The CommunityConservation Initiative ”Linking Projects in Partnership” - Kenya (otherwise known as CCI-Kenya) is a small non-profit making initiative providing project support & facilitation on a volunteer, self-funding basis to a small number of local, indigenous community-led sustainable resource management groups in Kenya. CCI-Kenya was set up & organised in March 2006 by Elizabeth Riddiford, a freelance Project Facilitator from UK.
Community-led self-help projects have been set up & organised by local indigenous people who wish to improve the social, health and economic well-being of their communities, who understand & respect the need to live in harmony with their natural environment, as well as who understand the importance of safeguarding their natural & cultural heritage for future generations. All are looking to exchange ideas & share the benefit of each others experiences, whilst seeking the necessary additional funding, outside practical support, & collaboration to help them overcome a wide range of issues & achieve their common goals, including the following:
- Environmental education, conservation & management
- Training & capacity-building
- Setting up sustainable income-generating activities
- Development & use of energy-saving devices (See Cooking in a Basket blog for more information regarding heat-retention cooking work of this NGO.)
- Improved water harvesting & water catchment facilities
- Improved health-care & HIV/AIDS education
- Education of the girl-children, & other gender-related issues
- Conservation of traditional local languages, aural narrative & cultural heritage
[This text was borrowed from http://www.communityconservation-initiative.org.uk]
News and recent developments
- September 2009: Please note that, apart from the website, CCI-Kenya’s other community support activities are currently on hold until further notice later on in 2010.