Last updated: 5 March 2018
Bernhard Müller was Manager of Research and Development for Mueller Solartechnik in Offenheim, Germany. He is the inventor of the Pil Kaar, Kundu Kaar, Zèbre and Mata Hari solar cookers and modified the Primrose of Roger Bernard. Bernhard is a founding member of the Solar Cookers International Network, a member of American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers (ASABE), a member of International Solar Energy Society (ISES), and supporting member of EG-Solar e.V.
The solar cooker production ended in 2012 (retirement). As per November 2012 Bernhard Müller limits his activities to consulting, independent solar cookers tests and publication of information on solar cooking.
- NEW: March 2018: AfriShiners workshop coming in June - Hosted by the Giving Hope Foundation, will be the 2nd international workshop on clean cooking and food processing. The event organizer and Lernen - Helfen - Leben e.V. board member, Bernhard Müller, will be on hand with the Baba Moto improved combustion stove, and will be speaking on energy management. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Faustine Odaba leads a workshop on fireless cookers. Visit to a local solar stove testing facility. Preliminary Program information...
- January 2018: Bernhard Müller has released the handbook for the design of his new Baba Moto improved combustion wood stove. Baba Moto improved combustion wood stove - (English version)
- November 2017: Bernhard Müller of Lernen - Helfen - Leben e.V. held a 2-day solar cooking workshop at the Korando Education Centre in Kisumu County, Kenya. Topics included the use of solar cookers, heat-retention cooking, thermodynamics, optics, thermoelectrical generators (TEGs), gasifiers, health issues related to traditional cookstoves, the Uridu anti-poverty campaign, and the use of a WAPI. The intra-African coordination for the event was done by Faustine Odaba and the local coordination was done by John Amayo. The solar cookers used in the workshop were Sharon Clausson’s Copenhagen Solar Cooker Light, One Earth Designs' SolSource, a TWR box cooker of 1994, Kenyan made CooKit panel cookers, a LightOven of Hartmut Ehmler, and a funnel cooker designed by Bernhard Müller.
- April 2017: Bernhard Müller has been elected as board member of the German development aid organisation Lernen - Helfen - Leben e.V.
- March 2016: Bernhard Müller has written an excellent explanation of how fuel-efficient gasifier stoves work and are constructed. See: Gasifiers
- November 2014: Bernhard Müller started a fundraiser at betterplace.org to support seminars and workshops directed at the use and production of fireless cookers for the Kenyan NGOs NAREWAMA and FOTO."
- October 2014: Bernie Müller is working on the development of a counter-current solar food dryer which saves 50% on space and materials compared to common solar tunnel dryers. Involved in the development are Faustine Odaba of NAREWAMA, John Amayo of SURE, Prof. Wilson Ogola of the Technical University of Kenya as well as some experts from Uganda. NAREWAMA has also appointed Bernhard Müller as their Technical coordinator for Europe.
- April 2014: Bernie Müller describes his latest approach for measuring the aperture openings, or solar collection area, for solar cookers here: Explanations of the Aperture Area - Bernhard Müller
- September 2013: Bernie Müller invented the Jar-in-Jar heat trap and gave some of them to NGOs in Kenya. Learn more about this in the Wiki-rubrics Glazing and Solar cooking pots.
- December 2012: Bernie Müller has published findings based on his experimentation with a twin Fresnel lens solar cooker. This cooker was never meant to be a production prototype, and his company, Mueller Solartechnik, no longer manufactures solar cookers. As an engineering exercise, he has shown that incorporating the Fresnel lens produces quite high temperatures: 278 °C (532 °F). However, the usable cooking area is small.
- November 2012: Bernie Mueller finished the solar cookers manufacturing activities and limited the business to consulting, designs of new cookers, publication of various brochures and independent solar cookers tests.
- November 2016: Food drying attachment for solar panel cookers - Bernhard Müller
- July 2016: Solar food processing in Eastern Africa – a summary - Bernhard Müller
- October 2015: Presentation: Tabula rasa - Ein Drama in vier Sätzen - Bernhard Müller
- Die Parabel, Brochure (German), 36 pages, ISBN 978-3-8442-4131-0, epubli GmbH, Berlin
Audio and video
- December 2014:
- July 2014: