Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Paper presented by Xavier Devos at the 2006 Granada solar cooking conference.
Title: The Solar Cooking Table
Author: Xavier Devos
Date: July 2006 (Presented at the Solar Cookers and Food Processing International Conference in Granada, Spain)
A new solar cooker
The Solar Cooking Table (Devos cooker) is a solar focusing collector, with an open focus. But many differences and advances are noticeable from the usual parabolic cooker:
- The cooker is made of two main parts: a table and a concentrator.
- The concentrator reflects and focuses the solar rays under the table, where a hole is made, and where you put the pot.
- The concentrator is asymmetrical. That way, it can collect all the solar rays. This also allows the table and the pot not to make any shadow on the concentrator.
- The table protects the cook from burns and dazzles. Even if the focus moves, the table shelters the user and is a safety device to do the cooking quietly.
- There are two simple devices used to track the solar position. The first one allows the control and the tracking of the variation of solar azimuth. The second one allows the tracking of the variation of solar altitude.
- A special device can regulate the heat under the pot. A shutter and an indicator allow the cook to reduce or increase the heat under the pot.
- Main advantages: the Solar Cooking Table allows dishes to be cooked with an open focus, and at high temperatures, in complete safety.
- Applications in Africa : all the dishes can be cooked: tô, different doughs (breads, pastries, porridges), rice with fish, and fried food.
- Applications in Northern countries: as a barbecue or as a fryer.
- As a cooking table: It is possible to access the dish during the cooking, at all times. It allows the cook to knead dough or stir the food while it is heating. It allows the regulation of the temperature and heat during the cooking.
- As a barbecue: it can cook ribs of beef, pork chops, sausages, kebabs, and grilled meat, with a special plate. It can also cook French fried potatoes, fritters, Spanish chouros, doughnut, and all sorts of frying.
The Solar Cooking Table, with a particular size, has given the following results:
- In France, in Normandy (North West), during summer, we obtained the following results:
- Fried potatoes for 4 people cooked in 1 hour.
- Sausages for 4 people cooked in 15 minutes.
- In West Africa:
- in Senegal, it cooked rice with fish.
- In Burkina it cook rice, pasta and fritters.
- Rice for 10 people cooked in 1 hour.
The Solar Cooking Table is easy to use as a barbecue, a fryer or to cook pastry. Depending on the area, it has given good results to do the cooking for 4 to 10 people.
Keywords: Barbecue, Fryer, Table, Open, Safety, Focus, Regulation, Stir.
Appears on these pages
The is a parabolic solar cooker with a table to protect the cook. However, many differences and...
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||05:12, February 25, 2007||(895 KB)||Tom Sponheim||'''Title:'''The Solar Cooking Table '''Author:''' Xavier Devos '''Abstract:''' 1) A new solar cooker The Solar Cooking Table is a solar focusing collector, with an open focus. But many differences and advances are noticeable from the usual parabolic coo|