Recently Tinytech Plants have developed the Butterfly Community Solar Cooker of 8 square meters. The main benefits of this community cooker are given below. Compared it with the Scheffler Community Kitchen which is highly scientific equipment for cooking and nothing can come to its level. However for ordinary people in India who can not understand polar axis, latitude, can not fix perfect north south direction etc, this cooker will provide simple alternative with a little trouble to focus it manually every 5 to 10 minutes which of course is fairly often.
- As there are two equal reflectors - one on each side-, weight is balanced and hence it does not require foundations in the ground. It is mounted on 4 castor wheels and can be revolved and shifted in any direction at any moment even while cooking. In Scheffler Reflector, by contrast, it is essential to fix the cooker with ground by RCC foundations.
- It is not necessary to find out north south direction. In Scheffler Reflector, it is essential to fix north-south line and fit the cooker on that line.
- It does not require to install on polar axis. So no latitude of the location is necessary to know. In Scheffler Reflector, it is essential to fix entire structure to revolve around polar axis and hence latitude of the location must be known.
- It does not require any seasonal adjustment. In Scheffler Reflector, it is essential to make seasonal adjustment every week.
- It is dispatched in dismantled condition and it can be assembled at site very quickly without any expert guidance. So installation staff is not necessary. In Scheffler Reflector, it is essential to send expert person for installation.
- 100% reflector area is utilized as aperture area as against 70 to 80 aperture area is used in Scheffler reflector. So 8 sq mt butterfly is equivalent to 10 sq mt Scheffler reflector.
- Both wings (reflectors) can be folded vertically on hinges very quickly. Hence when not in use, it will occupy very less space.
- It can be quickly adjusted against focus by any layman without any training.
- The cost of Butterfly cooker of equal capacity is far less than Scheffler reflector.
Limitations of Butterfly community cookers are as under:
- Tracking is manual. So every 5 to 10 minutes, one has to adjust the tracking. It can be done instantly just visually.
- As entire cooker revolves on castor wheels, smooth, finished ground surface is necessary, at least 3 meters diameter circle.