Catlin Powers is the Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer of One Earth Designs while pursuing her doctoral degree at Harvard School of Public Health. The main goal of Powers’ work and research is to help communities leverage science and engineering in the evolution of their own innovation lineages rather than abandoning traditional design in favor of well-advertised foreign technologies that may or may not be appropriate within the local context. She founded One Earth Designs (OED) to facilitate this process in the Himalayan region.
One Earth Designs works with Himalayan communities to design and implement science and engineering solutions that help maintain healthy environments in a locally appropriate manner. OED has been recognized for several innovative community centered designs including the SolSource (a low-cost solar cooking, heating, and electricity generating device), HeatSource Textiles (a low-cost thermal storage fabric for mobile personal heating), and various innovations in the area of water quality testing and sanitation.
News and recent developments
- August 2009: Research Projects for People Prosperity and the Planet - EPA
- June 2009: Global Service Blog - Change.Org
- June 2009: Seed Grant Awards - Legatum Center
- May 2009: SolSource 3-in-1: An Alternative Energy Solution - WordChanging
- May 2009: The SolSource Wins, 2009 - St Andrews Prize for the Environment
- April 2009: 2009 Awards - MIT IDEAS
- April 2009: SolSource Demonstration - Discovery Channel Daily Planet Interview
- October 2008: Five to Watch - Featured in Boston Globe
Articles in the Media
- October 2013: Solar-powered cooker puts local clean energy start-up on the global map - South China Morning Post
Audio and video