Last updated: 24 October 2017
Bangladeshi woman solar cooking during a flood
- October 2017: Seeking answers to improve stove efficiency - Participants met at the Daily Star Centre in Dhaka, Bangladesh for a roundtable discussion, which focused on promoting the use of improved combustion stoves. The event was sponsored by the Infrastructure Development Company Ltd (IDCOL), a state-run financial institution, and The Daily Star news organization. One speaker, Dr. Ainun Nishat, suggested the group needed to broaden its horizon beyond biomass stoves, and consider solar cooking as an option. Read more...
- July 2009: Terry Elliott reports that he and his wife Carole have been busy raising solar cooker awareness in the village of Boroudha, where Carole founded the Wear Surma Child Health Clinic in 1992. While at the clinic, the Elliotts became increasingly aware of health problems caused by traditional indoor cooking fires. Children are often burned in these fires, and the smoke causes respiratory illnesses. Firewood is also expensive, whereas solar energy is free. In addition to demonstrations at hotels and in the village, the Elliotts solar cooked a meal of fish, vegetable curry, lentils and rice for several local Rotarians. “To say that the group was impressed is an understatement … they are hooked!” says Elliott. The Rotary Club of Jalalabad in Sylhet has proposed to set up a workshop to manufacture 1,000 solar cookers and hire trainers to teach solar cooking in a number of villages in northeastern Bangladesh. The budget for the project is about UK £6000, and a matching grant may be requested from Rotary International.
Climate and culture
- April 2014: Lutfur Rahman sees the need for a solar cooker that would include photovoltaic panels and battery storage as part of the solar cooker. The simple electrical addition would provide power for modest LED in-home lighting. Solar Cooker for Vulnerable Coastal Areas - Lutfur Rahman
- January 2009: Solar Drying of Mushrooms in Bangladesh - B. K. Bala, M. A. Morshed, M. F. Rahman
- May 2008: Solar Cookers: Bangladesh Perspective - Akter Hossain
Articles in the media
- October 2017: Green initiative goes slow, lacks support - The Daily Star
- February 2010: Introducing Clean Technologies - The Financial Express
Manufacturers and vendors