Did you know that smoke from cooking fires kills more people each year than malaria?
Solar cooking offers a simple, affordable cooking alternative.
Solar Cookers International (SCI) saves and changes lives worldwide with solar cooking technology. Using free sunshine as fuel for cooking and water pasteurization has far-ranging positive effects for families and the environment. Since 1987, SCI has spread solar cooking technology and awareness worldwide, particularly in areas with plentiful sunshine and diminishing sources of cooking fuel. SCI is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization based in Sacramento, California, USA.
Your Donation Makes A Difference
Donations to SCI are tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law.
- Designed the CooKit, the simplest and most-used solar cooker in the world.
- Has provided 30,000 Eastern African families (approximately 150,000 people) with solar cookers and training.
- Implemented the first panel-style solar cooker project in a refugee camp (see Kakuma Refugee Camp).
- Spearheaded the creation of the world's premiere online resource for solar cooking, the Solar Cookers International Network Wiki (this site).
- Provides email and telephone support to thousands of promoters throughout the world.
- Provides a "match-making" service that allow NGOs and individuals in a given country to find others there with which to collaborate.
- One of the earliest to teach that contaminated water only has to heated to 65°C (150°F) to be made safe to drink (see water pasteurization).
- Sponsors SCInet, a network with a membership of 214 NGOs, 76 manufacturers, and 235 individuals actively promoting solar cooking in more than 100 countries.
- Publishes Solar Cooker Review, the most widely read solar cooking periodical.
- Administers the Solar Cookers World Network Facebook group.
- Recipient of the Ashden World Renewable Energy Award for 2002.
- Recipient of the World Renewable Energy Network Award for 2006.
- Has consultative status with the United Nations.
Contact SCI's Executive Director, Julie Greene, at +1 (916) 455 4499 or email@example.com.