Last updated: February 9, 2015
Blazing Tube Solar manufactures the trough-style Blazing Tube Solar Appliance and the Sol*Saver Water Pasteurizer. Their mission is promoting the use of solar energy in developing countries, which has also been the goal of many organizations worldwide. Appropriate applications of solar in such regions, include electric production, thermal water disinfection, food drying, and solar cooking. However, as is the case with solar energy in general, the adoption by families in developing countries has been minimal. Initial cost, ease of use, reliability and long-term durability have often been significant factors, which has dissuaded widespread use.
Both the BTSA and the Sol*Saver display high solar absorption efficiencies and can be implemented in many regions of the world. On clear days, both devices can produce three cycles of production. This means the BTSA can cook up to three meals worth of food, and the Sol*Saver can disinfect 24 bottles of safe drinking water. In more cloudy weather, the number of cycles decreases, but some production is assured. Only full rainy weather prevents the successful utilization of these units.
News and developments
- October 2015: The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) reports that they have delivered Blazing Tube Solar Appliances to 601 households in Burkina Faso. Read more...
- February 2015: A refugee woman in Burkina Faso cooks rice with a Blazing Tube solar cooker. The stove is assembled in the USA and costs around $100USD. Oliver Lompo, UNHCR Environment Officer in Burkina Faso explained the impact the stove has had. “Beforehand, refugee women had to walk several hours a day to collect firewood. Since we have a lot of sunshine, the stove allows them to cook without spending any more time on firewood collection. And, more importantly, it does not produce any smoke - people love it.” - UNCHR
- October 2014: John Grandinetti reports that Blazing Tube Solar has distributed more than 1000 solar cookers in Namibia, Burkina Faso, and Niger.
- May 2010 Four hundred and fifty Sol*Saver Water Pasteurizers have recently been shipped to Haiti to assist with safe water availability. This is happening through the efforts of John Grandinetti, a solar inventor.
Articles in the media
- October 2015: Blazing Tube Solar Cookers in Burkina Faso Refugee Camps - The Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves
Blazing Tube Solar