Last edited: 28 August 2018
My (Jim La Joie's) goal is to have an established solar cooking agency adopt the All Season Solar Cooker as its own.
If your mission is to promote solar cooking and introduce the most cost efficient designs, to pasteurize a greater quantity of water, and to cook a greater amount of food on any solar day, please continue reading.
I have tested the All Season Solar Cooker (ASSC) against commercially available panel and box cookers. Because of its ability to efficiently capture the rising sun, the All Season Solar Cooker pasteurizes more water in a single solar day.
I recently tested the ASSC against the world famous CooKit. The test involved pasteurizing water. The only variable was the design of the cooker. Both were reoriented once per hour. When the water in a cooker reached 160º the container was emptied and filled with fresh cold water.
At the end of the day, the ASSC had produced 8 liters of safe water. The CooKit had produced 4.
The key design feature of the ASSC is its adjustable, coordinated reflector array. The ASSC, working from one of two initial orientations "summer/midday" or "winter/morning", can focus on a solar elevation of 40º to 90º (summer) or 0º to 50º (winter). The ASSC accomplishes this while maintaining a level cooking floor at all times. The advantage of the ASSC is that it can efficiently capture the earliest morning sun - starting cooking far earlier than most other designs. The solar cook can obtain cooking-level temperatures from sunup to sundown.The ASSC folds into flat package that is very light weight for easy transportation and shipping.
The low cost and high efficiency of the All Season Solar Cooker make it a great choice for solar cooking agencies’ distribution programs.
- February 2018: Updated website: All Season Solar Cooker
- December 2015: Great news: After nearly 10 years of trying to get an international aid agency interested in the ASSC design, we have finally been approached and have sent samples to Nairobi, Kenya. Our web site continues to be popular with readers from over 140 countries visiting each month. This past year we have discovered a number of unsolicited video reviews for both the manufactured and home-built versions of the ASSC. We could not be happier that users have honored the design with their video testimonials.
- August 2013: Recently the All Season Solar Cooker has received increasing interest from those interested in disaster preparation and survival. Preparation and Survival groups have hosted workshops and have been building the ASSC from plans or from blanks purchased from the inventor. We are nearing production of a retail grade All Season Solar Cooker. Machine cut and covered, the newest model sports a slightly larger cooking area (12" by 12" vs. 11" by 11") to accommodate commonly available glassware and pots. The new combination of glassware and pots includes the 3 pound cooker from SCI and two 4 quart Pyrex mixing bowls. Education and some sales are handled through http://solarcooker.biz, and the ASSC is now available through Amazon. We continue our international outreach efforts and are working with agencies to support their solar cooking promotion efforts.
- NEW: August 2018: Solar Cookers International Performance Evaluation Process (PEP) results: All Season Solar Cooker 2.0
- NEW: August 2018: Solar Cookers International Performance Evaluation Process (PEP) results: All Season Solar Cooker 1.0
Audio and video
- April 2016:
August 2013: (Parts 1 & 2)
- Purchase an All Season Solar Cooker 2.0 on Amazon