Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Last updated: 24 January 2016
Bob is well known for his work on solar water pasteurization and solar cookers in many countries. He has been able to confirm that contaminated water need only be heated to 65 °C (149 °F) to make it safe to drink, whereas it is commonly thought that water has to be boiled for up to 20 minutes to render it safe.
Bob was selected as the 2000-2001 Outstanding Teacher in the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics at California State University in Sacramento, California. Award criteria include teaching effectiveness and impact on the lives and careers of students.
News and recent developments
- November 2013: Study of water treatment in Kenya demonstrates the effectiveness of the WAPI - Dr. Robert Metcalf, research microbiologist, and Friends of the Old worked together on a study to compare results of various water treatment chemicals to the WAPI water pasteurization indicator used with a CooKit solar cooker. One finding of note is that the WAPI, when used with the CooKit, was 100% effective in producing negative results for E.coli, while the WaterGuard (3 drops/liter) method was only effective in most cases. Read the study at: The Goal is Zero: A Strategy to Eliminate Water-bourne Disease in Lower Nyakach, Kenya
- July 10, 2012: Dr. Robert Metcalf discusses solar cooking discussed on the Afternoon Edition (Saskatchewan, Canada) - listen to the recording.
- August 2009: Dr. Bob Metcalf gave a very informative interview to Kirk Hamilton PA-C, of http://www.prescription2000.com, an online resource that delivers credible nutrition research to health professionals and to the public. Listen here. There is also a transcript available.
- June 2008: Solar Cookers International (SCI) has begun the Safe Water Project in Kenya led by SCI founder and board president Dr. Bob Metcalf, a professor of Biological Sciences at California State University, Sacramento. Bob’s development of a Portable Microbiology Laboratory (PML) will allow rural health workers and community members to test water quality in the field by assessing levels of Escherichia coli contamination. The revolutionary PML can be used anywhere by practically anyone, and it will liberate government ministries in charge of water analysis who have had difficulties gauging water quality in rural areas due to travel limitations and technical expenses. Anticipated outcomes from the project include significant reductions in the incidence of waterborne diseases in over 20 communities, and broader community awareness of simple and effective water testing and water pasteurization techniques. A training was begun in June 2008 with officials and representatives from the Kenya Water Resources Management Authority and the Kenya Ministry of Health. This is the first time that these two government ministries have collaborated on a project like this, and we are thrilled to have their participation and support. Major funding for this program has come from the Richard and Rhoda Goldman Fund, for which we are very grateful!
- November 2007: Solar Cookers International (SCI) will undertake a two-year pilot project to increase water quality awareness and introduce the Portable Microbiology Laboratory and the Safe Water Package to communities in western Kenya. The effort will be led by SCI founder and board member Dr. Bob Metcalf, professor of Biological Sciences at California State University, Sacramento. (More information.)
Audio and video
- June 2012
- August 2010: Health Benefits of Solar Cookers, Water pasteurization and Portable Microbiology Laboratories - An Interview with Dr. Bob Metcalf
- April 2009
- December 2002: Audio interview with Dr. Bob Metcalf
- Bob Metcalf's vision of solar cooking. Presented at the GlobeScope Conference (Question and answer session after talk)
- Pasteurization of Naturally Contaminated Water with Solar Energy - Dr. Robert Metcalf
- Water pasteurization
- Portable Microbiology Laboratory
- Solar Cookers International
- Sari cloth filtering
- October 2008: Google video of Bob Metcalf discussing recent developments in water testing in Kenya
- September 2007: Bob Metcalf interviewed on Sacramento NPR program
- May 2007: Sacramento’s Solar Cookers International uses the sun to improve quality of life, one village at a time - Sacramento News Review
- Recent Advances in Solar Water Pasteurization
- Bob Metcalf's 2006 Granada conference presentation on solar water pasteurization. Audio: 16k, 8k -- Slides: PDF
- Bob Metcalf's vision of solar cooking. Presented at the GlobeScope Conference in the late '90s. Audio: (8k -- RealAudio).
- December 2003: Professor sees solar solution to safer water - Sacramento State News
- December 2002: A 2002 audio interview with Bob Metcalf where he explains the science behind food safety and water pasteurization
- December 2000: Solar Water Pasteurization in Tanzania - Bob Metcalf
- The Energy Crisis on a Global Scale - Bob Metcalf