Last updated: 12 July 2018
Photovoltaic cooking offers another approach to harvesting the sun to cook food. Instead of using the sun's direct radiation to cook, these systems use photovoltaic cells to create electricity that is used to power an electric stove. With the availability of a energy storing battery, the cooker would be able to be used after sunset. Photovoltaic cells are also used to power fans to increase the efficiency of Improved combustion stoves.
There is a concern though that the production of the solar cells uses a great deal of energy itself. The cells may have to create power for up to 37 months just to balance the amount of energy used in their manufacture.
- NEW: June 2018: PV supplements solar cooking - Seggy T Segaran has experimented with adding more cooking power to a solar box cooker, provided by a heating pad located inside the cooker. It is powered by the nearby 100w photovoltaic panel. He reports the heating pad on its own put around 35 watts of power into the solar cooker. When placed in the sun, the cooker ran at around 70 watts of combined solar and electric power.
- NEW: March 2016: Antonia Lecouna Neumann reports: "We use erythritol as heat storage material, cheap, durable, edible and has a melting heat similar to ice. We found it superior to other alternatives although long term durability is still an issue." Read more...
- January 2018: DryEcoMate – An Horticultural Dehydrator, Using Solar Thermal and Photovoltaic Energy, Low Cost Production, Modular and Portable (Slides, Paper) - J. Garcia, et al
- January 2018: Photovoltaic Solar Cooking with Thermal Energy Storage (TES) (Slides, Paper) - Antonio Lecuona-Neumann, et al
- November 2017: Compact photovoltaic 12v induction cooker prototype - Puttaraj & Ashok Kundapur
- January 2017: All Time Operating Solar Cookers for Indoor and Outdoor Cooking - Smita B. Joshi and A. R. Jani
Articles in the media
- NEW: July 2018: Centre plans to introduce solar cooking facilities for every rural household in next 4-5 years, says Piyush Goyal - Mumbai Mirror
- May 2018: Photovoltaic cooking makes sense - IDTechEx
- April 2018: IIT-B sends cooking for a SIX - The Asian Age
- April 2018: IIMK LIVE hosts Live Demo of Solar Cooking Innovation - India EducationDiary.com
- November 2017: Green Energy Research Centre, IUB update - The Daily Star (Combined with photovoltaic farming innovations, GERC mentions developing their photovoltaic powered cooker to meet the needs of a family for regular cooking purposes.)
- November 2015: Benin tackles climate change with sunshine and coconuts - Pakistan Ki Awaz
Audio and video
- NEW: June 2018:
All construction plans
Pages in category "Photovoltaic cooker designs"
The following 4 pages are in this category, out of 4 total.