Last updated: 20 September 2016
As education is probably the most important component in spreading the benefits and uses of solar cooking, the classroom resources below can be used for learning, and for teaching others, about solar cooking.
- August 2016: Children learn about their solar future - At a week-long day camp in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA, young participants learned how solar energy will integrate into their coming lives. They learned to build solar lanterns, design a solar oven to bake a cake, and working in teams, design their own solar-powered devices. Read more...
- NEW: Solar cooking lesson plans for grades 1-6 - Alison Davis
- Solar Cooking: Warming Up to the Properties of Solar Radiation and Its Uses in Our Homes - PBS LearningMedia
- Make Sun S'mores - NASA
- The Science Behind Solar Cookers A 6th grade classroom exercise that includes the construction of of small test cookers for the students - One Earth Designs
- Free solar oven curriculum for teachers - Grow NYC
- In this activity, students will learn about using the Sun’s energy to meet our needs. They will be introduced to concepts around solar energy needed for solar cooking (heat) – dark colours for absorbing sunlight, greenhouse effect, light colours for reflecting sunlight and insulation. Using this science knowledge, they will then construct and use a solar oven. Making a Solar Oven
- The Fun-Panel solar cooker is a very good design to build in construction workshops. Please see Fun-Panel Class Handout.
- Cook Food Using the Sun - Chicago Museum of Science and Industry
- Solar Cooking Lesson Plan, grades 6-8 Students experiment with a virtual solar cooker to discover the mathematical relationships among reflection, transmission and absorption. Students then apply their knowledge to building and testing a solar oven of their own invention.
- Practical activities to investigate how the sun can be used for food preservation and cooking Provides a range of activities, suitable for mid-primary through to senior secondary school, allowing teachers to choose the level of activity most appropriate to their students’ needs. A little background information for teachers is also provided, as well as a list of additional resources that will provide teachers with more in-depth background information, ideas for assignments and/or more practical activities. Compiled by Queensland Sustainable Energy Industry Development Group, 2004.
- A lesson plan for using the building of a solar cooker as a method of teaching various scientific concepts
Audio and video
- February 2016: Engaging Students in Cross-Curricular Solar Cooker Lessons - Want to know how to inspire and educate the next generation of solar cookers? Expert science teacher Mary Buchenic will explain how solar cooking can be taught across disciplines and to meet curriculum standards. Learn how to teach 1500 children and their families about solar cooking, just like Mary has done. Webinar recordings are available for free to SCI Associates. Click here to join the SCI Association or login and view.
- June 2009:
- Promoting solar cooking
- Solar cooking slide decks
- EZ-3 Solar Cooker
- Aluminum Roasting Pan Solar Cooker
- Project Sheet for ARPSC
- Solar cooking projects carried out by local youth
- Appropedia's sun-related calculations page with many calculations and formulae related to the sun.