We do projects in the rural communities of Nepal focusing on empowering women:
- How to cook food, pasteurize water, and dry food in the sun.
- How to use solar energy to save time and costly fuel.
- How to do retained-heat cooking.
- How to reduce household air pollution.
- How to manage wastes and convert them into fuel briquettes.
- How to empower women community in rural areas through sustainable technologies.
All our efforts address the empowerment of women and aim at establishing a sustainable kitchen in the rural communities. We mostly cover four burning issues: (a) energy and environment, (b) water-borne and smoke-borne diseases, (c) indoor air pollution, and (d) income generation. Based on these things, FoST has developed a wide range of environment-friendly, easily-applicable, sustainable technologies for improving the quality of life of rural communities. We are exploring donors' support for continuing and expanding these efforts.
News and recent developments
- March 2008: The BBC’s annual World Challenge competition honors individuals and organizations that make a difference through enterprise and innovation at a grassroots level. The top 12 projects were promoted on the television program BBC World and in Newsweek magazine, followed by a public voting period. Solar cooker promoter Sanu Kaji reports that his organization, Foundation for Sustainable Technologies (FoST), was a top three finalist, winning $10,000 for its Cooking Without Gas project. The project was selected over nearly 1,000 others. Kaji Shrestha is grateful for the votes and support from the solar cooking community. In a letter to Solar Cookers International, he wrote, “Part of the credit goes to you and your solar cooking network for lobbying, and untiring support in our efforts.” Congratulations to Kaji Shrestha and FoST for this well-deserved honor!
- December 2007: FoST of Nepal is one of the 3 finalists in the World Challenge 2007! As runner up FoST has won $10.000 in the global competition organized by BBC World, Shell and Newsweek.
- October 2007: FoST is among the 12 finalists for the World Challenge 2007. This global competition was set up three years ago by the BBC World, Newsweek and Shell to recognize the innovators of this world. The jury of the World Challenge has chosen FoST as one of the dozen finalists to be filmed for the 2007 series. The popular programmes will be shown on BBC World and featured in Newsweek from October 2007. Over 940 nominations were received which makes reaching the final 12 a great achievement for FoST. The 15 minute documentary film on FoST activities will be released on the BBC World on Saturday 3rd November 2007 and will be repeated as follows: November 3, 2007 at 0930 GMT; November 4, 2007; (not broadcast America or the Middle East) at 0330 GMT, 1330 GMT, and 1830 GMT; November 6, 2007 at 1830 GMT. To vote please go to: http://www.theworldchallenge.co.uk/cooking.php (listed under Cooking Without Gas).
- April 2007: The government of Nepal has adopted a rural energy policy aimed at reducing rural poverty and protecting the environment. The government hopes to encourage local organizations, nongovernmental organizations and cooperatives to develop a variety of new energy sources such as micro hydro, wind and solar. According to FoST director Sanu Kaji Shrestha, the government has recently increased its subsidy for some parabolic-type solar cookers to 4000 rupees per unit, while there also is a 50% subsidy on some solar box cookers. However, he says it is difficult to fulfill the government’s criteria for receiving subsidies. He estimates there are about 2500 solar cookers distributed in rural communities so far.
- January 2013: Solar Cooking with Integrated Systems
Audio and video
- April 2010: Fuel Briquettes Put Energy in the Peoples’ Hands - Engineering for Change
- November 2007: BBC WORLD Documentary featuring FoST Nepal
- March 2007: Sustainable activities in Nepal with the founder of FoST Sanu Kaji Shrestha - Edwin van Gorp and Sandra Wijnveldt
- March 2007: Report on site visit to FoST by Sandra Wijnveldt and family
- July 2006: An audio interview with Sanu Kaji Shrestha
Office: +977 1-4361574
Fx: +977 1-4412997