Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Last updated: 9 November 2014
Grace Magney has been involved with solar cooking since the early 1980s. She and her late husband Gordon have been instrumental in providing over 20,000 solar cookers to the Afghanistan region. Since 2005 they have been working with Global Hope Network International there.
Recent news and developments
- February 2014: Paul Funk has updated the solar cooking efforts of Grace Magney and SERVE in Afghanistan with a brief summary, beginning in the early eighties. Read more at Looking back at solar cooking relief efforts in Afghanistan
- October 2012: Parabolic solar cookers delivered to Afghanistan's remote Wakhan Corridor. The Kirghiz tribe live at the end of this slender finger of land in northeastern Afghanistan. Their primary fuel source for cooking has been dried yak dung, creating smoky conditions in their yurts. The buffalo-like yaks are used for most of their transportation needs. In June, Jeff Waalkes in Kirghizstan and Grace Magney with the Global Hope Network in Kabul were able to deliver ten parabolic solar cookers to the tribe. Grace organized the procurement and had the cookers loaded onto a truck. Jeff's responsibility was to get the truck into the Wakhan Corridor, and where the road petered out, strap everything including the solar cookers to the backs of yaks to deliver them to the Kirghiz. Initially hesitant, members of the tribe were soon cooking food and boiling water. See more of Jeff's photos of the delivery.
Audio and video
- July 2014:
- July 2006: Audio interview with Grace Magney discussing the Global Hope Network International solar cooking project in Afghanistan
- Audio interview with George and Grace Magney about solar cooking in Afghanistan (Low bandwidth version)
- March 2016: How to Use a Parabolic Solar Cooker (Dari and English) - Grace Magney
- Global Hope Network International
- February 2005: A slideshow showing the work of Gordon and Grace Magney in Afghanistan during 2004
- July 2009: Remembering Gordon Magney and a quarter century of solar service to Afgans - Solar Cooker Review
- July 2006: An audio interview with Grace Magney discussing their work
- November 2004: Solar Cooker Review
- 2004: Video report by George and Grace Magney, Project Leaders
P.O. Box 3023 Share Nau