institutional solar cooking
- Testing solar cookers
- Tracking the sun
- Heat storage
- Health and safety
- Business development
- Research topics
- Integrated cooking
- Heat-retention cooking
- Water pasteurization
- Improved combustion stoves
- Food processing
- Food drying
- Non-cooking uses